Sportsound Watch

Glad to hear it’s not just me that thought it was disrespectful. I’d imagine most fans would love a day out to a Semi-final at Hampden with a chance to get to a final. Not surprised the mainstream media sees the best thing for us “diddies” to aim for is playing the Old Firm. 

Just wait till you DO draw the Old Firm and the “journalists” are all sniffing around looking for an interview with the guy who’s “Rangers/Celtic daft”:

”It’s the biggest game of my life”,

”I can’t wait to run out at Parkhead / Ibrox” (cause they will be drawn at home)

“all my friends & family have been on the phone for tickets”

“I’ve been told if we do win then I’ll not be welcome at Mum & Dads for a while!” 

Despite being paid a full time wage by another fucking team. 

On 11/02/2023 at 18:09, Central Belt Caley said:

Whoever was at Raith Rovers Motherwell said Raith should be hoping for Rangers/Celtic in the next round as “lets face it Raith aren’t winning the Scottish Cup and at this level it’s about getting as much money as you can”.
Found it a tad disrespectful to lower league clubs but might just be me getting my knickers in a twist 

It was Preston of course. No surprise he would come out with utter pish like that.

ETA: This was the first time I had listened in months and it wasn't as bad as last time but the quality of the "pundits" had me cursing their every word.

Edited by RiG

Whoever was at Raith Rovers Motherwell said Raith should be hoping for Rangers/Celtic in the next round as “lets face it Raith aren’t winning the Scottish Cup and at this level it’s about getting as much money as you can”.
Found it a tad disrespectful to lower league clubs but might just be me getting my knickers in a twist 

Even from a recent history standpoint, it's ridiculous. A lower league team won it in 2016, while there'd been quite a few sides from outside the top flight in the final in the decade previously.

This absolutely enrages me.

They really do think clubs like Raith genuinely exist to make up the numbers, before scurrying off grateful for any crumbs carelessly dropped by the OF.  They've no idea that such clubs have their own ambitions, stories and histories.

God I hate our game, its structure and its portrayal sometimes.

3 hours ago, Darren said:

Even from a recent history standpoint, it's ridiculous. A lower league team won it in 2016, while there'd been quite a few sides from outside the top flight in the final in the decade previously.

Another nugget from 2016 - although Sevco had won the division, both teams were 2nd tier in the final that year - which is (I think?) the only time that has ever happened in SC history.

Although the odds are against it, this season must be the best chance since 2016 of another "all lower league" final.

So, yes I agree that comment was utterly ridic.

I could understand that for, say, Darvel and Elgin, who are part time and genuinely have next to no chance of winning the cup. But Raith are full-time and with a kind draw could have made it to the final without even having to play another Premiership club.

3 hours ago, Darren said:

Aye this was what I took issue with, Falkirk pushed all the way back in 2015 and were probably about the same level as Raith are just now. 

Doesn’t help when most of the “pundits” have a significant bias to either side of the cheeks 

1 hour ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Aye this was what I took issue with, Falkirk pushed all the way back in 2015 and were probably about the same level as Raith are just now. 

Doesn’t help when most of the “pundits” have a significant bias to either side of the cheeks 

It took Hearts - who'd just finished second in the top flight - penalties to beat third-tier Gretna.

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

It's the idea that only the money can matter to clubs outside the top flight that's so bloody insulting.

What does the gormless cretin think money might be useful for?  This idea that it's some sort of end in itself is so mindlessly idiotic.

In the rare defence of Preston, Ian McCall was just yesterday stating that Partick's board members were celebrating a Rangers equaliser against them, so that they could land a lucrative replay. 

There's of course a non-zero chance that McCall is being a gobshite, but Loving Cup levels of craven deference exist far too broadly across Scottish football for that view to be seriously insulting. 

4 minutes ago, virginton said:

In the rare defence of Preston, Ian McCall was just yesterday stating that Partick's board members were celebrating a Rangers equaliser against them, so that they could land a lucrative replay. 

There's of course a non-zero chance that McCall is being a gobshite, but Loving Cup levels of craven deference exist far too broadly across Scottish football for that view to be seriously insulting. 

It's the breadth of the view that makes it so insulting.

16 minutes ago, Darren said:

It took Hearts - who'd just finished second in the top flight - penalties to beat third-tier Gretna.

Gretna we’re obviously a bit of an anomaly given the money being fired about, but even around then lower league sides making it through deep into the competition wasn’t unusual at all.

In 2008 we were a penalty shoot out away from a St Johnstone v Queen of the South final, and that was with Aberdeen losing to Queens (4th in the league) in the semi and Saints (3rd) going out after penalties to (Old, still financially doping) Rangers, who only missed out on the league title on the last day of the season. Saints actually led that semi in extra time.

Then in 2015 you had a fairly pish Falkirk team in the final as well.

No reason at all to think - and especially given how the draw is - that a lower league team won’t be in this year’s final.

3 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

It's the breadth of the view that makes it so insulting.

When the view is being held broadly across the boardrooms of the clubs in question, then a pundit making the same statement is really not an insult. 

1 minute ago, virginton said:

When the view is being held broadly across the boardrooms of the clubs in question, then a pundit making the same statement is really not an insult. 

I fail to see how the all pervasive nature of something makes individual instances of it more  acceptable.

Substitute something else distasteful into this space and you'll see that such an outlook quickly breaks down.

1 minute ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I fail to see how the all pervasive nature of something makes individual instances of it more  acceptable.

Substitute something else distasteful into this space and you'll see that such an outlook quickly breaks down.

Can you give an example of something distasteful, that won't render your tantrum entirely disproportionate and ludicrous?