Sportsound Watch

19 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

It’s no surprise anymore. Imagine someone like Shearer, Souness or Neville saying something like that, for all their faults you can’t say the main English pundits don’t prepare for their punditry or commentary roles. Even when discussing individual teams, you would never hear one of them saying ‘I’ve not seen much of Fulham this year to be honest’. In Scotland it’s worn like a badge of honour to show ignorance towards our game, at the same time as taking a wage to literally talk about our game. I know I will sound like a broken record because I’ve mentioned it a hundred times, but a taxpayer funded organisation should not feel the need to employ someone like Bonner, who makes absolutely no attempt to hide the fact he hasn’t done a single bit of research in to any team out with the OF. It genuinely angers me that he is still in that job.

These guys will also have researchers preparing material for them ensuring the crap they come out with is at least knowledgeable crap.

I've never understood why BBC Scotland don't have freebee interns setting stuff up for the games their pundits are to cover. I'm sure there would be no shortage of folk desperate for a opening in the industry that could easily produce excellent material that just needed plonked down in front of Miller, Bonner etc. to spend a few minutes looking over before the game and use during the match. It could even be printed out in a very big font for most of them. I suppose for them to do that would mean they'd need to give a damn about the quality of their output though which obviously they don't. 

20 hours ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

I wonder why those paragons of radio fandom, Messrs. Cosgrove & Cowan never, ever allude to the mediocrity of punditry on Sportsound ?

Because of their claim to be the most petty and ill-informed football show would be brought in to question.

49 minutes ago, Charles Stiles said:

These guys will also have researchers preparing material for them ensuring the crap they come out with is at least knowledgeable crap.

I've never understood why BBC Scotland don't have freebee interns setting stuff up for the games their pundits are to cover. I'm sure there would be no shortage of folk desperate for a opening in the industry that could easily produce excellent material that just needed plonked down in front of Miller, Bonner etc. to spend a few minutes looking over before the game and use during the match. It could even be printed out in a very big font for most of them. I suppose for them to do that would mean they'd need to give a damn about the quality of their output though which obviously they don't. 

That's an issue...

WM/PB

"Did you see whit that wee lassie wanted me to say...cannae mind her playin' for emdy"!

8 hours ago, Charles Stiles said:

I've never understood why BBC Scotland don't have freebee interns setting stuff up for the games their pundits are to cover. I'm sure there would be no shortage of folk desperate for a opening in the industry that could easily produce excellent material that just needed plonked down in front of Miller, Bonner etc. to spend a few minutes looking over before the game and use during the match. It could even be printed out in a very big font for most of them. I suppose for them to do that would mean they'd need to give a damn about the quality of their output though which obviously they don't

Maybe the ability to read might be an advantage. 

9 hours ago, Empty It said:

I do get excited sometimes but behave yourself.

Behave myself? Lol. You ripped into a guy for mispronouncing a Spanish word! I'm here to tell you I reckon misspelling someone well-known's surname is slightly worse in the pedantry stakes. If you're gonna be a pedant about pronunciation, prepare to have it back at ya.

1 hour ago, VincentGuerin said:

Repeated it several times too.

To be fair, Nathaniel is a horrific name.

Yeah I agree 😂😂 But, I initially thought "oh it's the excitement of the goal, it'll be corrected soon", but no. 

I know it might be petty, but it's an Anglosphere name, so no "pronunciation" excuses - these people are paid handsomely for a job we'd all love to do. Get it right FFS.

At least the radio doesn't have the excerible Craigan though...! 😂