Sportsound Watch

7 hours ago, C4mmy31 said:

To all the Boydie haters, he appears to not give a flying f**k, what anyone thinks...... Lol

Kris Boyd appears to have spent months now rubbing people up the wrong way but the funny thing is, more often than not he has been right. First there was Ian Cathro. Then it was Pedro Caixinha. This week it has been his withering comments about Aberdeen’s Graeme Shinnie, whom Boyd had predicted would not get a game against Holland at Pittodrie on Thursday night. People once more scoffed at his blunt, know-all style but, sure as fate, Shinnie was nowhere to be seen in a Scotland shirt against the Dutch.

As a pundit on TV, radio and in his Sun on Sunday column the Kilmarnock striker is taking a haymaker to issues just as he has spent his career putting a size 11 boot through a ball and into opposition nets. For years this brusque Ayrshireman was no-one’s idea of a football pundit in the making but he appears to revel in the role.

“I can be pretty headstrong but I think the guy in the street can relate to me,” says Boyd. “I don’t try to be clever and use big words. I just give my straight, honest opinion, plus, I’m not really swayed by who my friends are.”

This last comment cuts right to the heart of the Boyd approach in his new role as an opinion gunslinger. The 34-year-old is scathing to the point of contempt about some fellow-pundits — and written journalists — who he sees as forever grovelling and soft-soaping to friends they might have within the game.

“I see journalists who have got friends in football, and they stick up for them constantly,” he says. “They gloss over things, in print or on air, depending on who their pals are. I totally disagree with that. Just give an opinion and give it honestly.

“I’ve seen people — paid pundits — who will stick up for the same people, even though they might have failed in job after job. When you put yourself out there, you’ve got to be honest and say what you think. There are pundits who get paid good money, who don’t really say anything. It all depends on who their pals are.”

One other thing notable about Boyd: he has shown a knack for seeing things early and calling it. He was by no means alone in this but, in the cases of Cathro and Caixinha being appointed at Hearts and Rangers, he wasn’t one of those who waited months before proclaiming: “We knew all along that this was a risk.” Instead, he called it there and then, and correctly.

“If you are a pundit, don’t wait for something to happen — give your opinion there and then as you see it,” he says. “I’ve been in the game for years and I’ve finished every single coaching badge that is going: my B licence, my A licence and my Pro licence. So I think I know about football. I feel qualified.

“I know exactly what makes football clubs and football players tick. Plus, I speak to people and I listen. I never put myself in a position where I say something, without first having carefully thought about it.

“In the case of Ian Cathro, people thought I was just attacking a young manager. But I had been on coaching courses, I had spoken to people, and I had seen how Cathro worked. I knew exactly what I was talking about.

“Predictably, the people who stuck up for Cathro were those who were either close to him, or close to people around him, or tight with Craig Levein.

“After I criticised the Cathro appointment, and got flak for it, not one person inside the football world criticised what I had said. They knew that I knew what I was talking about.”

This week Boyd caused another fuss with his comments last Monday about Shinnie. Brazenly, he announced on BBC Scotland’s Sportsound that Shinnie wouldn’t see any action against Holland on Thursday night, provoking some to take him to task. Not for the first time he was proved correct. Shinnie didn’t feature against the Dutch.

“The thing was, I was making the point in the context of Scotland players. But the job guys like Graeme Shinnie have done for Aberdeen has been fantastic. There is no getting away from that: a series of second-place finishes in the league and cup finals and the rest of it. In terms of their club, it’s not an issue, Shinnie has been fantastic, there has hardly been anyone better. All I was saying was he wasn’t — and isn’t — good enough for Scotland.”

If Boyd does ever ventures into management, he says his past experiences and current media work have taught him to be “calculating”. Managers and coaches have always had friendships with reporters but, says Boyd, there are pitfalls to be avoided and better roads to be taken.

“Good managers can be close to journalists, but they know how to use the media,” he says. “If you take Walter Smith as an example. Walter had a lot of friends in the media. He had the press eating out of the palm of his hand. He knew when it was time to get onside with them, and when it was time to cut his ties with them.

“He used the media to his advantage. He was clever about it. He knew exactly when to take the flak and when not to fight back. A lot of managers choose to fight back, but it is very obvious when a manager is not getting it right, when something is going wrong. Don’t fight fire with fire. The best managers, like Walter, take themselves out of that. There is a clever way to do it. But you need to understand football. You need to understand how it works. And Walter had that.

“Managing the media is a key thing for a football manager today. It is almost as hard and important to manage that as it is to manage your players. Social media has obviously changed everything. It has given idiots, basically, a platform on which to abuse people.

“People are chained to their screens who don’t really have any other life. For everything good that social media has offered the world, it has also thrown up many negatives.

“That has made it even more difficult to be a manager. Comments and criticisms are everywhere. That is why I think a manager has to be more calculated in what he says, otherwise he is made to look a fool.”

Amid all this the Boyd goals keep coming. Now 17 seasons at it, he rammed home another one against Hearts last week, and then goaded the Gorgie faithful who had been suggesting he was “a fat b*****d”. He says he is revived, as is Kilmarnock FC, by the arrival of Steve Clarke.

“The impact he’s had on Kilmarnock has been clear to see,” Boyd says of Clarke. “He has made everything gel. There is a purpose in everything he does.

“Look at Stevie’s cv. He has automatically gained the players’ respect. He is crystal clear in what he wants. A lot of coaches put on sessions with no clear purpose and you wonder, ‘What is he talking about?’ With Stevie Clarke there is none of that. You know exactly what he wants. I think this could be a real turning point for Kilmarnock FC.”

And what about Boyd himself … when will he retire? “I’ll never retire,” he says with a smile. “If I’m not on the pitch, I’ll either be in a dugout or a studio. I love football.”

(Graham Spiers, The Times)

Aye ok Kris.

Kris, just in case you or a family member are reading this, you're a c**t. A fat c**t. Whatever they're paying you, it's too much. Shouting over people is not good radio.

To redeem yourself you'll need to throttle Chick Young live on air, whilst screaming "c**t!" over and over until he passes out. Try not to kill him, just give him a bit of a fright.

34 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Kris, just in case you or a family member are reading this, you're a c**t. A fat c**t. Whatever they're paying you, it's too much. Shouting over people is not good radio.

To redeem yourself you'll need to throttle Chick Young live on air, whilst screaming "c**t!" over and over until he passes out. Try not to kill him, just give him a bit of a fright.

Would shouting at him not give Chick a big enough fright?

Speirs taking a long run up at the Succulent Lamb award 2017 there, wonderful *** brown nosing from the lad.

Yesterday was a farce, even by Sportsound’s recent standards. 

They were laughing and joking about finding something to fill the three hours. Why not commentary from at least two of the Challenge Cup games? They had reporters there anyway; why not send a summariser along as well? That’s the only extra expense.  There will have already been a producer, and ISDN lines will have been paid-for for the duration of each game.

But no, let’s laugh about having nothing to talk about, then default to Celtic and Sevco with a bit of non-Scottish stuff thrown in. 

I couldn't tell you the last time I listened to Sportsound, but, having read through this, I 'm glad that I don't

I quite often catch BBC Radio Ulster Sportsound on a Saturday afternoon, and find it rather good - there's a featured game - usually involving the league leaders but not always - and regular updates from the other Premiership games, also the Championship gets a mention, and whatever other big sporting event is on.

They have an annoying habit of only updating the Rangers and Celtic scores, and, of course, EPL scores and comments.

Michael McNamee has AN annoying HABIT of emphasisng WORDS when not needed, but other than that I can't complain about the content too much.

Edited by Jacksgranda

It's just basic stuff really. Celtic and Rangers fans would be less likely to listen since they don't have a game on while fans of clubs involved in the Challenge Cup and Leagues One and Two will have been heading to their games listening in the car - how hard would it have been to devote a bit of time to those teams for a change? If you're going to talk about Dundee Utd's new manager, how hard is it to find someone who knows him or has played under him or who can do a 30 second Wikipedia/Google/UEFA.com search to find out what he's been up to since leaving Hearts? Tam McManus has played at those levels and was on Off the Ball, surely he'd have been a better guest when those games were on than someone like Willie Miller? Chick Young seems to spend more time on the air now he's "retired" than he did before. Like I said previously, it's not that hard to make Sportsound a really good show, but they are just going through the motions and trying to appeal to the lowest common denominator like a commercial station rather than doing something in the public interest as a public broadcaster.

2 hours ago, Darren said:

Are they broadcasting from 1999?

1690 most of the time.

Boyd was rightly criticised for his slagging of Cathro as it was a personal attack that made him sound like a p***k and a dinosaur. Everyone said he could be right about Cathro not succeeding, but he went way over the top and was trying to ridicule the guy and his methods. It was a case of one of the 'old guard' have a shit fit because someone new dared to try and break in.

He's a dribbling bag of douche and should not be given a platform to slaver his thick cliches and Sevco love.

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 01:40, C4mmy31 said:

To all the Boydie haters, he appears to not give a flying f**k, what anyone thinks...... Lol

Kris Boyd appears to have spent months now rubbing people up the wrong way but the funny thing is, more often than not he has been right. First there was Ian Cathro. Then it was Pedro Caixinha. This week it has been his withering comments about Aberdeen’s Graeme Shinnie, whom Boyd had predicted would not get a game against Holland at Pittodrie on Thursday night. People once more scoffed at his blunt, know-all style but, sure as fate, Shinnie was nowhere to be seen in a Scotland shirt against the Dutch.

As a pundit on TV, radio and in his Sun on Sunday column the Kilmarnock striker is taking a haymaker to issues just as he has spent his career putting a size 11 boot through a ball and into opposition nets. For years this brusque Ayrshireman was no-one’s idea of a football pundit in the making but he appears to revel in the role.

“I can be pretty headstrong but I think the guy in the street can relate to me,” says Boyd. “I don’t try to be clever and use big words. I just give my straight, honest opinion, plus, I’m not really swayed by who my friends are.”

This last comment cuts right to the heart of the Boyd approach in his new role as an opinion gunslinger. The 34-year-old is scathing to the point of contempt about some fellow-pundits — and written journalists — who he sees as forever grovelling and soft-soaping to friends they might have within the game.

“I see journalists who have got friends in football, and they stick up for them constantly,” he says. “They gloss over things, in print or on air, depending on who their pals are. I totally disagree with that. Just give an opinion and give it honestly.

“I’ve seen people — paid pundits — who will stick up for the same people, even though they might have failed in job after job. When you put yourself out there, you’ve got to be honest and say what you think. There are pundits who get paid good money, who don’t really say anything. It all depends on who their pals are.”

One other thing notable about Boyd: he has shown a knack for seeing things early and calling it. He was by no means alone in this but, in the cases of Cathro and Caixinha being appointed at Hearts and Rangers, he wasn’t one of those who waited months before proclaiming: “We knew all along that this was a risk.” Instead, he called it there and then, and correctly.

“If you are a pundit, don’t wait for something to happen — give your opinion there and then as you see it,” he says. “I’ve been in the game for years and I’ve finished every single coaching badge that is going: my B licence, my A licence and my Pro licence. So I think I know about football. I feel qualified.

“I know exactly what makes football clubs and football players tick. Plus, I speak to people and I listen. I never put myself in a position where I say something, without first having carefully thought about it.

“In the case of Ian Cathro, people thought I was just attacking a young manager. But I had been on coaching courses, I had spoken to people, and I had seen how Cathro worked. I knew exactly what I was talking about.

“Predictably, the people who stuck up for Cathro were those who were either close to him, or close to people around him, or tight with Craig Levein.

“After I criticised the Cathro appointment, and got flak for it, not one person inside the football world criticised what I had said. They knew that I knew what I was talking about.”

This week Boyd caused another fuss with his comments last Monday about Shinnie. Brazenly, he announced on BBC Scotland’s Sportsound that Shinnie wouldn’t see any action against Holland on Thursday night, provoking some to take him to task. Not for the first time he was proved correct. Shinnie didn’t feature against the Dutch.

“The thing was, I was making the point in the context of Scotland players. But the job guys like Graeme Shinnie have done for Aberdeen has been fantastic. There is no getting away from that: a series of second-place finishes in the league and cup finals and the rest of it. In terms of their club, it’s not an issue, Shinnie has been fantastic, there has hardly been anyone better. All I was saying was he wasn’t — and isn’t — good enough for Scotland.”

If Boyd does ever ventures into management, he says his past experiences and current media work have taught him to be “calculating”. Managers and coaches have always had friendships with reporters but, says Boyd, there are pitfalls to be avoided and better roads to be taken.

“Good managers can be close to journalists, but they know how to use the media,” he says. “If you take Walter Smith as an example. Walter had a lot of friends in the media. He had the press eating out of the palm of his hand. He knew when it was time to get onside with them, and when it was time to cut his ties with them.

“He used the media to his advantage. He was clever about it. He knew exactly when to take the flak and when not to fight back. A lot of managers choose to fight back, but it is very obvious when a manager is not getting it right, when something is going wrong. Don’t fight fire with fire. The best managers, like Walter, take themselves out of that. There is a clever way to do it. But you need to understand football. You need to understand how it works. And Walter had that.

“Managing the media is a key thing for a football manager today. It is almost as hard and important to manage that as it is to manage your players. Social media has obviously changed everything. It has given idiots, basically, a platform on which to abuse people.

“People are chained to their screens who don’t really have any other life. For everything good that social media has offered the world, it has also thrown up many negatives.

“That has made it even more difficult to be a manager. Comments and criticisms are everywhere. That is why I think a manager has to be more calculated in what he says, otherwise he is made to look a fool.”

Amid all this the Boyd goals keep coming. Now 17 seasons at it, he rammed home another one against Hearts last week, and then goaded the Gorgie faithful who had been suggesting he was “a fat b*****d”. He says he is revived, as is Kilmarnock FC, by the arrival of Steve Clarke.

“The impact he’s had on Kilmarnock has been clear to see,” Boyd says of Clarke. “He has made everything gel. There is a purpose in everything he does.

“Look at Stevie’s cv. He has automatically gained the players’ respect. He is crystal clear in what he wants. A lot of coaches put on sessions with no clear purpose and you wonder, ‘What is he talking about?’ With Stevie Clarke there is none of that. You know exactly what he wants. I think this could be a real turning point for Kilmarnock FC.”

And what about Boyd himself … when will he retire? “I’ll never retire,” he says with a smile. “If I’m not on the pitch, I’ll either be in a dugout or a studio. I love football.”

(Graham Spiers, The Times)

I dont usually mind Speirs but lets summarise the points he said Boyd called right:

Cathro - fair enough, he was right but the laptop pish showed him up for the mouthbreathing simpleton *** that he is.

Caxinha - Yeah nobody would have predicted a man with little success in obscure leagues  would fail at a basket case club like Sevco.

Shinnie - Again shocked that a player called up to the squad for the first time didnt play.

By all means Kris keep shooting from the hip, no doubt you will soon shoot yourself in the foot again.

Edited by gannonball

FFS

Roll up for the Kris Boyd / Aberdeen FC show again tonight on Sportsound

Give it a fckn rest guys. It's boring now.

I get this ^^^. Scotland game is over, Boyd made his point last week albeit hysterically.
BUT, Boyd and Chic Young are borderline imbeciles. It's worse tonight.
Stewart sounds like he's exasperated that that two thick twats don't listen or can't comprehend what he is saying.