Sportsound Watch

2 hours ago, A96 said:

Of all the things you could have a go at Kenny McIntyre for, that’s not really one of them.   The play-offs ARE weighted in favour of the Premiership club.

Only in terms of the order of the second leg.

If the Premiership club plays the club that finished second in the Championship, both will have played 38 games prior. 

They’re weighted against the Championship teams that finish 3rd and 4th. But that makes perfect sense. 

2 hours ago, A96 said:

So you could criticise him for stating the bleeding obvious.... or for just talking drivel if he was wasting his breath and everyone’s time by giving any reason why Dundee would aim to finish 11th rather than 12th

I’m criticising the idea that Dundee would be driven solely by the (perception) that the Premiership side has a huge advantage when Dundee themselves demonstrated that can’t be taken for granted. 

There’s clearly many reasons why finishing 11th is better than 12th, but what Kenny Macintyre said isn’t one of them. 

6 hours ago, The Master said:

If the Premiership club plays the club that finished second in the Championship, both will have played 38 games prior. 

They’re weighted against the Championship teams that finish 3rd and 4th. But that makes perfect sense. 

The weighting isn't just about the number of games played over the season though, is it?

The 2nd bottom Premiership club is already in the final of a competition that the 2nd top Championship side is merely in a semi final for, while those finishing 3rd and 4th are effectively in a quarter final. 

That's not the case in the play-offs between the other SPFL divisions.

44 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

The weighting isn't just about the number of games played over the season though, is it?

The 2nd bottom Premiership club is already in the final of a competition that the 2nd top Championship side is merely in a semi final for, while those finishing 3rd and 4th are effectively in a quarter final. 

That's not the case in the play-offs between the other SPFL divisions.

They’re straight into the final having played two games more over the season (assuming the 2nd placed team reaches the final).

It could be argued that expecting the Premiership team to play an extra 2 games (a 2-legged semi-final) would be unfair.

Edited by The Master

11 minutes ago, The Master said:

They’re straight into the final having played two games more over the season (assuming the 2nd placed team reaches the final).

It could be argued that expecting the Premiership team to play an extra 2 games (a 2-legged semi-final) would be unfair.

It could be, but only a simpleton wouldn't see right through it.

The 2 extra games isn't the reason for favouring the top flight club; it's the excuse for it.

7 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

It could be, but only a simpleton wouldn't see right through it.

The 2 extra games isn't the reason for favouring the top flight club; it's the excuse for it.

It’s entirely possible for it both to be a fair format, and originally put in place for the wrong reasons.

It’s also worth remembering that for all the complaining, it’s currently “only” 4-3 in favour of the Premiership (and I’d say there’s a strong chance of it being levelled-up this season). 

Edited by The Master

1 hour ago, The Master said:

It’s entirely possible for it both to be a fair format, and originally put in place for the wrong reasons.

It’s also worth remembering that for all the complaining, it’s currently “only” 4-3 in favour of the Premiership (and I’d say there’s a strong chance of it being levelled-up this season). 

Given that for a long while, there was no play-off regarding the top flight at all, it's welcome.  

The self preservation isn't what it was thankfully, but it still has traces in this format.  Finishing second bottom of the top division carries a lesser penalty than it does in the two divisions immediately beneath it.

The 38 game thing, allows this to be rationalised as fair, but it's not convincing.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

53 minutes ago, ropy said:

Is the preference a straight shoot out between 11th and 2nd?

It should be 2nd v 3rd, then winner v second bottom, at every level.

The idea that someone finishing 4th in a 10 team division can get promoted is crazy to me.

If you're feeling fancy follow the Italian rules to some degree. Just as a quick example without any delve into actual numbers, say....

Any team second bottom but 10+ points behind 3rd bottom gets relegated automatically, so 2nd v 3rd would become the Final. Any team who finishes 2nd and 10+ pts clear of 3rd goes automatically into the Final v 11th. If both come true then no Play-Offs.

49 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Any team second bottom but 10+ points behind 3rd bottom gets relegated automatically, so 2nd v 3rd would become the Final. Any team who finishes 2nd and 10+ pts clear of 3rd goes automatically into the Final v 11th. If both come true then no Play-Offs.

I'd take that on the condition that Derek Ferguson should explain the format on Sportsound every May. 

13 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

"Horses for courses" really.

Lower levels all play 36 games and all finish late April/early May.... 2x SFs > Final makes sense.

Premiership plays 38 games and finishes mid/late May... QF > SF > Final makes sense.

Don't be naive.

It's perfectly possible to recognise the logic, and indeed truth, of what you're saying, while taking an entirely cynical view of the self serving nature of the arrangement.

When the top flight made this departure from the disgraceful 1 up; 1 down of the SPL era, there was clearly still a desire to protect Premiership clubs.  That's been done by putting the top division side straight into the final.  That can be justified by pointing to the 2 extra games, but it would be foolish to not see that the desire came first.

38 games versus 36, is the excuse for stacking the deck; not the reason.

It's accepted because it's better than what pertained for so long.  It's inconsistent with what happens elsewhere in the same structure though, and isn't right. 

It should probably just be a straight shoot out between 11th place and 2nd from the Championship. Maybe a 2 legged match but a one off game at a neutral venue would be excellent drama. 

Would the 10 Championship clubs agree to just 1 team getting a shot at the play offs? I highly doubt it. 

On 11/03/2022 at 12:08, ropy said:

Thoroughly ashamed of myself but I laughed at the two sugars, and I have seen this before.

Nothing to be ashamed of , min !

Been racking my brains trying to think where I’d seen her recently.....I’ve just realised that she was in Peep Show.

Wid, obviously.

Edited by A96

On 24/02/2022 at 22:04, Thenorthernlight said:

His assertion that “Scottish football has been so good this season” is palpable nonsense.

It shows just how clueless he is.

It’s been shite.

I've seen some very entertaining Scottish games on TV this season, leaving aside the Dons v Dundee,

Granted I haven't been at Pittodrie every other fortnight.

They were talking about The Caley after the game yesterday and how all the fans want Dodds sacked. On comes everyone’s favourite chip shop proprietor who claims that ‘fans don’t analysis the performances all they see is the result and another defeat and want managers sacked’ 

Fucking daft old gimp.

I was in the car during the first half of Dundee St Mirren during the week so stuck BBC Scotland on to keep up with the game. Willie Miller was one of the pundits but I didn’t catch who else was on.

One of them said something along the lines of ‘I heard that Paul McMullans goal last weekend was his FIRST EVER for Dundee in the Premiership, I find that very hard to believe. I don’t know if that’s true or not’. Someone else then chimed in to say he had scored in the League Cup earlier this season, and that he had maybe scored for Dundee United in the Premiership, even though Dundee United played in the Championship when he was there. It was like listening to some old guys in the pub trying to act like they have a clue what they are talking about. 

29 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

They were talking about The Caley after the game yesterday and how all the fans want Dodds sacked. On comes everyone’s favourite chip shop proprietor who claims that ‘fans don’t analysis the performances all they see is the result and another defeat and want managers sacked’ 

Fucking daft old gimp.

Aye that’s pish. It’s a bit of a sportsound favourite to lump ‘the fans’ in as one, irrational and I’ll informed group who are driven on sheer emotion.