Sportsound Watch

1 minute ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Off the top of my head, just keeping it Scottish, more "loved" sports broadcasters could potentially include Cosgrove, Bill McLaren, Derek Rae, Dougie Donnelly (the king) and, controversially/not for me, Andy Gray 

I’m surprised you hadn’t picked up the slightly tongue in cheek nature of my post but in any case, I will allow you Derek Rae. 

All jokes aside, if the content being delivered is accurate and you merely don’t like someone’s accent then calling them a ‘genuinely terrible broadcaster’ is overly harsh to say the least. 

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

And that they're wood. When was the last time the goal frame was actually wood?

The last wooden goalposts at Hampden were taken down at the end of the 1987 season. 

The last Scotsman to score in a match at Hampden with wooden posts was Ian Ferguson for St Mirren vs Dundee United.

That was also the last time an all Scottish team won the Scottish Cup.

Edited by SuperSaints1877

6 hours ago, captainkev said:

And that was utterly ridiculous from Preston for the Hearts goal too. Screaming about Hearts going 1-0 up on the opening game of the season as if it's an Aguero-esque last gasp title decider. He needs punted alongside a few others.

They need to adopt the Soccer Saturday approach and allocate the reporters to teams they don't have an affinity with. So no more Allan Preston to Tynecastle or McDiarmid Park, and no more Willie Miller to Pittodrie.

That way, it might actually be possible to figure out what's happening instead of being met with screams of joy or despair.

18 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Off the top of my head, just keeping it Scottish, more "loved" sports broadcasters could potentially include Cosgrove, Bill McLaren, Derek Rae, Dougie Donnelly (the king) and, controversially/not for me, Andy Gray 

Comparing Cosgrove and Rae to Gordon is an insult to me. But I am aware I am one of few who dislike rae

The funny thing about Preston going apeshit at Hearts scoring was that it was a fucking tap in against Ross County ffs. Fair enough if you’ve just ripped a 30 yarder into the top corner against Real Madrid in the last minute.

23 minutes ago, The Master said:

They need to adopt the Soccer Saturday approach and allocate the reporters to teams they don't have an affinity with. So no more Allan Preston to Tynecastle or McDiarmid Park, and no more Willie Miller to Pittodrie.

That way, it might actually be possible to figure out what's happening instead of being met with screams of joy or despair.

I'd be all in favour for that, particularly to put an end to Pat Bonner getting paid to go see Celtic every week.

52 minutes ago, captainkev said:

I'd be all in favour for that, particularly to put an end to Pat Bonner getting paid to go see Celtic every week.

The problem with that would be that Pat Bonner knows little about every other team in the division so there’d be no point regularly sending him to cover non-Celtic games. 
Alternatively, he should be part of a big clear-out by the BBC along with the likes of Miller and “Biscuits”. 

7 minutes ago, JagsCG said:

The problem with that would be that Pat Bonner knows little about every other team in the division so there’d be no point regularly sending him to cover non-Celtic games. 
Alternatively, he should be part of a big clear-out by the BBC along with the likes of Miller and “Biscuits”. 

Aye Bonner is possibly the worst. Comes across as an actual idiot at times. OAM could be decent if they had the right folk in place instead of the old boys network.

Folk calling Preston 'biscuits' really does my tits in for some reason 

*On the show not in general like on here 😁

Edited by Squalor Vic

32 minutes ago, Squalor Vic said:

Aye Bonner is possibly the worst. Comes across as an actual idiot at times. OAM could be decent if they had the right folk in place instead of the old boys network.

Folk calling Preston 'biscuits' really does my tits in for some reason 

*On the show not in general like on here 😁

is that because hes a penguin looking twat?

1 hour ago, JagsCG said:

It's abundantly clear that Bonner knows absolutely nothing about who Celtic are playing each week. The only exception obviously being when they play Sevco. You'd hope not getting to see his team play every week would sour the appeal of the job for Bonner and he'd walk away without needing to be told to sod off.

A clear-out would be the ideal scenario. There is really no excuse for just how poor most of the pundits on the show are. Especially considering how long many of them have been doing it for. 

It's only been a couple of weeks since Chic Young managed to overlook a penalty being scored in a League cup penalty shoot out and then rambled on that both teams had therefore earned bonus points for drawing the shootout. But obviously the BBC see no problem with that quality of reporting. So he's still there, still trusted to cover Premiership matches.