Sportsound Watch

35 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Nah, you want impartial pundits, not fans of one of the clubs and/or agents representing a bunch of the players they're talking about. If you don't know enough about every single Premiership club to be able to cover their game, you've got absolutely no place on the prime BBC show.

Yes, if these guys are semi serious about the job they’re doing, it doesn’t take a huge amount of time to get a working knowledge of teams across the league. 

ETA - I don’t know how much of it is cultural/generational in the way some treat Scottish football. See also the nations league and it being a badge of honour not to know how it worked. All a big laugh and too complicated for our quirky, ‘gid lads’ pundits. 

Edited by Dons_1988

I enjoy listening to Rory Loy, he at least gives the impression he could probably talk knowledgeably about most teams in the top couple of leagues. Can't think of many others from the current stable of Sportsound presenters that I could say that about, other than Richard Gordon of course... Chick Young is always good value and enthusiasm goes a very long way, but he's no spring chicken anymore. 

I'm not sure that writing anything on here about how shite things have become with the BBC's Scottish football coverage will change anything.  I've not listened to Clyde SS in years, can't see that changing. 

What's the alternative..? 

9 minutes ago, Delicate Flower said:

And have the cheek to complain about his lack of research! Basics, man.

Eh, he's getting paid to be totally ignorant, posters aren't. 

If you're not willing to do the bare minimum at work then you'll find yourself on the unemployment line, unless you're an ex-pro on BBC Scotland which case it's just banter. Christ, watch a couple of highlights with the annual team photo & a list of squad numbers and you can at least work who "the big guy" rather than sounding like if you just mic'd up a random fan

I tuned in at half 2 on a Saturday to hear the line ups around the grounds ahead of kick off. I was met with an empty-headed dumbfuck chat between Neil McCann and Tom English about which Rangers players would get in to an "Old Firm select". They were debating it in all seriousness and getting faIrly worked up over it.

Yes, just mere minutes until 4 top flight matches, a full fixture list in the Championship, L1 and L2 as well as Scottish Cup fixtures, and these morons are sitting debating about which millionaire footballers will get into a fictional squad of fellow millionaire footballers.

They then rattled through the Rangers line up, debated Rangers' squad depth and tranfer policy in the summer. 2.45pm and I still had no clue what the Dundee Utd line-up was, or any of the others across the top flight.

It's unlistenable. I can manage maybe 10 minutes,. maximum before I'm reaching for the dial to switch to Superscoreboard.

Radio Scotland was a laughing stock for the dinosaurs and/or fucking idiots it's employed over the years, but this season has gone to a new level.

As I said in the summer, they had the perfect chance to chuck cash at Gordon Duncan, give him carte blanche to completely overhaul the show with fresh blood and get rid of the old boys network that has held the show back for so long.

The BBC absolutely fucked it in the summer.

Edited by Shuggie_Murray7

31 minutes ago, Doctor Sanchez said:

.  I've not listened to Clyde SS in years, can't see that changing. 

What's the alternative..? 

No idea of many posters here will agree with me, but I think it’s a decent listen these days - something to put on in the car or in the background. Not in terms of overall coverage, it’s well and truly weighted towards rangers and Celtic and as a commercial phone-in based in central Scotland that’s no surprise. The reason I like it is because unlike sportsound, there’s absolutely no pretence - it knows what it is. It can be very funny, self-deprecating, there’s a bit of connection between the pundits mainly held together by Gordon Duncan who as most on here say is excellent. 

31 minutes ago, CoF said:

No idea of many posters here will agree with me, but I think it’s a decent listen these days - something to put on in the car or in the background. Not in terms of overall coverage, it’s well and truly weighted towards rangers and Celtic and as a commercial phone-in based in central Scotland that’s no surprise. The reason I like it is because unlike sportsound, there’s absolutely no pretence - it knows what it is. It can be very funny, self-deprecating, there’s a bit of connection between the pundits mainly held together by Gordon Duncan who as most on here say is excellent. 

I'll give it a bash. 

16 hours ago, Ray Patterson said:

I really don't like Bonnar but making him do Dunfermline vs Falkirk wouldn't be good radio... or maybe it would?

The big lad for the stripey team has done really well, as has the young lad, and the lad in midfield for the blue team will need to up his game to stop them

7 hours ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

I tuned in at half 2 on a Saturday to hear the line ups around the grounds ahead of kick off. I was met with an empty-headed dumbfuck chat between Neil McCann and Tom English about which Rangers players would get in to an "Old Firm select". They were debating it in all seriousness and getting faIrly worked up over it.

I bet they were careful to keep a fairly even balance between the 2 cheeks too, even though this season you’d really be looking at about 8 Celtic players. 

Edited by Junior_Arab

13 hours ago, Junior_Arab said:

I bet they were careful to keep a fairly even balance between the 2 cheeks too, even though this season you’d really be looking at about 8 Celtic players. 

Only 8?

3 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Only 8?

Anyone ahead of Joe Hart, but after that I'm stuck...maybe Goldson ahead of Carter-Vickers, on the grounds they're both a sort of high level Dave MacPherson, only minus his flair and panache strolling out of defence...

57 minutes ago, Ray Patterson said:

The argument that had McCann raging (which was quite funny) was that all 11 players at the minute would be Celtic players.

And he just wouldn’t accept that this was based on current form. It was a completely nonsensical argument.