Sportsound Watch

Certainly the quotes from Souness in today's Scotsman are hilarious.

Basically it has "greatly damaged Scottish football" which has "suffered", and everyone who "rejoiced" took a "short-term attitude, a parochial view".

He then evidences his assertion with a lengthy list of examples... every one of which regards Rangers, Celtic, or English views of Rangers & Celtic.

Absolutely. Some of the best ones in the past are the Dallas shame game, the one where Lennon and McCoist had to be separated, the carnage with Butcher, McAvennie, and Woods and Roberts going in goals. Brilliant.

Did we ever find out what Super Ally said to make Neil go mental that night?

My interest in watching these two play each other always centres around the hope of carnage. Fights, red cards, pitch invasions, managers fighting etc. It usually delivers some sort of point and laugh at them moment, including some or all of the afore mentioned.

But if/when carnage happens, the media blame Scottish football in general, or "society". It's never the fault of those directly involved.

My interest in watching these two play each other always centres around the hope of carnage. Fights, red cards, pitch invasions, managers fighting etc. It usually delivers some sort of point and laugh at them moment, including some or all of the afore mentioned.

It's like watching a grand prix - if there's no crash in the first 30 seconds, you just leave it on in the background.

Certainly the quotes from Souness in today's Scotsman are hilarious.

Basically it has "greatly damaged Scottish football" which has "suffered", and everyone who "rejoiced" took a "short-term attitude, a parochial view".

He then evidences his assertion with a lengthy list of examples... every one of which regards Rangers, Celtic, or English views of Rangers & Celtic.

I've no idea why Souness is even being asked about it, he's likely never even watched a Scottish game, or stepped foot in the country, for over a decade.

I enjoy listening to Souness covering the English games but the comments from both him and Smith were laughable.

I thought it was interesting that both Richard Gordon and Tom English pretty much undercut everything they said when they were discussing the interviews with Gordon pointing out that all the clubs who have won trophies wouldn't agree and English correctly pointing out that it was simply the "Rangers narrative" now. Both sounded utterly weary of the whole thing. Indeed English went on to say that in his opinion the ex-OF players they're wheeling out have absolutely no idea what's going on in Scottish football (again, it's hard to argue with that).

I enjoy listening to Souness covering the English games but the comments from both him and Smith were laughable.

I thought it was interesting that both Richard Gordon and Tom English pretty much undercut everything they said when they were discussing the interviews with Gordon pointing out that all the clubs who have won trophies wouldn't agree and English correctly pointing out that it was simply the "Rangers narrative" now. Both sounded utterly weary of the whole thing. Indeed English went on to say that in his opinion the ex-OF players they're wheeling out have absolutely no idea what's going on in Scottish football (again, it's hard to argue with that).

English is a top guy.

It's a shame none of the journalists interviewing the likes of Souness and Smith this week were brave enough to put those points to them.

It's a shame none of the journalists interviewing the likes of Souness and Smith this week were brave enough to put those points to them.

Said this myself to someone yesterday.

It's probably because they'd get instantly thrown off the gravy train but you wonder why someone didn't - taking Smith as an example - ask him what clubs he thought had been relegated as a result of Rangers not being around. Or ask Souness what kind of ways he thought the game had suffered. Q&As here seem to be very much "tee up a question, hope for a controversial answer" without much to-n-fro.

Said this myself to someone yesterday.

It's probably because they'd get instantly thrown off the gravy train but you wonder why someone didn't - taking Smith as an example - ask him what clubs he thought had been relegated as a result of Rangers not being around. Or ask Souness what kind of ways he thought the game had suffered. Q&As here seem to be very much "tee up a question, hope for a controversial answer" without much to-n-fro.

I think that's pretty much it.

Have these not been a series of Q&As/interviews set up by the sponsors rather than direct interviews? I'd guess that there would have been some sort of direction with a view to soft-soaping the whole thing. I'd imagine that any journo who decided to challenge them would get their baws toed by the sponsors and ultimately their editor for deviating from the apparent party line which seems (somewhat preposterously) to be that the OF is the "biggest game in world football". 

Edited by capt_oats

I'm very pleasantly amazed to read that.

The way that Sky are going on about it, they will have spunked themselves dry by Friday afternoon and the only folk left to interview will be the ballboys and tea ladies.

I fully expect Ian Crocker to be pants-at-ankles, cock in hand and wanking furiously upon kick off time.

"!THIS IS THE ONE THEY HAVE *ALL* BEEN WAITING FOR!"