Sportsound Watch

Derek Ferguson is awful when they use him as a reporter at matches. He sound like he has written each word of his notes on different bits of paper and is struggling to put them in order. I don't mind him when he's in discussions though - he often seems insightful and knowledgeable. I've also seen him at a couple of "Show Racism the Red Card " things, and he struggles in the presentation, but is far more natural in the q&a and more informal environments.

Willie Miller hasn't stopped moaning since his first game for Aberdeen, although now he seems to moan about everything rather than specifics.

Chick Young is to journalism as a dog is to playing the trombone.

Murdo MacLeod makes Willie Miller seem positive.

Billy Dodds is a p***k, and thick as mince.

Most of the rest are ok.

Jim Spence's hatred for west coast teams irritates the f**k out of me.

I've always believed his hatred is for the West Coast media and the OF, in the main. I'm sure any apparent disdain for other West Coast teams isn't deliberate.

At least Sandra Brown isn't on any more as her voice could cause aneurysms.

I don't think Derek Ferguson can actually read and Willie Miller is only enjoyable after an Aberdeen defeat other than that he's poor as is Murdo McLeod. Surprised Chick Young still gets paid as he is the last key member of the bad old days of Trainor where you could get away with not trying as long as you sucked up to Rangers.

Jim Spence and Richard Gordon are the good guys on that.

How hard is it to hire someone who isn't a moron, doesn't hold personal grudges and actually understands football.

Edited by Sloop John B

I've always believed his hatred is for the West Coast media and the OF, in the main. I'm sure any apparent disdain for other West Coast teams isn't deliberate.

He seems to believe whatever pish he is fed from the East Coast teams without challenging it. Barely a week goes by without some piece involving the Dundee United chairman or manager about how bloody wonderful they are - and he was responsible for the nonsense a few years ago when Dundee claimed they were trying to sign Scott Robertson back from United even though they were in the first division. Weeks later they were screwed.

I think open all mics works pretty well. These guys are not really offering their opinion too much on this and just report from the games. Richard Gordon is excellent and holds it together well.

However I cant listen to Dodds, Chic Young, Miller et all on the weekdays shows when they are asked their opinion on the daily news stories. The amount of nonsense and pro old firm pish spouted is frightening.

Also a few a bit harsh on Spence. Certainly dont think he is anti the likes of Partick/Motherwell. Just think he doesnt pander to the likes of Dodds and Young when it comes to the OF love fest.

Also Robertson always seemed to get the ICT / RC home games and again I thought he always sounded very positive about both teams and certainly not against Ross County.

I can understand and respect that, but he only seems to care about Dundee Utd, Dundee and St Johnstone. He hardly ever talks about Thistle, St Mirren, Killie, Motherwell etc.

Whether he has a say in it I don't know, but he only seems to report from games involving the Tayside teams, with the occasional foray into Fife or up to Aberdeen. Other than that, he's a good guy.

Sport sound is good.

Richard Gordon is a good egg. As is Tom English.

Michael Stewart and Jim Spence are top guys, don't understand how anyone could dislike them.

Pretty much this.

I quite like the programmes. I listen to most of them as podcasts, so perhaps the editing helps.

The above guys are really quite good and I also like Spiers.

Even most of the ex-pros are a bit less thick than a lot you see or read elsewhere. Murdo MacLeod and Pat Bonnar are idiots though.

Whos the bloke that always done Dundee games, Decent patter and everyrhin was Dreach.. Dick something or Something Donnelly ??

Dick Donnelly.

He got mentioned last week on here by someone in connection with that new Radio deal involving radio Clyde, Tay etc and the SPFL.

I remember the send up of him on the original 'Only an Excuse'. He was getting asked for his forecast for the game he was covering and his answer was all about squally showers and a freshening breeze.

Billy Dodds is exceptionally thick and his ideas on how football should be played are terrifyingly archaic. He just splutters cliches when commentating. He has no original thoughts on things. You could replace him with a recording of his views and you'd struggle to tell the difference most weeks.

I used to like Richard Gordon but he outed himself as yet another cowardly sycophant a few years back. It was in January and he said there was a story brewing that would be the biggest story all year and would not be eclipsed as such, despite it being January. The story? Barry Ferguson has been dropped as Rangers captain. Worse was when a stream of texts and emails came in to complain about this. He took a massive strop and said people should listen to something else. Since then hid mask has slipped quite regularly.

I don't mind Chic Young that much these days. He's massively calmed down on his Rangers love the past few years and seems to have genuine enthusiasm for Scottish football.

Murdo McLeod is a vile cretin who's massive bias that he doesn't even try to hide should have seen him fired years ago. Frankly he should never have been hired as his knowledge starts and stops with Celtic.

Alan Preston is thick.

Jim Spence is alright, as is that Rovers fan.

Billy Dodds is exceptionally thick and his ideas on how football should be played are terrifyingly archaic. He just splutters cliches when commentating. He has no original thoughts on things. You could replace him with a recording of his views and you'd struggle to tell the difference most weeks.

I used to like Richard Gordon but he outed himself as yet another cowardly sycophant a few years back. It was in January and he said there was a story brewing that would be the biggest story all year and would not be eclipsed as such, despite it being January. The story? Barry Ferguson has been dropped as Rangers captain. Worse was when a stream of texts and emails came in to complain about this. He took a massive strop and said people should listen to something else. Since then hid mask has slipped quite regularly.

I don't mind Chic Young that much these days. He's massively calmed down on his Rangers love the past few years and seems to have genuine enthusiasm for Scottish football.

Murdo McLeod is a vile cretin who's massive bias that he doesn't even try to hide should have seen him fired years ago. Frankly he should never have been hired as his knowledge starts and stops with Celtic.

Alan Preston is thick.

Jim Spence is alright, as is that Rovers fan.

The Barry Ferguson dropped and transfer listed story/day I do remember that. Certainly wouldnt put that down as RG cozying up to the OF love in - probably ecstatic that the hans were mid table, falling apart and just binned one of the best Scottish players of generation. Thinking back that was a huge moment for the history that ended dead club. Thats cheered me right up Edited by d31

I think Ferguson is actually ok, never used to like him but he's actually pretty impartial. Chick is a twat as everyone knows, Spencey, Gordon and English are really good. Turdo is hideously bad and only cares about one team and is so unbelievable upfront about it.