Sportsound Watch

12 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Killie fans were ahead of the curve in disliking Peter Grant, he's been a hit of a hate figure amongst anyone aged about 35+ in our support on account of some sort of incident in a game at Rugby Park in 1994 (I think).

Was there not a particularly tousy affair at Celtic Park just after Burns left Killie? I believe Killie were 2-0 up but lost 4-2. Possibly that game?

I remember a mate of mine (Celtic supporter) was at the game and reported that evening it had had significant niggle and aggro etc.

Just checked and it seems that game may have been the following year. So, who knows?

Edited by VincentGuerin

4 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Peter Grant genuinely has no business in football. The guy is an atrocious manager and has zero idea about the game.

He's just claimed that Craig Gordon had very little to do last night. I must have imagined the numerous saves he made and the numerous times he was asked to play the ball.

Grant also claimed that the result and performance was 'nothing to do' with the manager.

Well that's hardly surprising...

Was there not a particularly tousy affair at Celtic Park just after Burns left Killie? I believe Killie were 2-0 up but lost 4-2. Possibly that game?
I remember a mate of mine (Celtic supporter) was at the game and reported that evening it had had significant niggle and aggro etc.
Just checked and it seems that game may have been the following year. So, who knows?

Sounds about right. There was definitely bad blood around that era, think there was a game when van Hooijdonk was accused of diving to win a late penalty too.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

Killie fans were ahead of the curve in disliking Peter Grant, he's been a hit of a hate figure amongst anyone aged about 35+ in our support on account of some sort of incident in a game at Rugby Park in 1994 (I think).

I thought everyone who didn't support Celtic hated him from the word go and to be fair he always seemed to like it that way.

Just now, Sergeant Wilson said:

I thought everyone who didn't support Celtic hated him from the word go and to be fair he always seemed to like it that way.

Tbh I find him quite insufferable now too and the stories about him constantly undermining Mowbray when he was manager probably explains why his tenure was such a disaster.

42 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

My old man's best pal was a huge Celtic fan, and even he fucking detested Peter Grant.

He used to describe Grant's performances as "pointing at everyone else, and generally being a useless c**t"

1 minute ago, Mark Connolly said:

My old man's best pal was a huge Celtic fan, and even he fucking detested Peter Grant.

He used to describe Grant's performances as "pointing at everyone else, and generally being a useless c**t"

In fairness to the man, he even said on sportsound today that he was good at talking to others and pointing but not very good at football. 

28 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

A bit like Scott Brown, only not as good.

6 hours ago, gannonball said:

If you have a dislike to Richard Gordon I’m guessing you are quite an unhinged person. Just seems to be one of the good guys in life.

I think apathy for Gordon is reflective of the Scottish football media as a whole. He has been there for 30 years and, as such, is part of the archaic deadwood that flies in the face of progress and open mindedness. These guys serve to protect their own. Gordon et al champion Aberdeen at every opportunity - I get that he is a fan. But his perception of that club is stuck in the Aberdeen of old and almost as outdated as his attitude to sectarianism. Sportsound has failed to address this stain on our game and the platform he has had for decades has enabled this to avoid answerability. Meanwhile, every failed Scottish manager and friend of the show is touted for every job going at the expense of minority and better qualified coaches from overseas. Sportsound and the SFA transmits this culture. See malky Mackay and Alex Rae as examples of men who are given roles they are inappropriate for and under qualified for but are shoe horned in as white Scottish men. 

I do quite like the idea of a 'Sportsound watch' though, tbf. Something along the lines of the attached image, but with ten different annoying alarms, which all go off at the same time between 15:00 and 16:45 every Saturday.

MMWatch.jpg

16 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

I think it was from a game (November 1993) when we drew 2-2 at Rugby Park and Tom Brown was sent off for trying to punch Peter Grant.   If I remember correctly I think he missed.  Mark Skilling scored a late equaliser too.  

Nowadays I don't mind Grant - funny how less important things are as you get older. 

Edited by paul wright scores

16 hours ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Is Richard Gordon actually fucking off or is this another Chick Young retirement moment?

Even though he isn't actually disappearing from the coverage, the two situations aren't remotely comparable.  RG has been a beacon of calm competence in anchoring Sportsound over the years amidst a sea of idiots, and it's quite clear that he's standing down from Saturdays but still doing other days. 

Chick on the other hand has enjoyed the luckiest broadcasting "career" I can think of given his absolute lack of talent  - and he really did trumpet that he was retiring, with the BBC sending him off with a farewell series about Scotland at the world cup (IIRC he swanned around abroad making it?), before boldly turning up the following season on OAM with his usual terrible jokes, word salads and pointless interruptions, as though nothing had happened.  He's the George Costanza of the Scottish football media, with less charm or integrity.

Edited by VictorOnopko

18 minutes ago, VictorOnopko said:

Even though he isn't actually disappearing from the coverage, the two situations aren't remotely comparable.  RG has been a beacon of calm competence in anchoring Sportsound over the years amidst a sea of idiots, and it's quite clear that he's standing down from Saturdays but still doing other days. 

Chick on the other hand has enjoyed the luckiest broadcasting "career" I can think of given his absolute lack of talent  - and he really did trumpet that he was retiring, with the BBC sending him off with a farewell series about Scotland at the world cup (IIRC he swanned around abroad making it?), before boldly turning up the following season on OAM with his usual terrible jokes, word salads and pointless interruptions, as though nothing had happened.  He's the George Costanza of the Scottish football media, with less charm or integrity.

This IS the show. !!!!