Sportsound Watch

6 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

rather than those commentators like Jonathan Pearce who want to make out they are experts rather then just there to add a bit of context to the footage.

I can't stand Pearce's disdain for pretty much whatever he's watching or his flat intonation when he is certain something is about to happen and is almost bored.

Just comes across as a stuck-up prat.

1 hour ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Agree with both these comments. Jock Brown on the BBC games with Archie MacPherson doing the STV games meant I always watched Sportscene on a Saturday but didn't watch Scotsport unless Dunfermline were in the featured game. Brown was very knowledgeable and allowed the footage to do the talking.

Andrew Cotter is superb. I think I first heard him do Rugby, then Golf, then Tennis and recently Athletics. He seems to have a reasonable grasp of all the sports he covers while allowing the summariser to add depth or insight rather than those commentators like Jonathan Pearce who want to make out they are experts rather then just there to add a bit of context to the footage.

Jock Brown was Scotsport on Grampian/STV, and pensions deception expert Archie McPherson was on the BBC.

1 hour ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Agree with both these comments. Jock Brown on the BBC games with Archie MacPherson doing the STV games meant I always watched Sportscene on a Saturday but didn't watch Scotsport unless Dunfermline were in the featured game. Brown was very knowledgeable and allowed the footage to do the talking.

Andrew Cotter is superb. I think I first heard him do Rugby, then Golf, then Tennis and recently Athletics. He seems to have a reasonable grasp of all the sports he covers while allowing the summariser to add depth or insight rather than those commentators like Jonathan Pearce who want to make out they are experts rather then just there to add a bit of context to the footage.

Another few I'll mention from my watching of other sports.

Ned Boulding - football journalist at ITV that became a cycling commentator/presenter

Rob Hatch - Cricket/Cycling commentator that has a reputation on twitter for being the pronunciation police a la Derek Rae

43 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Jock Brown was Scotsport on Grampian/STV, and pensions deception expert Archie McPherson was on the BBC.

Brown ultimately moved to the Beeb at which point (I think) the voice of a football, Gerry McNee took the reins on Scotsport.

5 minutes ago, Pettigrew said:

Brown ultimately moved to the Beeb at which point (I think) the voice of a football, Gerry McNee took the reins on Scotsport.

Aye. This was the situation when I started watching in the early 90sish.

5 hours ago, hearthammer said:

Agree Arab. I think that Derek Rae is streets ahead of the rest from his time at BT Sport, but when he was starting out as a rookie, much of what he was trying to do was spoiled by either team being in frequent forward or defensive "mode".  Used to piss me off big time, but he's improved to his latest current deliveries via a stint doing South American football for the english speaking channels over the years.

Best commentator in the UK ?? - Andrew Cotter.   Shame he doesn't extend his dulcet and knowledgeable tones to football.

He had a bizarre transatlantic accent way back then too, so no surprise he went stateside eventually. His going created the vacancy for Dicky Gordon on Sportsound though.

3 hours ago, JTS98 said:

Aye. This was the situation when I started watching in the early 90sish.

And Erchie was on Scotsport by the time of Sarah O and the wee orcadian fella. He was still with them when they finally pulled the plug. I picked up his autobiography in a charity shop and he didn't hold back re: that pair.

I remember Scotsport in my childhood being Arthur Montford, Ian Archer and Sally McNair in the studio with Jock Brown commentating.

I don't take BT Sport anymore but their Scottish highlights package, I assume a 'for the world' package had Brown commentating last season.

Edited by cmontheloknow

5 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

The worst commentator is some English woman who sometimes does games on MOTD. She's atrocious and everything is overstated with a put on voice that is incredibly annoying.

You mean that's not a schoolboy commentating?

3 hours ago, Pettigrew said:

Aye, Archie quit the BBC after Italia 90. He then went to Radio Clyde and provided surreal radio commentaries that Salvador Dali would have approved of. Nobody listening had a clue what was happening on the park.

I agree on both counts.
Jock Brown's commentary is actually ridiculously positive. Everything is fucking amazing, even the most average piece of action. But he knew the teams and he was fair and good to listen to. An excellent commentator.
The Aguerooooo stuff is just an example of the hype machine that is tv trying to make itself part of a memory. What else was he likely to say in such an off-the-cuff moment?
I seriously don't understand how anyone can hate the aguerooooo moment of commentary.

Presumably you didn't watch it live?

It was unbelievable how that league campaign ended. Genuinely spine tingling. They were massive favourites to win the game at a canter and proceeded to f**k it up massively. Man United had all but finished and the title was theirs. It was an incredible end to a season and there was nothing fake or over-hyped in Tyler's reaction.

45 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

I seriously don't understand how anyone can hate the aguerooooo moment of commentary.

It was unbelievable how that league campaign ended. Genuinely spine tingling. They were massive favourites to win the game at a canter and proceeded to f**k it up massively. Man United had all but finished and the title was theirs. It was an incredible end to a season and there was nothing fake or over-hyped in Tyler's reaction.

Inclined to agree with this. I remember watching this in the pub, fairly ambivalent to how it would work out at the start, like most of the people I was with and, I assume, most of the other people who were there in general. It was such an afternoon of swings one way and the other, Joey Barton being Joey Barton, and by the end, I don't remember even hearing the agueroooooooo moment until later that night because the pub had erupted. The drama of the afternoon was fitting of the reaction in the pub and in the commentary box, I reckon.

2 hours ago, cmontheloknow said:

And Erchie was on Scotsport by the time of Sarah O and the wee orcadian fella. He was still with them when they finally pulled the plug. I picked up his autobiography in a charity shop and he didn't hold back re: that pair.

Can you expand a wee bit on what he said about those two?

2 hours ago, pandarilla said:

Watched it live on Polish tv. It was fine without Martin Tyler too.

Aye, Archie quit the BBC after Italia 90. He then went to Radio Clyde and provided surreal radio commentaries that Salvador Dali would have approved of. Nobody listening had a clue what was happening on the park.

I'm pretty sure his contract was not renewed as he was accused of being too critical about Scotland's poor performance against Costa Rica.