Sportsound Watch

Last Saturday was one of the few times recently when both OF teams were playing at 3pm. before I switched on to Sportsound I had already worked out that most of the 2-3pm hour would be spent talking about them, but even I was flabbergasted by just how much time they gave to it.

Maybe I'm just imagining it, but it seems to me that this focus on the OF has got even worse since Richard Gordon left. Having Richard on the Sunday and midweek shows is cruel and unusual punishment - just reminding us of what we are missing on a Saturday. When he left, I begged and begged the BBC to find someone - anyone- else other than Kenny Macintyre, but his appointment was so predictable. He doesn't control the pundits, so discussion on Open All Mics descends into a stramash, with each of them desperate to get their oar in on any given topic. Macintyre is also very keen to create controversy by asking questions of guests in a very combative way. RG often got as much - or more - information from guests by treating them with respect and eliciting answers in a gentle way.

We're all aware of which team each pundit supports, but that doesn't excuse laziness, such as not knowing the names of the players in the visiting team (e.g. Pat Bonner). I don't mind them having a bit of banter with each other (Miller and Preston), but Michael Stewart needs to get over himself and realise that his opinion on the topic under discussion is just that - an opinion - and not a fact that needs to be hammered into the skulls of the others.

I don't think I need to conclude by saying that the programme has gone downhill since an extremely able and genial presenter was replaced by someone much less able who seems to think that combativeness and controversy makes for good radio.

I try not to listen any more as it's gone from pretty shite to something much, much worse than that. One thing I have noticed though is that Rory Loy has become much more shouty and aggressive than when he first started. Might be that working with MacIntyre is too much for him, or that he's in a permanent state of rage about VAR like the rest of them seem to be.

23 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

It's colonial radio. It's meant to be dull, negative and at all costs avoid informing or inspiring the population, dear me no.

This. Exactly this...utter fucking shortbread tin.

I travel quite a distance to and from games, and most of my mates live in Scotland so I travel to meet them before games.

Sometimes I go on the train with a mate or two, sometimes I get the train alone, sometimes me and two of my mates go together in a car. Sportsound has been a constant, whether on the way there and/or back. The only situation in which I wouldn't listen to it at some point would be the 'train with company' option, as obviously that would have been a bit weird.

Switched to podcasts now.

Edited by VincentGuerin

5 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

I travel quite a distance to and from games, and most of my mates live in Scotland so I travel to meet them before games.

Sometimes I go on the train with a mate or two, sometimes I get the train alone, sometimes me and two of my mates go together in a car. Sportsound has been a constant, whether on the way there and/or back. The only situation in which I wouldn't listen to it at some point would be the 'train with company' option, as obviously that would have been a bit weird.

Switched to podcasts now.

Are your mates a combination of Hearts, Aberdeen and Rangers fans?

17 minutes ago, StellarHibee said:

Are your mates a combination of Hearts, Aberdeen and Rangers fans?

Two other Hearts lads who live in my town (the three of us go pretty much every week in whatever combination) and two others who live nearby and join us occasionally.

There are a few lads we see on the train quite often. One lad who goes to see Aberdeen away games (it's a bit far to go to the home ones) and a couple of sticky buns. We're all on nodding terms and occasionally a can and a chat.

There's often the odd soul travelling to see a different team who'll stop for a chat. To be honest, my favorites are the English non-league fans. Proper trainspotting types, but great to talk to about the fitba.

Edited by VincentGuerin

5 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Two other Hearts lads who live in my town (the three of us go pretty much every week in whatever combination) and two others who live nearby and join us occasionally.

There are a few lads we see on the train quite often. One lad who goes to see Aberdeen away games (it's a bit far to go to the home ones) and a couple of sticky buns. We're all on nodding terms and occasionally a can and a chat.

6179d787-160a-4f9b-8409-fc79106a7b9b_tex

Just now, VictorOnopko said:

Absolute chaos on this programme again today.  Does no one in a senior position at the BBC listen to it? About 5 pundits simultaneously talking over the hapless presenter at times.  Get a grip Kenny!

Most of the last ten minutes has been McIntyre having a stiffy over the "awkward" press conference for the cup final. Seems far happier talking about that than any of the games.

Spent the way down today listening to 5 live. Night and day, not just about budgets either. A level of professionalism that arseholes like "Kenny Mac", "Biscuits" and "Packie" could only dream of

1 hour ago, VictorOnopko said:

Absolute chaos on this programme again today.  Does no one in a senior position at the BBC listen to it? About 5 pundits simultaneously talking over the hapless presenter at times.  Get a grip Kenny!

They need a producer like Artie. RIP Rip.