Sportsound Watch

7 hours ago, G-MAN said:

The re-incarnation are worse. Living in Glasgow I can honestly say they are the most self entitled, arrogant and confrontational fans I’ve ever been in the company with - and that’s work colleagues !!

Self entitled is exactly it. They use a football team that wins most of their games as a barometer on how well their life is going. They also use it to discredit other people’s opinions that they view as lesser because it comes from a person who supports a team that doesn’t win most of the time. If only they could step back and see what they are associating themselves with. 

4 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

I think this is spot on. I have good friends that support Rangers, who are sensible, clever guys when talking about most subjects. When the subject is Rangers or anything to do with Brexit and Scottish independence, they become the most blinkered, blinded people you could imagine. They become the stereotypical rangers fan. The football team they support dictates their opinion and no matter how many facts you give them, they revert to type every time. I’ve asked for their arguments against but they don’t have any, they just know that they need to hold the same opinion as the majority of Rangers fans  

I’ve grown to realise it’s not entirely their fault, and if I had been brought up in the same way that they have, then it’s conceivable that I could hold those same opinions. It’s very sad but unfortunately we live in a country full of easily swayed idiots. 

I have a friend exactly like that. Intelligent, logical, a good laugh, but as soon as you mention Rangers or Neil Lennon, he turns into a totally different person. Aggressive, defensive and turns into the biggest ‘aye but what about them?’ Rangers fan going. 

It’s quite worrying to see, it’s almost like someone has flicked a switch and he turns into a totally different person.

27 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Apparently Billy Dodds admitted to singing sectarian songs live on air, btw.

I believe what he and Dodds said was that they “used to sing those songs but it’s not acceptable now “  Its only taken them 30 odd years to realise this .....which I suppose is progress 

As for the decent sevco fans , there are some , my brother in law and ex pharmacist had a meeting with sevco s CEO to point out the problem of sectarianism, especially at away games . This was before their all inclusive campaign. He fully intends to point out this unacceptable behaviour today at St Mirren , to the police . I’ve told him to wear a helmet and stab vest ! It’s a start 

10 minutes ago, Rugster said:

No he didn’t. 

Just what I'd read elsewhere. Apparently talked about how he was at Ibrox in his youth and the songs were sung, but its unacceptable now because those singing it dont understand the words.

4 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Self entitled is exactly it. They use a football team that wins most of their games as a barometer on how well their life is going. They also use it to discredit other people’s opinions that they view as lesser because it comes from a person who supports a team that doesn’t win most of the time. If only they could step back and see what they are associating themselves with. 

A celtic fan a accusing others of being self entitled, seriously......

The irony in that post is off the scale....

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Just what I'd read elsewhere. Apparently talked about how he was at Ibrox in his youth and the songs were sung, but its unacceptable now because those singing it dont understand the words.

Nice copy of Kenny's..... Post, it was very handy for you.

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

That was Derek Ferguson. 

4 minutes ago, bennett said:

Screenshot_20190825-084135_Chrome.thumb.jpg.fd0595a69f226c130faf435e812c7308.jpg

Clicked on the wrong thread when looking up Hibs opinions on the game yesterday.

Guest Moomintroll
It was definitely Ferguson who said he 'sang certain songs' when he was younger, though he did go on to say that young kids are impressionable and copy what their dad, granddad does etc....
Indoctrination writ large, that is the issue in this country, the arse cheeks bitter poison & bile passed through the generations. The cycle has to be broken but unless Strict Liability is brought in & adhered to, it will never happen.

1 hour ago, bennett said:

A celtic fan a accusing others of being self entitled, seriously......

The irony in that post is off the scale....

I’m aware Celtic fans are equally as bad, it’s part of the reason I don’t support Celtic anymore. 

This is as close as it gets for a red top rag to being critical of either Fran or Anna.  Hope the0 Record and the Sun do their usual and start competing with one another to see who can be the most self-righteous  "i told you so - you read/heard it first here" and have the type of tournament they usually have when dealing with los cheekos.  It's a start. 

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rangers-acknowledged-strict-liability-work-18997947

The fact the BBC are even discussing the situation rather than totally and utterly condemning the racist behaviour of thousands says it all. I'll tune in to BBC Manchester later today to see if they've got some folk in to defend and justify the racist tweets Pogba and Rashford have had this week. 

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

That was Derek Ferguson. I may have missed something, but at no point do I recall him saying the fans had to stop because being a bigot is bad. Rather he said they should stop the songs because they are 'offensive these days' and that it was harming the club.

These seem to be the lines Rangers people go for now. It's hard to find anyone in the Rangers support who ever just says "calling someone a ****** b*****d is wrong".

I couldn't believe what I was hearing; the rangers reaction to the uefa sanctions was better than I expected but when you still have folk like Dodds and Ferguson being nothing more than apologists, for the bigots it shows people like that are part of the problem. Nothing will change with attitudes like that. 

15 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/premiership/rangers-to-drop-their-orange-away-strip-1-623615

Hide contents

RANGERS are dropping their controversial orange away strip at the end of the season, but claim the decision has been taken on "commercial rather than political" grounds.

John McLelland, the Ibrox chairman, was forced to defend the kit at the club’s agm last month, when one shareholder suggested the choice of colour was needlessly provocative.

With the issue of sectarianism coming to the fore again in Scottish football, Rangers’ decision to pick orange has come under fresh scrutiny.

A spokesperson for the club said: "The decision to drop the shirt was a commercial decision not based on politics. We change the shirt every season with new designs to try and make it new and fresh."

While the club originally described the kit as "tangerine" when they launched it last April, McLelland admitted at the agm that it was orange. The shirts have been hugely popular with supporters, and hundreds could be seen in the away end at Celtic Park during yesterday’s Old Firm derby.

The decision to change the kit has been welcomed by the anti-sectarian charity Nil By Mouth. A spokesperson said: "This is a step in the right direction. The orange strip has been seen by many as contradictory of the good work done by Rangers against sectarianism."

Donald Gorrie, MSP, also welcomed the decision. "I think it is a very good gesture to drop the shirt," he said. "I think it was a mistake on the part of Rangers to introduce it in the first place - I don’t think they thought through its implications.

"On the fringe of Old Firm supporters, there are people imbued with sectarian prejudices, but I believe both clubs are trying to work with their fans to bring that to an end."

Article is from 2002 and references multiple people, including those involved in the club, acknowledging the sectarian connotations. 

Billy Dodds, who played for Rangers at that time, claims hes never heard of any talk about the tops being anything other than a celebration of the Dutch players...

Hopefully Stewart brings that up next time ol' jug lugs starts defending the indefensible.

A good find.

And there we have it.  Nobody was suggesting the introduction of the strip had anything whatever to do with the Dutch contingent.  Instead, it was seen as controversial and provocative.  Why would the club initially have said the shirt was tangerine if it was meant to be a tribute to the brilliant orange of the Netherlands?  

What's happened here is that two things have been conflated by Billy Dodds and others have run with it.  The claim about a Dutch tribute was attached to how fans dressed at the final with Aberdeen that saw Leighton injured at the start.  It was never attached to the team's away strip as far as I'm aware.  The questions about bringing back Orange kit from fans to people like Charles Green have certainly had nothing to do with Dutchmen, and neither did the colour's recent reintroduction.  Only Billy Dodds and Derek Ferguson seem to think it might.

As has been pointed out the Dutch era wasn't even an especially successful one for Rangers.  They won plenty trophies, but also had to share many with Celtic.  It came after 9 in a row, despite what Ferguson thinks, and was marked largely by European failure.

As I said yesterday, I genuinely believe both are decent blokes and Ferguson deserves credit for his ant-racism work.  He got really quite cross and even aggressive when confronted by Stewart's logic though. I think it was largely a question of intellect that stopped him recognising Stewart's point.  It also illustrates however why this is such a battle. It's not just the Neanderthals that resist.  It's also often those whose hearts are essentially in the right place.

3 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Anyone who thought ‘orange day’ was a genuine celebration of the Dutch needs to just be put down quietly.

Yes, but what then would the appropriate punishment be for those claiming that the modern Orange strip is intended to achieve the same thing?