Sportsound Watch

14 hours ago, Matthew Mols said:

I think apathy for Gordon is reflective of the Scottish football media as a whole. He has been there for 30 years and, as such, is part of the archaic deadwood that flies in the face of progress and open mindedness. ... See malky Mackay and Alex Rae as examples of men who are given roles they are inappropriate for and under qualified for but are shoe horned in as white Scottish men. 

In his P&J column following Malky Mackay's appointment at Ross County, Richard Gordon described fans who took issue with it as "desperate to be offended". So as much as he might be a competent broadcaster, that sums your point up nicely.

4 hours ago, Forfinn said:

In his P&J column following Malky Mackay's appointment at Ross County, Richard Gordon described fans who took issue with it as "desperate to be offended". So as much as he might be a competent broadcaster, that sums your point up nicely.

Newspaper columns are by their nature there to prompt the reader to some degree of passionate response and if that doesn't happen the columnist isn't doing it right but to be offended by such a piece, that is a bit desperate.

Also, was it a full page column or slightly less?

29 minutes ago, sophia said:

Newspaper columns are by their nature there to prompt the reader to some degree of passionate response and if that doesn't happen the columnist isn't doing it right but to be offended by such a piece, that is a bit desperate.

Also, was it a full page column or slightly less?

The "it" in this context was of course the appointment of Malky Mackay rather than the column. I suspect you know that, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

8 hours ago, Forfinn said:

Yes, also plenty other examples of the small minded behaviour that has been a staple for the show since it's inception. As for his reputation as a "competent broadcaster", (as I see this type of adoration has reared his head as if he had just passed away - reminder he isn't even retiring just stepping back from Saturday's) I don't actually like his style. Anyone else notice come the full time whistle he burps and splutters his way through the results? Also his incessant laughing in between every sentence. Not everything is that funny. Especially when people bring up serious topics. 

Sportsound needs to move with the times. Give Scottish football the coverage it deserves.

• 3 weeks later...

Listen to the Saturday show infrequently so doesn’t have a huge impact on me, but that’s a shocking choice. Constantly tries to stir the pot, and can be quite aggressive at times. 

Hopefully means his days of bullying Darryl Broadfoot and spurring on Tom English on the Sunday/Monday show are over though. 

Edited by PSJ.84

2 minutes ago, A96 said:

Ach , I don’t mind him.  He doesn’t overdo the Hvn arselicking.

And he’s probably the best of the rest of the regular presenters of Sunday/Midweek Sportsound in recent years...... (Jane Lewis and the insufferable David Currie being the others who spring to mind).

What?

He's an arch sticky bun.