Sportsound Watch

We get called St Johnson by loads of idiots in the media

It's unbelievable the number of folk in the media who mispronounce our name. I mean, what kind of self respecting Paisley side would be called "Saint Mirren"? That's three syllables. It's clearly pronounced Saint Murn. We're shiftless b*****ds to a man. That extra syllable is extra work.

I still recall the funniest two moment's on sportsound and unfortunately it was before listen again. So we can't enjoy them again.

1- whilst reporting on a game Rhona McLeod( or Randy housewife as I call her) was giving team news. This was on the late 90s, when in attempting to say paddy flannery, she pronounced his name fanny paddery,

2- one of the reporters mispronounced Eddie Cunnington, and you can imaging what he said.

It can be guilty of old pals stuff where ex players simply can't bring themselves to say what needs to be said as the player in question is an ex team mate maybe even a personal friend. Too much honest player, he's no that kind of player crap when he clearly is!

Richard odious?! Really? You kept that word for him? Wow

Spence and his constant OF-trolling is like that guy at school who likes to get wide to the teachers. It's funny at first but then he keeps doing the same thing and you realise he's just an immature tryhard crying out for attention.

It's fairly common knowledge that John Roberston absolutely detests Ross County. Listening to his match report after they've lost is quite something.

Spence and his constant OF-trolling is like that guy at school who likes to get wide to the teachers. It's funny at first but then he keeps doing the same thing and you realise he's just an immature tryhard crying out for attention.

I can't believe you ventured as far east as Edinburgh to go to Uni.

Sportsound is ok, I suppose

Chick Young, Murder McLeod, Billy Dodds and Willie Miller annoy me

Spence, Robertson and English are all very good.

Richard Gordon make sure it does not become a shouting match on OAM and doesn't seem too bias towards Aberdeen.

Personally, considering that every English County has its on BBC Radio Station, I think we should have two shows on weekdays, one for the East Coast and one for the west.

To be fair to wee Chic, he isn't a pundit or a broadcaster, he's a journalist and if you are a journalist covering Scottish football the way to get ahead is to sook up to the OF. That's what he's done but it's the nature of the beast. It's not Chic's fault there are hundreds of thousands of Cro-Magnon men sitting about in Rangers and Celtic strips from Irvine to Oban. Two thirds of the football media audience are Old Firm supporters and that's just the way it is in the commercial media, and that's what Chic's background is. The BBC is slightly different in that it has a public service remit and can spread it's focus a bit wider but in terms of print, rags like the Evening Times or Daily Record would literally go down the toilet if they didn't cover the OF overwhelmingly. So if Chic sometimes strays that way it's only the habit of a lifetime. By the way, Chic's recent Scotland Managers series was bloody excellent.

Overall, I think Sportsound is pretty good. Tom English is excellent, as is Jim Spence and Richard Gordon is a very good anchor. The commentary has good downhill since the likes of David Begg retired but I like the open all mics format and that's usually what I listen to, Admittedly some of the pundits and match reporters are not to everyone's taste, Billy Dodds is probably the worst of them, he's a sort of clockwork footballing cliche generator, but most of them, even if I don't actually like them much I can bare. The best one is Derek Ferguson. He's a bit like a dog. Dopey as f**k but his enthusiasm is life affirming. That's what I want to hear on the radio. A love for the game and Ferguson has it in spades.

Was amusing last year when Stewart Milne had his almost literal year stained meltdown on the steps of Hampden about Stewart Gilmour and Roy McGregor throwing out that 8-8-8 shite.

Suffice to say Richard Gordon, Willie Miller and 'Spencey' couldn't wait to jump on his back and condemn St Mirren and Ross County for killing Scottish Football.

Hindsight is indeed, a wonderful thing.

Since then I've noticed Gordon in particular has had a bee in his bonnet about St Mirren. One notable example of this was his accusing Jason Naismith of diving last season, something he did later apologise for.

Allan Preston is the only other one I think is clueless.

The others are largely ok. Chick gets a lot of stick but he is a decent enough guy. He certainly does have a 'big team', but then again, so do plenty of people who go watch the countries smaller clubs.

I think Craig Paterson is pretty under rated as a pundit. Seems to really know the game and always comes across as pretty impartial.

I go to uni in Glasgow, but thanks for taking an interest.

No probs. It's easy when folk talk about themselves. If you actually live behind enemy lines it's even worse than I thought though.

Having conversed with Richard Gordon on the old Twitter I'd say the guy is a bit of an arse he a competent presenter though an arse all the same.

I listened to this for the first time in a while on Saturday and I was a pissed off to hear Willie Miller doing the Saints game, what's that all about? the guy is just a cheer leader is it too much to ask for someone impartial?

I was genuinely surprised that Chick Young still gets a gig, he really is awful at it. At one point he lost the heed and start shouting someone over a tongue in cheek comment, it was bizarre tbh. If the BBC were interested in giving you the best possible product he would have been binned. But they are not, clearly. It's like they are just punting it out because they always have. Until somebody at the top gives a f**k it will continue to be shit.

Oh and is Derek Ferguson retarded? the boy can barely string a sentence together he is the perfect example of the BBC's attitude, it's all about jobs for the boys rather the product.

Edited by Waldo Ponce