Sportsound Watch

'Journalistic content' requires journalists not barely literate half-wits who happened to have played professional football. Why the football media persist with this idea that the likes of Bonnar, Biscuits, Alan Rough, Neil McCann, Derek Johnstone, Willie Miller etc etc know more about football and are better at talking about it than non ex-pros just because they played the game for money baffles me. How much rubbish do they have to incoherently splutter before someone realises that they actually don't know what they're talking about ?

I think it's very harsh to lump McCann in with the rest of those, he's generally a very good pundit.

8 hours ago, Estragon said:

Willie Miller had no idea who Scotland's all-time leading (male) scorer was when I was listening to the prematch en route to Scotland vs Ukraine the other week. It's like listening to a load of old boys at the bowling club. 

As far as I can tell, he was on the pitch when Dalglish equaled Law's record!  But as other posters have commented, it's quite common for fitba'ers to completely detach themselves from stats and stuff like that.  

On 10/10/2022 at 18:47, Paxo said:

Craig Levein was good value yesterday.

Before the Killie game, discussing Kyle Lafferty, he reckoned that Laff would go on to score double figures this season, until Richard Gordon brought up the likely 10 game ban about to be imposed on him... Levein was completely oblivious to Lafferty's indiscretion and had to ask what the ban was all about.

Not having shown himself up as clueless enough about one of the teams he was being *paid to analyse* he followed up with the gem "the young lad Armstrong is doing well... I say young lad... but I have no idea if he's young or not".

If anyone else showed this level of incompetence at work, surely they'd be reprimanded?

Depends, if your work also regularly employed the likes of Willie Miller, Pat Bonner and “Biscuits” I think you’d probably be okay in the grand scheme of things. 

2 hours ago, CoF said:

Does Tom English have any footballing insight beyond generic intangibles like hard work, mentality and attitude? It’s his go-to for any team that’s playing shite. 

Sounds like a Rugby man taking football advice from Pat Bonner. 

Been following this thread and agree with a lot of the criticism of Sportsound on it.

But it was refreshing tonight to have RG back on. I was back in the car after the Elgin game, and right sharp after the Celtic commentary finished RG gave the scores from the SPFL games, including the lower leagues.

McIntyre just rushes into more Old Firm chat, but I knew the scores from the Kelty and Bonnyrigg games with no unreasonable delay. It's funny how big a difference a simple thing like telling the audience the fucking scores makes.

7 hours ago, HeWhoWalksBehindTheRows said:

Both very nice people, but I don't trust em'.  Willie Miller looks like a deputy headmaster, and Pat Bonner looks like a clown without make-up. 

The best use of this quote I’ve seen was back around brexit vote time and it was applied to Boris Johnson and Michael gove :lol:

13 hours ago, starryfish said:

No reporter at Tannadice tonight? Granted I’m listening to the programme via the BBC Sport website.

They had online commentary, but no reporter to give updates while the game was ongoing. 

Although I remember when they used to do online commentary from all games. You'd be listening to your own team's game, something interesting would happen, then the commentator would suddenly go into "reporter-mode" as they relayed this on the main frequency. That was always a bit odd. 

10 hours ago, DoingThe42 said:

Been following this thread and agree with a lot of the criticism of Sportsound on it.

But it was refreshing tonight to have RG back on. I was back in the car after the Elgin game, and right sharp after the Celtic commentary finished RG gave the scores from the SPFL games, including the lower leagues.

McIntyre just rushes into more Old Firm chat, but I knew the scores from the Kelty and Bonnyrigg games with no unreasonable delay. It's funny how big a difference a simple thing like telling the audience the fucking scores makes.

Aye, it was noticeably more listenable. This season, for the first time in years, I no longer listen to sportsound before and after games. Last night I was quite happy to keep it on in the background. 

6 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Looking forward to hearing Kenny Macintyre discuss the shame and utter embarrassment of watching a Scottish team ship 7 in a European game.

I mean, he did it after our AZ game, he'll surely do the same again?

It's probably all our fault for not trying hard enough.....or something.

I've said before that Macintyre has a Radio Clyde voice, ie, you can tell just from the sound of it how he pure loves the cut and thrust of debate about how brulliant ra Auld Furrum ur. 

RG wisnae brilliant, but he was better.

I'd love them to get Cosgrove to anchor the Saturday show sometime.