Sportsound Watch

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Imagine thinking that "better than Pat Bonner, Chick Young and Allan Preston" was any form of praise.

Did i say that meant he was great? My point was the hardest thing to do on Sportsound is find a good pundit and that Miller is far from worst. 

You in a bad mood because you are having to adjust to the fact that you have to pretend that you and almost the whole Killie support didnt hate Mcinnes and call him shite for years? 

The Mcinnes love in was to be expected, 

The way the bummed him up he is too good for Killie, how dare they appoint a manager who bottles it against the big sides, 

He is and always has been a media darling, I would love to see his ego severely deflated by missing out on promotion

On 08/01/2022 at 23:34, afc_blockhead said:

Miller is far from worst. 

That’s mental. 

I’d have him and Bonner out in a league of their own as the worst. 
Just because he can prattle on about Aberdeen for a bit doesn’t make him a good pundit. 

It's pointless discussing Willie Miller with the Aberdeen da's, I suspect most of them are 50+ and still have wee moustaches trying to look like him.

On 08/01/2022 at 21:19, craigkillie said:

Imagine thinking that "better than Pat Bonner, Chick Young and Allan Preston" was any form of praise.

The worst thing about it is I don’t he is. At least Bonner and Young seem happy to be at a Scottish football game (even though the former clearly does no research before hand)and will at least paint a decent picture of Scottish football at times. Preston and Miller are comfortably the worse .

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, The Master said:

Hearts know to be wary of Junior opposition because of Brora last season according to Allan Preston. 

I’m not sure where to begin with that. 

aside from not understanding Scottish football structures, did anyone mention any of the Talbot players having to put a "shift" in last week and maybe even some on the morning of the game? No player for an amateur or junior team every works in an office according to pundits - they all work down mines.... 

Edited by KingRocketman II
ETA - when playing against a full-time team

BBC Scotland have been doing a Saturday morning breakfast show for a few months now.

Guess what they talk about the vast majority of the time...

Anyway, these p***ks have a nerve to claim that they 'cover Scottish football'. They don't. They cover select teams from the Premiership (two above all others) and then tell you the score of other games in the country. Soccer Saturday 'cover Scottish football' as much as BBC Scotland do.

On 10/01/2022 at 15:31, gannonball said:

The worst thing about it is I don’t he is. At least Bonner and Young seem happy to be at a Scottish football game (even though the former clearly does no research before hand)and will at least paint a decent picture of Scottish football at times. Preston and Miller are comfortably the worse .

Nonsense.

As a pundit, Bonner is so bad that he transcends punditry and even broadcasting.

It's bad enough for him to be considered among the worst people in all of human history.

12 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

BBC Scotland have been doing a Saturday morning breakfast show for a few months now.

Guess what they talk about the vast majority of the time...

Anyway, these p***ks have a nerve to claim that they 'cover Scottish football'. They don't. They cover select teams from the Premiership (two above all others) and then tell you the score of other games in the country. Soccer Saturday 'cover Scottish football' as much as BBC Scotland do.

I understand where you're coming from, but I don't think it's fair to say they only cover the Premiership.

The Championship gets a reasonable amount of discussion time and I think a decent number of live games (I had Raith v Arbroath on last week). I don't support a Championship side (any more) but I feel that Sportsound does a decent job in keeping me as informed about it as I would like to be. I'd be keen for more coverage of the third and fourth tier, but realistically I'm probably unusual in that respect.

How much time do Five Live give the English lower leagues?

There are things about Sportsound that grate, but I don't think its balance of coverage is really one of them. I think that part is decent.

Edited by VincentGuerin

41 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Nonsense.

As a pundit, Bonner is so bad that he transcends punditry and even broadcasting.

It's bad enough for him to be considered among the worst people in all of human history.

Get away, I think he's lovely. A genuine big guy you could spend hours with listening to his stories in the pub.

Unfortunately, someone has thought those qualities translate to competent broadcasting, or that listeners wouldn't bother about the difference.

To be fair, there's probably a substantial amount of listeners don't care, asking as there is a balance in pro Rangers and Celtic contributors.

1 hour ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Get away, I think he's lovely. A genuine big guy you could spend hours with listening to his stories in the pub.

Unfortunately, someone has thought those qualities translate to competent broadcasting, or that listeners wouldn't bother about the difference.

To be fair, there's probably a substantial amount of listeners don't care, asking as there is a balance in pro Rangers and Celtic contributors.

It is akin to the BBC and ITV WC coverage when a bunch of privileged ex footballers have a wee laugh at not being able or bothered to provide an iota of analysis on say a North Macedonia or a Venezuela outside of attempting to name check anyone connected to those countries that has a tenuous link to the English Premiership. 

The difference being Packie Bonner pitches most weeks knowing next to nothing about any of the (will invariably be Celtic's) opposition. Played in the Scottish league for years, clearly still retains an interest in Celtic, is employed and paid to provide an analysis, and after all this time his knowledge outwith Celtic probably extends to being able to name most (not all) the managers and a couple of Scottish Premiership goalies. 

"the big Livingston lad up front, cuts in from the left.....

"the Hibs central midfielder, not sure if it is Allan [who is on the bench] or one of their new signings..."

etc etc

But as you point out, and this is in line with one of my friend's thinking, too many ex Rangers pundits there and its good that Bonner is employed to give some "balance". 

3 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

How much time do Five Live give the English lower leagues?

They have a weekly round up programme and will have reporters at the big games, and have live commentary on some games. They also have the BBC Local Radio stations that cover their areas lower league games in some detail which we don't really have. The annoying thing is when they have a "lower league special" sportsound during the week which has ex Rangers or ex Celtic players on who then spend most of their time talking about them, or when they don't play until the Sunday but they still talk about them, or when there are only 1 or 2 games in the Premiership with a full card below and they barely even mention the games in the lower leagues let alone have reporters at then or conduct interviews etc.

23 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

They have a weekly round up programme and will have reporters at the big games, and have live commentary on some games. 

talkSport have exclusive national coverage of the EFL. Five Live have NO EFL commentaries and haven't for several years.

56 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

They have a weekly round up programme and will have reporters at the big games, and have live commentary on some games. They also have the BBC Local Radio stations that cover their areas lower league games in some detail which we don't really have. The annoying thing is when they have a "lower league special" sportsound during the week which has ex Rangers or ex Celtic players on who then spend most of their time talking about them, or when they don't play until the Sunday but they still talk about them, or when there are only 1 or 2 games in the Premiership with a full card below and they barely even mention the games in the lower leagues let alone have reporters at then or conduct interviews etc.

That's a budget and audience issue. The lower leagues down here have plenty of big clubs that justify that level of coverage. And Sportsound has people at big lower league games too.

It would arguably be a public dis-service to not have good coverage of numerous leagues containing clubs with five-figure supports and a good profile etc.

But what would the audience and budget justification be for the same level of coverage for clubs in Scotland's lower levels? Scotland's lower tiers don't have the Sheffield clubs, or Forest, or Derby, or Sunderland etc.

Those of us who use this site and others like it are probably not representative of the public in general. I'd enjoy say one night a week in-depth on the lower leagues in Scotland. But in the wider audience what is the market for that and how do they justify it? At the moment they have reporters at lower league games with occasional live ones (I listened to Raith v Arbroath last wek), they discuss big stories in the lower leagues as they come up, and from time to time they go a bit deeper into what is a pretty niche interest.

I think the job they do overall with what they have isn't as bad as some make out.

Edited by VincentGuerin