Sportsound Watch

I don't mind Broadfoot. Yes he is a lickspittle toadie who is paid to deliver the SFA line but that means he often actually knows what's going on and why which is beyond the abilities of anyone else on the show.

Especially given they are down to about 2 actual journalists now and one of them is Chick Young

19 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

I don't mind Broadfoot. Yes he is a lickspittle toadie who is paid to deliver the SFA line but that means he often actually knows what's going on and why which is beyond the abilities of anyone else on the show.

Especially given they are down to about 2 actual journalists now and one of them is Chick Young

It's not about whether he knows what's going on or not. Of course he's well-connected and informed. This is beyond dispute.

It's that he's completely disingenuous and is a complete grease-ball.

He's from the profession cigarette companies used to deny smoking was dangerous for decades. He'll simply argue any position he's pointed at.

He was a complete joke on the show yesterday. He deliberately ignored the points being made to him. For all that people (rightly) slag Preston, Preston repeatedly acknowledged the validity of the argument made against him, showed that he understood it, and explained why he still thought the VAR introduction process was wrong. Broadfoot just went Debate Club tactics and misrepresented those disagreeing with him or argued against points they weren't making.

He has this tactic he repeatedly uses where he asks the person disagreeing with him a really obvious question that can only be agreed with, to give the impression the other person hasn't understood the issue. You see this in Parliamentary debate a lot when speakers want to attack undermine the other side rather than address the point. It's classic Debating Society stuff.

In PR he's certainly found the right profession. And I don't mean that as a compliment.

He's a fucking walloper.

Edited by VincentGuerin

Open all Mics specifically is such a great concept, but for years was (and appears to still be) a complete farce. This should be a major driver for the advertisement of our game for all 42 SPFL clubs and to start trying to talk up our game again with decent insight that the normal punter might not consider. Instead, it's a bunch of fuckwits who either can't communicate the simple act of describing action, or don't give so much of a f**k about the game they've been sent to. Either of which is utterly unacceptable. 

15 hours ago, williemillersmoustache said:

I've kept a 30 year old wee transistor radio with me for precisely this reason. It's a had a good innings and deserves its retirement but I feel like its the end of an era. 

Do you call it "Chic Young" ?

It's rare I tune into this garbage programme but yesterday I caught some of what I assume is Sunday Sportsound and thought I heard someone, possibly Peter Grant, say something along the lines of "...a lot of people thought that Postecoglou came over to this country on one of the banana boats..." which seemed an incredibly bizarre way to describe his move to Celtic.

I liked Richard Gordon, but he presided over some absolutely pish chats and dumb as f**k opinions as well.

When Gordon left, it was the perfect opportunity to clear the decks, compeletly overhaul the program, and bring on board some fresh faces. I enjoy folk like Rory Loy, Leanne Crichton etc. 

It was a chance handed to the BBC on a plate to modernise and remove the old boys from our airwaves.

Saturday's show was just fucking woeful and I don't think I'll bother tuning in again.

9 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Peter Grant is the thickest pundit they have ever had on Sportsound, which is a tremendous effort tbf.

The competition for that title could scarcely be more fierce.

I think you're right about the winner though.

On 31/07/2022 at 18:58, VincentGuerin said:

The only winner out of Darryl Broadfoot being on the show is Willie Miller, as he is promoted out of the 'worst thing on the radio' position.

Broadfoot simply comes across as a Debate Club creep. He willfully misrepresents the arguments of those who disagree with him and uses rhetoric rather than sound argument.

A Sportsound future of McIntyre presenting while Broadfoot plays the pedantic creep role is not one I want any part of.

Got any specific example of Broadfoot misrepresenting what others have said ?.....or using rhetoric and soundbites?

I think he's usually a worthwhile contributor with his inside track on the workings of the Scottish football authorities.  Certainly more knowledgeable than some of the ex-pros on matters to do with the governance of the game , as opposed to actual football chat.

On 31/07/2022 at 20:46, craigkillie said:

It means that the BBC's flagship football show is bursting at the seams with folk with conflicts of interest. You've got an SFA employee (call him a consultant or whatever you want, but that's what he is), the head of comms at a Championship club and a prominent player agent who represents several of the players he is commenting on. Then on top of that you have several people being sent exclusively to cover clubs that they support.

That is not a remotely healthy situation to be in, and I have no idea how anyone can think it's a good idea.

I don't think it's a good idea it's obviously intolerable but Broadfoot is a good way down my hitlist.

Once they have journalists back who find things out and represent that information to the public he can go.

Got any specific example of Broadfoot misrepresenting what others have said ?.....or using rhetoric and soundbites?
I think he's usually a worthwhile contributor with his inside track on the workings of the Scottish football authorities.  Certainly more knowledgeable than some of the ex-pros on matters to do with the governance of the game , as opposed to actual football chat.

Here's an example of something related, him making something up and then just hiding away when he's called out about it.

13 hours ago, RiG said:

It's rare I tune into this garbage programme but yesterday I caught some of what I assume is Sunday Sportsound and thought I heard someone, possibly Peter Grant, say something along the lines of "...a lot of people thought that Postecoglou came over to this country on one of the banana boats..." which seemed an incredibly bizarre way to describe his move to Celtic.

Grant being bizarre(or more accurately a bit fucking mental) is a given,  anyone giving him a microphone is as big of an idiot as grant himself.  WTF do they expect to happen?  or are they not caring and just happy to get another sellic man on board?