Sportsound Watch

His entire commentary is about trying to make as many soundbites as possible. Every little thing is exaggerated to the nth degree. "And THAT. IS. A. CORNER."
He probably cries himself to sleep with jealousy every time he hears Tyler's "AGuerrrrrooooooooooo".
 He's a fanny.
Think it was a Hampden game he launched into a rant for a Celtic goal, maybe even just an equaliser.... THAT IS WHY THEY ARE TREBLE TREBLE HUNTERS or some pish like that. Can remember a lot of folk on here at the time commenting how fucking cringy it was

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:
1 hour ago, Rugster said:
His entire commentary is about trying to make as many soundbites as possible. Every little thing is exaggerated to the nth degree. "And THAT. IS. A. CORNER."
He probably cries himself to sleep with jealousy every time he hears Tyler's "AGuerrrrrooooooooooo".
 He's a fanny.

Think it was a Hampden game he launched into a rant for a Celtic goal, maybe even just an equaliser.... THAT IS WHY THEY ARE TREBLE TREBLE HUNTERS or some pish like that. Can remember a lot of folk on here at the time commenting how fucking cringy it was

You hear this pish everywhere now. Match of the Day can be quite bad for it. The eternal hunt for the reusable soundbite.

There's a cringey bit of commentary in our 4-0 cup semi win over Hibs when Ian Crocker squeals that Paul Hartley is "what a hero...a super hero". It's so obvious he knew he had to hit out with some kind of pish like that but had no idea where to go.

Football commentators actually make it quite embarrassing to watch football in the company of people who don't like football.

Edited by JTS98

1 hour ago, Rugster said:

He's a fanny.

You’re spot on. The Sportscene podcast after live games often starts with his commentary at the final whistle and as you say it’s just mindless screaming in search of a soundbite. It’s like when the final whistle goes a switch is flicked in his brain.

12 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I forget who scored on the counter attack in th Nou Camp when Gary Neville attempted to grab his iconic soundbite, and instead made a noise like a walrus being shagged to death

No one remembers who scored. All anyone ever remembers is "Oooohohoohohoosooooogoowawwwwwaaawwww"

Not sure if it was this thread, but I've probably mentioned this before.

Rob MacLean commentated for Sportscene on our 3-0 win at Ibrox in 1996.

When Alan Johnston scored our (and his) second, MacLean went for "HEEEE'S done it AGAIN!".

A few years later he pulled out the exact same line in a big win for Killie (maybe 6-0?) at Dunfermline. I'd watched the highlights of our win at Ibrox so many times that I noticed it immediately. Exactly the same intonation and everything. Maybe Ian Durrant scoring for Killie?

I forget who scored on the counter attack in th Nou Camp when Gary Neville attempted to grab his iconic soundbite, and instead made a noise like a walrus being shagged to death

No one remembers who scored. All anyone ever remembers is "Oooohohoohohoosooooogoowawwwwwaaawwww"

I’m sure it was Torres scoring for Atletico Madrid. If I’m wrong fair enough, if I’m correct I expect plaudits.

1 hour ago, JTS98 said:

Not sure if it was this thread, but I've probably mentioned this before.

Rob MacLean commentated for Sportscene on our 3-0 win at Ibrox in 1996.

When Alan Johnston scored our (and his) second, MacLean went for "HEEEE'S done it AGAIN!".

A few years later he pulled out the exact same line in a big win for Killie (maybe 6-0?) at Dunfermline. I'd watched the highlights of our win at Ibrox so many times that I noticed it immediately. Exactly the same intonation and everything. Maybe Ian Durrant scoring for Killie?

It was John Barnes who did that commentary. I was at this game and it was shit.

4 hours ago, Rugster said:

He's a fanny.

Tyler's "Aguerrrrooooooooooo" works so well because of the moment. It wasn't like he's figured out what he was going to say. Which is exactly how McLeod sounds.

5 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

It was John Barnes who did that commentary. I was at this game and it was shit.

Hmm. I've got the wrong game then. This was one with the commentary done live. Or as live.

Jock Brown was the best commentator. He didn't patronise teams and actually seemed to know about them. He had the voice for it too, which so many commentators simply don't.

Incidentally I hate that 'Agueroooooooooooooo' piece of commentary. Utter shite.

1 hour ago, ArabAuslander said:

In terms of commentators (in a Scottish context):
1. Derek Rae
2. Rory Hamilton
3. Rob MacLean
4. Andy Burke (hot take I know but he's quite measured)
5. Paul Mitchell

Agree Arab. I think that Derek Rae is streets ahead of the rest from his time at BT Sport, but when he was starting out as a rookie, much of what he was trying to do was spoiled by either team being in frequent forward or defensive "mode".  Used to piss me off big time, but he's improved to his latest current deliveries via a stint doing South American football for the english speaking channels over the years.

Best commentator in the UK ?? - Andrew Cotter.   Shame he doesn't extend his dulcet and knowledgeable tones to football.

23 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Jock Brown was the best commentator. He didn't patronise teams and actually seemed to know about them. He had the voice for it too, which so many commentators simply don't.

Incidentally I hate that 'Agueroooooooooooooo' piece of commentary. Utter shite.

I agree on both counts.

Jock Brown's commentary is actually ridiculously positive. Everything is fucking amazing, even the most average piece of action. But he knew the teams and he was fair and good to listen to. An excellent commentator.

The Aguerooooo stuff is just an example of the hype machine that is tv trying to make itself part of a memory. What else was he likely to say in such an off-the-cuff moment?

4 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

I agree on both counts.

Jock Brown's commentary is actually ridiculously positive. Everything is fucking amazing, even the most average piece of action. But he knew the teams and he was fair and good to listen to. An excellent commentator.

The Aguerooooo stuff is just an example of the hype machine that is tv trying to make itself part of a memory. What else was he likely to say in such an off-the-cuff moment?

Yup, good summing up of Brown there.

The worst thing about the 'Agueroooooo' shite is that so many folk try to copy it and make their own 'moments', as others have pointed out here.

The worst commentator is some English woman who sometimes does games on MOTD. She's atrocious and everything is overstated with a put on voice that is incredibly annoying.

Agree Arab. I think that Derek Rae is streets ahead of the rest from his time at BT Sport, but when he was starting out as a rookie, much of what he was trying to do was spoiled by either team being in frequent forward or defensive "mode".  Used to piss me off big time, but he's improved to his latest current deliveries via a stint doing South American football for the english speaking channels over the years.
Best commentator in the UK ?? - Andrew Cotter.   Shame he doesn't extend his dulcet and knowledgeable tones to football.

Agree with both these comments. Jock Brown on the BBC games with Archie MacPherson doing the STV games meant I always watched Sportscene on a Saturday but didn't watch Scotsport unless Dunfermline were in the featured game. Brown was very knowledgeable and allowed the footage to do the talking.

Andrew Cotter is superb. I think I first heard him do Rugby, then Golf, then Tennis and recently Athletics. He seems to have a reasonable grasp of all the sports he covers while allowing the summariser to add depth or insight rather than those commentators like Jonathan Pearce who want to make out they are experts rather then just there to add a bit of context to the footage.