Sportsound Watch

21 hours ago, Doctor Sanchez said:

Wullie Miller is a blight on the BBC.  He adds nothing, miserable attitude, poor knowledge of anything outside of Aberdeen.  The guy makes Paddy Bonnar look like a capable and professional broadcaster.  They both need to be jetisoned, pronto. 

I'm completely on board with this.

Can it really be true that, by sheer coincidence, every game covered by Willie Miller is an utter bore-fest? Is it more likely that he's making it seem that way?

Is there another pundit, aside from Bonnar, who only ever covers one club?

Beyond a joke now.

Willie Miller has been shite for at least a decade.  I cannot deal with the lack of research that he seems to do - best typified by his approach to the Nations League, where he didn't just read about it for five minutes to get a handle on how it works, but seemed to actively lobby against its ability to be understood in a wider context - as though nobody could possibly get their head around this thing he hadn't fucking bothered his shirt to know about.

Just drive him to a game at Annan and fucking leave him there.

I'm not too fussed about Wullie Miller TBF. He's always been dour-as-dishwater. And I don't expect their is another side to him that is just waiting to show itself.

But the 'Celtic correspondent' thing with P Bonner is absolutely ridiculous. Nothing against him personally. But poor show by BBC Scotland to allow one club to have it's own dedicated pundit that gets more than the lion's share of airtime to promote the Celtic perspective. 

As a license payer, I expect - and would like to hear - a lot more impartiality from pundits.  

20 minutes ago, paranoid android said:

I'm completely on board with this.

Can it really be true that, by sheer coincidence, every game covered by Willie Miller is an utter bore-fest? Is it more likely that he's making it seem that way?

Is there another pundit, aside from Bonnar, who only ever covers one club?

Beyond a joke now.

Willie Miller - almost always Aberdeen and always talking the game down

Paddy Bonnar - always Celtic, I think they tried him at other games but he spoke about Celtic anyway  

Alan Preston - Usually Hearts, St Johnstone or wherever his latest money spinning client is playing

Derek Ferguson - Hamilton or Motherwell

Jane Lewis - Often not sure where she is, who's scored or who's playing.

Chic Young - St Mirren or Kilmarnock, still barred from his regular haunt.

6 minutes ago, killiekranky said:

Willie Miller - almost always Aberdeen and always talking the game down

Paddy Bonnar - always Celtic, I think they tried him at other games but he spoke about Celtic anyway  

Alan Preston - Usually Hearts, St Johnstone or wherever his latest money spinning client is playing

Derek Ferguson - Hamilton or Motherwell

Jane Lewis - Often not sure where she is, who's scored or who's playing.

Chic Young - St Mirren or Kilmarnock, still barred from his regular haunt.

I see a flaw in the Alan Preston theory.

As Chic Young is now technically a freelancer and not on the BBC staff there's no reason why he shouldn't be able to go and cover his favourite club. 

55 minutes ago, Estragon said:

Willie Miller has been shite for at least a decade.  I cannot deal with the lack of research that he seems to do - best typified by his approach to the Nations League, where he didn't just read about it for five minutes to get a handle on how it works, but seemed to actively lobby against its ability to be understood in a wider context - as though nobody could possibly get their head around this thing he hadn't fucking bothered his shirt to know about.

Just drive him to a game at Annan and fucking leave him there.

Tbf he wasn't the only or by any means the worst (Preston takes that ticket) for the Nations League debacle. I remember being in the car with my mate listening to the morons discuss it and it was fucking feeble.

Given I and countless other ordinary fans had grasped, from little more than 5 minutes of reading, that it probably meant Scotland would more than likely get a back door into a Tournament qualifier (as indeed happened) the faux outrage and almost wilful ignorance displayed is just one of the many reasons I rarely submit myself to listening to these clowns anymore...

7 minutes ago, Jimmain said:

Tbf he wasn't the only or by any means the worst (Preston takes that ticket) for the Nations League debacle. I remember being in the car with my mate listening to the morons discuss it and it was fucking feeble.

Given I and countless other ordinary fans had grasped, from little more than 5 minutes of reading, that it probably meant Scotland would more than likely get a back door into a Tournament qualifier (as indeed happened) the faux outrage and almost wilful ignorance displayed is just one of the many reasons I rarely submit myself to listening to these clowns anymore...

You see, for me Preston is the poster boy for the maddeningly underinformed hubbub that surrounds synthetic pitches.  He might well have been worse than Wullie on the NL, but my disgust for him is already at saturation point and it's as though I can't take on any new frustrations with him.

When Chick Young was providing updates on the Airdrie play off game this weekend he was enthuastic, knowledgeable, spoke the game up at every opportunity.

A wee bit of enthusiasm goes a long way in sports entertainment. The Eeyore routine is simply not good enough. Rory Loy seems to have a good balance of not being over the top but making the games he reports at sound entertaining.

5 minutes ago, Doctor Sanchez said:

Rory Loy seems to have a good balance of not being over the top but making the games he reports at sound entertaining.

Agreed, you have to think there must be others out there in the same vein who will improve what we have?

11 minutes ago, Doctor Sanchez said:

When Chick Young was providing updates on the Airdrie play off game this weekend he was enthuastic, knowledgeable, spoke the game up at every opportunity.

A wee bit of enthusiasm goes a long way in sports entertainment. The Eeyore routine is simply not good enough. Rory Loy seems to have a good balance of not being over the top but making the games he reports at sound entertaining.

Not for me. Find Chick Young one of the worst.

Constantly cutting in on open all mics to give an unimportant update which takes him about a minute to do. Often seems genuinely confused as well.

Agree on Rory Loy.

Willie Miller isn't actually knowledgeable.

He tells the listener little about the game that you don't already know. His playing career was in an era now so long ago that he has nothing to offer in terms of technical expertise, and he was soon emptied out of being a coach (about thirty years ago). His technical knowledge doesn't extend beyond stuff we know ourselves, like that the defender was caught on the wrong side, or the attacker held the ball too long so his team-mate was caught offside. There's nothing he has to offer that illuminates, and certainly nothing befitting the status he seems to have.

His views on the game are a mile out of date, and even the things he says about 'mentality' etc etc are based on his experiences decades ago.

He really has nothing to offer in terms of actual useful expertise. Add in that he doesn't do basic research, knows very little about the teams he's watching, has no enthusiasm for the game, and is an inarticulate mess, and we have a fucking weird choice for a pundit.

He's really fucking dreadful.

18 minutes ago, kennie makevin said:

Neither Rangers, Hearts, Celtic, Aberdeen or anyone else deserve to win a trophy. Too much entitlement in Scottish football. 

This is true, however you are forgetting that Aberdeen have already won the "Tattie" this season, so are very much entitled to be talked of in those rarified terms.

On 16/05/2022 at 14:44, Doctor Sanchez said:

Derek Ferguson is thick as f**k but you always get the impression he's delighted to be paid to watch games of football. Probably one of my favourites on OAM.

22 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Derek Ferguson is thick as f**k but you always get the impression he's delighted to be paid to watch games of football. Probably one of my favourites on OAM.

Agree with this.  It's like he's won a watch regardless of any game he is at.  Unlike Millar and Preston who genuinely seem gutted to be reporting. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just been reading through the last few pages to catch up as I've not been on the site for a while.

Like many others, sorry to hear that Richard Gordon is leaving Saturday afternoons. Great level of knowledge and professionalism. Has been the (informed) voice of my Saturday afternoons for many years and I will really miss him. What a contrast to what went before - Derek Rae, who had a mid-Atlantic accent even before he went to the US and Tom Ferrie, a mis-promoted pop DJ.  Richard was always well-prepared and very good at handling the bunch of talking heads that now pass for pundits. Reading previous posts, it's clear that we all have our favourites and those we dislike. I can find fault with all of them for one thing or another, but I do prefer those who try to put some enthusiasm into their reports. For that reason, Derek Ferguson is one I don't mind and new boy, Rory Loy, seems to have something about him.

Who should be the new anchor? Like so many others, I think it will be hard to find someone as able as Richard. But Kenny McIntyre? Just Noooooooooooo!!

In the words of Joni Mitchell, 'You don't know what you've got till it's gone'.