Sportsound Watch

On 11/11/2017 at 07:01, 1320Lichtie said:

These guys should not get a platform to spout this pish, Sounness etc too, can’t believe people actually wanted them for the managers role. Their contempt for our game is a disgrace.

Their heads are turned to English football now, they’re the equivalent of the wanks that sit in the pub with their EPL tops on watching Gillette Soccer Saturday telling everyone that’s going to a Scottish game that Scottish football is shite.

Arseholes.

Oh f**k man, I have one mate in particular (he's tea-total and doesn't wear a replica top tbf) who spouts this pish all the time. Literally has no idea who plays even for Aberdeen, never mind other Scottish teams, follows Man Utd. Born and bred Aberdonian :(  It. Makes. Me. Mad. 

1 hour ago, fatshaft said:

Oh f**k man, I have one mate in particular (he's tea-total and doesn't wear a replica top tbf) who spouts this pish all the time. Literally has no idea who plays even for Aberdeen, never mind other Scottish teams, follows Man Utd. Born and bred Aberdonian :(  It. Makes. Me. Mad. 

I work with a few guys who live and breathe the EPL, but don't follow any Scottish team.  Any time they try to engage a conversation about an EPL game, I just answer "Sorry, I don't know, I follow a Scottish team remember" which lets me out again.

I definitely think that attitude is becoming more common. Usually at work, people will talk about the Chelsea vs Man U game but won't have any interest in the Scottish game. 'Scottish football is shite mate' seems to be the motto for this generation of football fans. I just struggle to maintain an interest. Every year I start off watching a few EPL games and every year by October I remember how dull I find it and how I really don't care who wins the league, or about any of the hype that surrounds it.

50 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

I work with a few guys who live and breathe the EPL, but don't follow any Scottish team.  Any time they try to engage a conversation about an EPL game, I just answer "Sorry, I don't know, I follow a Scottish team remember" which lets me out again.

Haha, I do that too min! Excellent. 

19 minutes ago, Jmothecat2 said:

I definitely think that attitude is becoming more common. Usually at work, people will talk about the Chelsea vs Man U game but won't have any interest in the Scottish game. 'Scottish football is shite mate' seems to be the motto for this generation of football fans. I just struggle to maintain an interest. Every year I start off watching a few EPL games and every year by October I remember how dull I find it and how I really don't care who wins the league, or about any of the hype that surrounds it.

I'd say since Rangers died it's been much the opposite (in Aberdeen at least). Go back six years and all you'd see kids wearing was guffy replica tops. Now they're easily outnumbered by Dons wear. Don't know if this goes for other parts of the country, but Hearts/hibs seem to be benefiting similarly as far as I can see?

14 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

How often do you hear English football pundits upset that Bournemouth are doing well in the premier league? Or do they talk it up as something to be proud of.

Here? Nah, look at the empty seats.

Youve fallen into the trap!  Who gives a f**k what English pundits say.  English football is NOT the barometer against which we should be measured!

Just now, HAMLISCH said:

Youve fallen into the trap!  Who gives a f**k what English pundits say.  English football is NOT the barometer against which we should be measured!

No I haven't.  I'm not talking about what they think of our game.

I'm saying they are better at talking their own game up and embracing smaller clubs successes, a quality I wish we had up here.

I couldn't care less how Scottish football compares to English football or what they think of us.

The EPL is boring. I used to watch MOTD but now I only bother if there's a shock result like one of the big four/five/six/however many it is now getting skelped by West Brom or someone. The big clubs, their staff and players are all thoroughly despicable and unlikeable cheats.

24 minutes ago, fatshaft said:

I'd say since Rangers died it's been much the opposite (in Aberdeen at least). Go back six years and all you'd see kids wearing was guffy replica tops. Now they're easily outnumbered by Dons wear. Don't know if this goes for other parts of the country, but Hearts/hibs seem to be benefiting similarly as far as I can see?

Chick and Kris would give you an argument there!

I think the opposite.

I think most people can see what you’ve said in your last paragraph there.

Seems to be a common theme on social media, tweets going viral for slagging off how boring and touristy the EPL can be at times. The vast vast majority of the boys at work (big office) love Scottish football. f**k knows why when they all basically follow United or Dundee. [emoji6]

I think people here are starting to appreciate the mentalness and beauty of our game,,* it’s good to see.

* except ****, everything is shite now that they’re utter shite.. [emoji1]

I live in Edinburgh but the day after the Edinburgh Derby at Easter Road nobody here watched the game, and most of them are from the city. I'm not even from here and I watched it. I just found that really odd. Could of course just be where I happen to work and the group I'm currently with mind.

7 hours ago, Jmothecat2 said:

Football has become two different games now with two different audiences.

You have the TV audience/superstar worship/FIFA players and you have the guys that are actually club supporters that go to matches.  Both provide different attractions for different kinds of people but there really isn't a lot connecting those two worlds any more.  The game at the top level and the bottom level used to be basically the same just a bigger version, now it's two different realms.

You have the TV audience/superstar worship/FIFA players and you have the guys that are actually club supporters that go to matches.  Both provide different attractions for different kinds of people but there really isn't a lot connecting those two worlds any more.  The game at the top level and the bottom level used to be basically the same just a bigger version, now it's two different realms.

The problem you have is that commerciality and tv success is based on mass market.

Mass market is achieved by appealing to the lowest common denominator. That's either achieved through elite level football like the CL, where your casual football fans from all over the world take an interest or you have the novelty factor, which would probably include your OF derby interest. Casual punters who can't help but take an interest on a rivalry based on religion, politics and violence without stopping to think about what the reality of that is.

Look at almost all tv programmes that started out niche but became popular. You see from series to series the jokes/storylines get cheaper and shitter. The whole jumping the shark theory.

It's the same in football. The people who love football for it's roots in the community are in the minority, and the morons who only take a passing interest but pay their sky subscription are far and away in the majority.

7 hours ago, kingjoey said:

Chick and Kris would give you an argument there!

I doubt it. They'd spout the usual WATP propaganda lies just to contradict him but they could never build a genuine argument against it.

1 hour ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

1 hour ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

32 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

The problem you have is that commerciality and tv success is based on mass market.

Mass market is achieved by appealing to the lowest common denominator. That's either achieved through elite level football like the CL, where your casual football fans from all over the world take an interest or you have the novelty factor, which would probably include your OF derby interest. Casual punters who can't help but take an interest on a rivalry based on religion, politics and violence without stopping to think about what the reality of that is.

Look at almost all tv programmes that started out niche but became popular. You see from series to series the jokes/storylines get cheaper and shitter. The whole jumping the shark theory.

It's the same in football. The people who love football for it's roots in the community are in the minority, and the morons who only take a passing interest but pay their sky subscription are far and away in the majority.

I love you guys. 

I can just imagine you waking into your local Wetherspoons (where all the football top wearing 'fans' reside, a real pub wouldn't do) and having that discussion. You'd be met with blank stares and another round of "scottish fitba is shite"

I love you guys. 

I can just imagine you waking into your local Wetherspoons (where all the football top wearing 'fans' reside, a real pub wouldn't do) and having that discussion. You'd be met with blank stares and another round of "scottish fitba is shite"

Guinness Book of Records “Most False Stereotypes in Shortest Paragraph “ thread for this pish.

26 minutes ago, jim999 said:

3 minutes in to the programme this evening and the headline story was about O Neil for Scotland and McCall manages to link Mccinnes with Sevco that quickly.

Is there a more suitable time for mentioning Sevco?