Sportsound Watch

1 hour ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Every time the term is uttered, anywhere, anytime, even more so from a fan of a non bigot brother club, is perpetuating the myth. 

As I'm sure you know, Celtic renewed the name 'Old Firm; as a trademark with their Ibrox cheek last year in March: "UK00002264673".

But you are correct about the myth.

8 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

As I'm sure you know, Celtic renewed the name 'Old Firm; as a trademark with their Ibrox cheek last year in March: "UK00002264673".

But you are correct about the myth.

It was done to stop others using it for commercial gain. We have been enforcing it more recently hence Sevco absolutely losing their minds at their last home derby by throwing it about everywhere as they can still do with it as they please. Regardless I’m struggling to give a f**k about it tbh. It’s the somewhat similar to when people refer to the premiership as the SPL we know it’s a different entity now but can’t be arsed correcting anyone. 

Edited by gannonball

For me, it's entirely accurate and appropriate to refer to the Old Firm.  For diddies to deny its existence is to close our eyes to the powerful enemy our game faces.  It absolutely is an entity and whether the original Rangers died has no bearing on that.

It's nothing like references to the SPL which really did come to an end, which is why there are now playoffs between the top two divisions and no ludicrous ground criteria for top flight clubs.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

1 hour ago, gannonball said:

It was done to stop others using it for commercial gain. We have been enforcing it more recently hence Sevco absolutely losing their minds at their last home derby by throwing it about everywhere as they can still do with it as they please. Regardless I’m struggling to give a f**k about it tbh. It’s the somewhat similar to when people refer to the premiership as the SPL we know it’s a different entity now but can’t be arsed correcting anyone. 

I go out of my way to do this, because the people who are upset by it need to have a long look at their priorities in life.

I also regularly refer to the Champions League as the European Cup and the Europa League as the UEFA Cup.

Anyone who has a problem with this, square go.

I go out of my way to do this, because the people who are upset by it need to have a long look at their priorities in life.

People who go out of their way to do things like that should be front of the queue for life priority gazing.

12 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

I also regularly refer to the Champions League as the European Cup and the Europa League as the UEFA Cup.

Anyone who has a problem with this, square go.

The European tournaments I'll give you.

Witnessing the demise of the SPL was actually a pretty major priority in my life for long enough though.

Therefore, square go it is.

14 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

The European tournaments I'll give you.

Witnessing the demise of the SPL was actually a pretty major priority in my life for long enough though.

Therefore, square go it is.

Me and you, the car park at Auchterarder, 1pm on the first Saturday of the new SPL season. Broadcast on Sportsound.

13 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

For me, it's entirely accurate and appropriate to refer to the Old Firm.  For diddies to deny its existence is to close our eyes to the powerful enemy our game faces.  It absolutely is an entity and whether the original Rangers died has no bearing on that.

It's nothing like references to the SPL which really did come to an end, which is why there are now playoffs between the top two divisions and no ludicrous ground criteria for top flight clubs.

To be fair we could have had those changes without having to change the names of all the divisions and going full tin pot by mirroring that of down south rather than coming up with our own twist.

12 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

The fact people still call it the SPL shows what a failure the rebranding has been 

It wasn't just a rebranding ffs.

It was a much more profound shift, even if some personnel regrettably remained on board.

Only ignorant fans of top flight clubs saw this as purely cosmetic.

5 minutes ago, gannonball said:

To be fair we could have had those changes without having to change the names of all the divisions and going full tin pot by mirroring that of down south rather than coming up with our own twist.

A totally separate argument.

10 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

It wasn't just a rebranding ffs.

It was a much more profound shift, even if some personnel regrettably remained on board.

Only ignorant fans of top flight clubs saw this as purely cosmetic.

Aye fair point 

It was a bit of a disgrace we allowed the SFL to be binned 

9 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

Aye fair point 

It was a bit of a disgrace we allowed the SFL to be binned 

The disgraceful bit was in 1998 when clubs like yours abandoned the SFL.   

Seriously, I think there's just complete ignorance around this.   

The SPL was established simply as an exercise in pulling up the drawbridge on those underneath.   

Preposterous distribution of money, the absurd 10,000 seat requirement and the self serving 1 up; 1 down model of movement, were all designed to protect the bigger clubs from sharing.  It was shoddy in the extreme.

Its demise hasn't seen each of these righted, but it has seen them improved.   

Calling it a simple re-brand is to miss all of that, presumably because it hardly mattered to your club.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

4 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

The SPL was established simply as an exercise in pulling up the drawbridge on those underneath.   

Preposterous distribution of money, the absurd 10,000 seat requirement and the self serving 1 up; 1 down model of movement, were all designed to protect the bigger clubs from sharing.  It was shoddy in the extreme.

Calling it a simple re-brand is to miss all of that, presumably because it hardly mattered to your club.

It wouldn’t be the most surprising thing in the world if we returned to a new form of SPL in the future tbh. 

2 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

It wouldn’t be the most surprising thing in the world if we returned to a new form of SPL in the future tbh. 

No it wouldn't.

It would again be disgraceful though.  

There was a lot of talk for a while about setting up an SPL2.  Fortunately, that didn't happen, but initiatives dedicated to naked self interest are rarely far away in football.

14 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I think most people agree with this.

But while you focus on the ignorance of top-flight fans and the selfishness of the clubs, you ignore the external pressures on the top-flight clubs at the time.

The Premier League's tv deal, the Bosman rule, and the new structure and financial realities of the Champions League meant the clubs felt they had to try something to protect their ability to compete.

Of course it was flawed and poorly thought-out, and there was a dose of selfishness, but then what clubs ever act in the interests of other clubs? In reality, pretty much none.

There's more to it than 'the big clubs hate small clubs'.

Edited by VincentGuerin

2 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

I think most people agree with this.

But while you focus on the ignorance of top-flight fans and the selfishness of the clubs, you ignore the external pressures on the top-flight clubs at the time.

The Premier League's tv deal, the Bosman rule, and the new structure and financial realities of the Champions League meant the clubs felt they had to try something to protext their ability to compete.

Of course it was flawed and poorly thought-out, and there was a dose of selfishness, but then what clubs ever act in the interests of other clubs? In reality, pretty much none.

There's more to it than 'the big clubs hate small clubs'.

It wasn't hatred.

It was just self interest with no sense of solidarity or obligation to other clubs.  The drawbridge was hoisted at a particular moment, an attempt to freeze the snapshot in play at the time.

It didn't represent any sort of response to the CL or Bosman.  How could it?  It was all about greed.  

I could only laugh at the outrage over that proposed European Super League breakaway thing last year.  In character, it differed very little from similar steps in football all over the place in the last three decades.  The creation of the SPL was a relative.

Its always "top flight clubs are evil, self interested, monsters" you hear from perennial lower league fans.

Never any mention of how hard the lower league clubs fought, and continue to fight, to prevent those below League Two getting promoted. 

It wont be a true pyramid structure until they have automatic spots at that level.