Sportsound Watch

14 hours ago, NorthBank said:

McIntyre would start an argument in an empty room. Awful listening. Games just finished as he starts a free-for-all and ignores the the matches just completed. Absolute useless in his job. He doesn't want calm discussion but angry shouting.

I wasn’t particularly fond of Richard Gordon, but he at least managed to bring an air of professionalism to the show. Even with Gordon it sometimes felt like a bit of a rabble, but McIntyre makes it sound like an argument at a pub door. 

12 hours ago, Wile E Coyote said:

Macintyre said on OTB today that he interviewed for his post. Fucking hell, what must the rest of the candidates  been like

Pat Bonner and Chick Young collect a wage from the BBC, I don’t think it would have been a rigorous interviewing process.

I wonder how much the production team behind the show are taking in wages. There’s a St Mirren fan on Twitter called Douglas McNeil that is apparently a producer for the BBCs sport output in Scotland. He must be doing cartwheels every time pay day comes around each month. How someone could listen to guys like Miller, Bonner and Young week after week and not come to the conclusion that there just might be better people out there is worrying. Jobs for the boys and there isn’t even the slightest attempt to try and hide it. 

9 hours ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Off the top of my head, just keeping it Scottish, more "loved" sports broadcasters could potentially include Cosgrove, Bill McLaren, Derek Rae, Dougie Donnelly (the king) and, controversially/not for me, Andy Gray 

Seriously ?..... Leaving aside the question of whether being co-presenter of Off the Ball counts as sports broadcasting.....he's become an unfunny ignorant bore who re-hashes the same anecdotes and opinions on an increasingly tedious basis. 

9 hours ago, The Master said:

They need to adopt the Soccer Saturday approach and allocate the reporters to teams they don't have an affinity with. So no more Allan Preston to Tynecastle or McDiarmid Park, and no more Willie Miller to Pittodrie.

That way, it might actually be possible to figure out what's happening instead of being met with screams of joy or despair.

I completely agree with you on not sending these morons to the teams they support every week - the orgasmic screams from "Biscuits"' were unbearable yesterday when Hearts scored - although they did tell us immediately which team had scored - he really wasn't all that enthused by the Ross County goal.  I usually think of Chick as the wage thief I'd most like to see booted (preferably literally) out of the door of the BBC, but then I am reminded how bad Preston is - as a massively biased commentator, a clueless analyst in debates (like the VAR rubbish yesterday) and an agent constantly publicising his players at the licence fee payers' expense.

One small point on the above - I've never heard any screams of joy and despair from poor old Wullie.  Perhaps a small rise in cheerfulness at full-time when he can go home - yesterday his full time score/summary was "that's us finished Kenny". He often misses stuff that's happened and sounds absolutely miserable to have to watch football for money every week.

7 minutes ago, A96 said:

Seriously ?..... Leaving aside the question of whether being co-presenter of Off the Ball counts as sports broadcasting.....he's become an unfunny ignorant bore who re-hashes the same anecdotes and opinions on an increasingly tedious basis. 

You could have had a golden retriever sitting beside Tam Cowan for the last 20 odd years and it would be heralded as broadcasting royalty in comparison to that balloon.  

13 hours ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Off the top of my head, just keeping it Scottish, more "loved" sports broadcasters could potentially include Cosgrove, Bill McLaren, Derek Rae, Dougie Donnelly (the king) and, controversially/not for me, Andy Gray 

Derek Rae of Aberdeen?

Yep felt the show was terrible yesterday and "Kenny Mac" a sneery weegie w**k. Awful.

I switched off the discussion about VAR as it was cringeworthy.

Well, as it is. It's always difficult to follow a legend in whatever walk of life and it will take a while for people to stop comparing this imposter versus Richard Gordon. Gordon was far from perfect but was a great professional. Everything "Kenny Mac" isn't

16 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Richard Gordon is the most loved broadcaster in the history of any media in any country, so unlucky. 

He had a dreadful habit of losing the thread of a conversation. Occasionally he'd get an interesting discussion going, [during OAM], then some moron would shout GOAL! Off they would pop to some ground for a report, then come back and start talking about something else. He just needed a pencil and a piece of paper to keep track.

Edited by Lord Snooty
love me for a reason, let that reason be love

1 hour ago, Arch Stanton said:

Only covering the 1st half of the Saints v Well game presumably so that Gordon and Miller can bump their gums for 40 minutes about Sellick v Aberdeen before it even kicks off.

The whole of the Saints v Well game is being covered. 

1 minute ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

Aye, but not on the main channel, which i was listening to and now have to go and find another way if i want to continue.  So they can talk about what a miracle worker Postecoglu is

The only valid criticism here is previously if you were using BBC sounds there was no split frequency option. This has now been addressed and there's a BBC Scotland Extra. Mad its taken ao long tbh. But shifting to AM isnt much too ask. So i can't see any valid complaints about todays Doon Derby coverage. 

1 minute ago, williemillersmoustache said:

The only valid criticism here is previously if you were using BBC sounds there was no split frequency option. This has now been addressed and there's a BBC Scotland Extra. Mad its taken ao long tbh. But shifting to AM isnt much too ask. So i can't see any valid complaints about todays Doon Derby coverage. 

AM is shite though.  But point accepted

15 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

I've kept a 30 year old wee transistor radio with me for precisely this reason. It's a had a good innings and deserves its retirement but I feel like its the end of an era. 

Just listen live on your phone no? 

The only winner out of Darryl Broadfoot being on the show is Willie Miller, as he is promoted out of the 'worst thing on the radio' position.

Broadfoot simply comes across as a Debate Club creep. He willfully misrepresents the arguments of those who disagree with him and uses rhetoric rather than sound argument.

A Sportsound future of McIntyre presenting while Broadfoot plays the pedantic creep role is not one I want any part of.

2 hours ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

Aye, but not on the main channel, which i was listening to and now have to go and find another way if i want to continue.  So they can talk about what a miracle worker Postecoglu is

For an adult, if you are, it’s really not difficult to change to a different channel to get what you want.

2 hours ago, williemillersmoustache said:

The only valid criticism here is previously if you were using BBC sounds there was no split frequency option. This has now been addressed and there's a BBC Scotland Extra.

It’s not obviously there, though. You need to open the main channel schedule (not the listen live screen) and it’s the next blob along at the top. 

2 hours ago, williemillersmoustache said:

Thank f**k they’ve sorted that

Hopefully means I can delete that crap BBC Sport app