Sportsound Watch

On 03/09/2022 at 18:29, Leith Green said:

I did catch the McInnes interview, but then Kenny Mac was babbling on about how "Biscuits Preston" was flying off to see one of his clients in England (Billy Gilmour) AS IF I GIVE A f**k.

That baffled me. Preston was available for a couple of minutes after the game to give a very high level summary and then off he popped to watch a game down south. Why not get someone else in who didn't have prior commitments so we could get an actual reflection on the game?

27 minutes ago, Death in Vegas said:

Preston is the worst out them all, he thinks it’s the Allan Preston show. Cuts across someone giving an actual score upd.....

"Oooooooooh! A throw in for Hearts on the half way line!"

37 minutes ago, Death in Vegas said:

Preston is the worst out them all, he thinks it’s the Allan Preston show. Cuts across someone giving an actual score update to roar about The ball nearly dropping to Stevie May.

The whole constant interruption thing is strange and it’s not just him. Surely in todays modern age they can press something to let them know to cut them ASAP rather than bawling their head off. Its like a load of pished guys in the pub trying to put their point across at the same time and just shouting over one another.

1 hour ago, The_Kincardine said:

Alison Mitchell was the very worst for the, "There's been a goal at Tannadice" patter.

Loads of this. And often in a League One or Championship game they'll say 'Goal by Smith, great cross by McDonald, Smith's header and Brown couldn't keep it out. 1-0!'.

With the best will in the world, a lot of listeners don't know many of the individual players of Championship and L1 clubs. So you can tell us the crosser, header, and non-saver all you like, but it would be nice to know what team you're talking about.

Why can't it just be drilled into them as standard practise to say 'Goal for Dundee. Dundee 1-0 Thistle', for example?

Edited by VincentGuerin

32 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

With the best will in the world, a lot of listeners don't know many of the individual players of Championship and L1 clubs. So you can tell us the crosser, header, and non-saver all you like, but it would be nice to know what team you're talking about.

Ditto little old L2 Diddy supporter me, with regards to the Premiership. Your point is spot on, but it works up the way as well as down.

It looks like the 1st 20 minutes or so after kick off are now to be set aside for a banter section amongst the pundits that will only be reluctantly paused if a goal is scored. This week past it was them laughing and trying to take the piss out of each other about whether Hearts were looking "leggy" recently and if they should be at this point in the season.

We're listening for updates about the games, not to hear them have a blether. The quality of pundits has been an issue for a long time on OAM, but now they increasingly don't bother to pay attention to the games. They just bicker away and MacIntyre encourages it for as long as he can.

It's becoming harder to shake the feeling that MacIntyre sees himself as a Jim Traynor-esq figure. The OAM format is a burden preventing him from what he'd rather be doing, presumably a kind of successor to Your Call. Nobody in their right mind should want that.

McIntyre doesn't do reporting. He wants heated discussion only, with him in charge of throwing in the grenades. And his favourite subject to chat about is the OF. I used to listen to it avidly but have now stopped. I now stick music on after I drive home after a game as I know I won't get any info on the other games.

3 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

McIntyre doesn't do reporting. He wants heated discussion only, with him in charge of throwing in the grenades. And his favourite subject to chat about is the OF. I used to listen to it avidly but have now stopped. I now stick music on after I drive home after a game as I know I won't get any info on the other games.

Hes a complete welt.  Giving him the role and Lewis now on a Sunday has completely fucked Sportsound at the weekends.  Gordon is there for weekday games (old firm).  Completely pants now.  They obviously need the old firm boaby for listeners. 

Peter Grant Pat Bonner and now Donnelly?  For god sake sportsound you are better than that. 

17 minutes ago, Hoose Rice said:

Hes a complete welt.  Giving him the role and Lewis now on a Sunday has completely fucked Sportsound at the weekends.  Gordon is there for weekday games (old firm).  Completely pants now.  They obviously need the old firm boaby for listeners. 

Peter Grant Pat Bonner and now Donnelly?  For god sake sportsound you are better than that. 

Donnelly is a baffling one.

No insight, inarticulate, no in-depth knowledge of other teams.

It's an old-fashioned cliche to call BBC output akin to Celtic TV or Rangers TV, but with folk like Bonner and Donnelly it's hard to avoid that charge.

1 minute ago, VincentGuerin said:

Donnelly is a baffling one.

No insight, inarticulate, no in-depth knowledge of other teams.

It's an old-fashioned cliche to call BBC output akin to Celtic TV or Rangers TV, but with folk like Bonner and Donnelly it's hard to avoid that charge.

Theyve added him to the others they have in the first place and think its a good thing. 

It's ludicrous that anyone on bbc radio can look at Bonner or Peter Grant and go "ken what, Simon Donnelly could be a great addition to this" 

All worshiped by Celtic, absolutely shit and boring and clueless or not. 

On 03/09/2022 at 18:29, Leith Green said:

I listened to it on the way home, and got some hopeless analysis from the likes of crichton saying how Livi were doing really well.............lost 3 matches on the bounce before today, ffs.

Apparently she also moaned that Hibs "play a lot of teams reduced to 9 or 10 men" as if any of the red cards (except the Lundstrom one) were not 100% justified !

I did catch the McInnes interview, but then Kenny Mac was babbling on about how "Biscuits Preston" was flying off to see one of his clients in England (Billy Gilmour) AS IF I GIVE A f**k.

Jesus f**k, Dick Gordon but at the very least knew what fans wanted post match - analysis, scores, interviews then wind it up before the news headlines.

Careful what you wish for, Leithy 😘

9 minutes ago, Hoose Rice said:

Theyve added him to the others they have in the first place and think its a good thing. 

It's ludicrous that anyone on bbc radio can look at Bonner or Peter Grant and go "ken what, Simon Donnelly could be a great addition to this" 

All worshiped by Celtic, absolutely shit and boring and clueless or not. 

f**k, I forgot about Grant.

It's absolutely crazy.

If their aim is only to have listeners who want to hear about the Glasgow teams, they are doing a great job.

It's been poor during OaM for some time, Kenny Mac is making it worse.

The lack of post match interviews, technical glitches and no semi competent analysis makes that section almost unlistenable now.

Having Donnelly and McCann on sportscene the other day just topped it off.

Would be great to see some figures on their listener numbers and location etc.