Sportsound Watch

I've got some stuff to do around the house this afternoon and I'm normally quite happy working away while listening to OAM. Change of plan- I'm not spending my afternoon listening to a Rangers game with token coverage of the other games. Podcasts for me.

Edit. I've put the radio on for 5 minutes before I start and they are going to reporters at other games for goals. It appears they have reporters covering the games, they just can't be arsed putting them on OAM.

Not only do they not have Open All Mics, but at half-time they go to a report from the game they’ve just had commentary on ahead of two other Premiership fixtures, and any Scottish Cup or lower league games (that’s if they even have reporters at any of those). 

They’ve got reporters at all the top flight games and someone at the Dundee match too. So they could if they wanted. I know the shinty final is on Nan Ghaedel but they could put OAM on medium wave and the commentary on FM or vice versa. They’re just c***s. 

32 minutes ago, CoF said:

Hang on, do we hate OAM and want it binned or do we love OAM and want it back? Make yer fuckin minds up. 

We don't like OAM in its current format where they don't tell people what's going in. It's better though than having a single commentary match where they just talk about that one game before, during and after the game.

25 minutes ago, CoF said:

Hang on, do we hate OAM and want it binned or do we love OAM and want it back? Make yer fuckin minds up. 

There's nothing wrong with OAM as a format. The problem is that for far too long the pundits have been incompetent, out of touch, lazy, biased or simply have a conflict of interest (i.e. they're an agent and represent some of the players their commentating on).

Now the show's lost a strong host and the replacement is a presenter who focuses almost exclusively on one particular club before kick-offs. He also actively goes out of the way to avoid getting coverage during the games, instead encouraging discussions amongst the pundits that more often than not sound like a group of uninformed old men arguing in a pub.

We want OAM to be far less shite than it currently is. But when there is close to a full fixture card on a Saturday at 3PM we expect it to at least be on the air.

49 minutes ago, CoF said:

I like OAM.  It's a great  concept.  The fail is in the execution.  So:

Some journo:  That's a 4th goal now at the Balmoral Stadium
KM:  Thanks, Alison.  Let's go back to Ibrox

Is why so many listeners - including me - are pissed off.

The BBC will get more listeners focusing on just one of the OF every week than if they give everyone equal coverage.

That's the long and short of it and it's utter shit but is what it is.

Simple fact is, they don't care about the standard of their Scottish football coverage.

30 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

The BBC will get more listeners focusing on just one of the OF every week than if they give everyone equal coverage.

I doubt that.  If you want to hear about Rangers you have a myriad of vlogs, message boards and podcasts.  Those of us who dial in to OAM do so to hear  about football in the round.

Toss-up between posting here or on the 'Tinpot' thread: but Macintyre patently read the Scottish Cup R1 scores out from SFA website, and clearly had no idea how many ties there were.

Stopped at Gretna v Edinburgh Uni - almost definitely having failed to click 'load more' - and missed at least 1/3 of draw.

(It evidently also didn't strike him as odd that every club drawn at home began with letters A-G...).

41 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Toss-up between posting here or on the 'Tinpot' thread: but Macintyre patently read the Scottish Cup R1 scores out from SFA website, and clearly had no idea how many ties there were.

Stopped at Gretna v Edinburgh Uni - almost definitely having failed to click 'load more' - and missed at least 1/3 of draw.

(It evidently also didn't strike him as odd that every club drawn at home began with letters A-G...).

Richard Gordon, right from the get-go told me he wanted to take the show from The Glasgow Herald (it was different then) towards the Daily Record.

He did and very successful it was too.

Now, I'm normally the very one, that will default to supporting the purpose of the BBC but today was too much, it was way too much.

Kenny's father Angus was a star and if he wants to truly emulate him, now is the time to try harder.

8 hours ago, Clown Job said:

No issues doing it down south 

That was because there was only one 3pm kick-off in the EPL and TalkSport had the exclusive rights.

On a more normal Saturday, Five Live is like Sportsound was this afternoon.