Sportsound Watch

5 minutes ago, kennie makevin said:

When will the BBC get it into their heads that ex-professional footballers have no business as reporters. 

Disagree with this as they do have first hand experience in what they are reporting on . But Willie Miller has all  the charisma  of a tin of corned beef and you can tell he has little interest in what he is reporting. Lack of research is annoying as well as he clearly thinks his standing in the game is enough to carry him. I don't mind the likes of Derek Ferguson or Rory Loy as you can tell they are happy to be there and it paints a better picture of our game. 

Got to disagree, he gets on my tits almost instantly any time I hear him speak.
Comes across as a right good guy, but ive yet to hear him add anything to a football discussion other than the usual clichés or just being stubbornly positive about every player and manager.
So he's not changed then?

23 hours ago, gannonball said:

Disagree with this as they do have first hand experience in what they are reporting on . But Willie Miller has all  the charisma  of a tin of corned beef and you can tell he has little interest in what he is reporting. Lack of research is annoying as well as he clearly thinks his standing in the game is enough to carry him. I don't mind the likes of Derek Ferguson or Rory Loy as you can tell they are happy to be there and it paints a better picture of our game. 

Pundits yep, analysts ok, providing occasional interjections informed by experience as player absolutely. As reporters, describing what is or has gone on in the game, the teams, the scorers, the action.....No, no and as Frankie Howard would confirm, thrice no !!! They can't do it, they are not reporters, they don't have the required skill set. 

Edited by kennie makevin
Typo

On 03/01/2022 at 13:24, gannonball said:

Correct.

On 03/01/2022 at 13:11, kennie makevin said:

When will the BBC get it into their heads that ex-professional footballers have no business as reporters. 

22 hours ago, kennie makevin said:

Pundits yep, analysts ok, providing occasional interjections informed by experience as player absolutely. As reporters, describing what is or has gone on in the game, the teams, the scorers, the action.....No, no and as Frankie Howard would confirm, thrice no !!! They can't do it, they are not reporters, they don't have the required skill set. 

Agreed. Ex-pros have their place but murdering the English language, promoting cheating, not knowing the laws of the game they're spouting and failing to criticise fellow pros isn't one of them. 

9 hours ago, craigkillie said:

He has no standing for anyone under the age of about 35.

That's just total ignorance from the under35's then. Miller may be disliked as a pundit but his playing history makes him one of Scotland's greats. The 'before my time' mantra is no excuse. 

23 hours ago, kennie makevin said:

I would imagine they undergo training just like anybody else doing that job. But essentially It’s the sort of job you are a natural at or not in terms of broadcasting it. Willie Miller most certainly is the latter.

Edited by gannonball

1 hour ago, gannonball said:

I would imagine they undergo training just like anybody else doing that job. But essentially It’s the sort of job you are a natural at or not in terms of broadcasting it. Willie Miller most certainly is the latter.

I doubt training extends to much for ex-pros who are there for their names and to tick boxes.

"Haud that button doon when her talkin'"

17 hours ago, craigkillie said:

He has no standing for anyone under the age of about 35.

That’s as likely as saying that Denis Law, Kenny Dalglish and Jim Baxter have no standing for anyone under the age of about 35. If you’re a football fan, they all have standing.

44 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

That’s as likely as saying that Denis Law, Kenny Dalglish and Jim Baxter have no standing for anyone under the age of about 35. If you’re a football fan, they all have standing.

Absolutely this. Just like Ringo Starr has no standing in the world of popular music, particularly with the under 35s. And like Oor Wullie, he'd be pretty inept and inarticulate if given a punditry role in a live music show. (Plenty other examples in music from any decade or style - choose yer own).

These guys original roles, achievements and their talents demonstrated are iconic in their own fields, but keep them away from microphones. Please.

16 minutes ago, Meeniedee said:

one of my pet hates when watching football on the telly is when the commentator says "so and so just about got there" when just keeping a ball in play...when in fact so and so did indeed get there.

I think I posted similar on the petty things thread several months ago.  Don't think you hear Scottish commentators say it to be fair but loads of the English ones......"the keeper just about kept it out"....eh, he did keep it oot

one of my pet hates when watching football on the telly is when the commentator says "so and so just about got there" when just keeping a ball in play...when in fact so and so did indeed get there.

Packie Bonner does this with “almost”. It infuriates me.

Once you notice him say it once, you realise he says it in almost every sentence.

2 hours ago, kingjoey said:

I don’t dismiss the achievements they’ve had, but that doesn’t necessarily mean I value his opinion on the modern game

2 hours ago, kingjoey said:

None of those three are regular pundits on Scottish football either.

On 05/01/2022 at 19:09, kingjoey said:

Jim Baxter has no standing among people who didn't see him play, in a completely and utterly irrelevant era of football anyway.

Do you seriously think that people who grew up in the age of Messi and Ronaldo are impressed by someone with 30-odd Scotland caps and a one in ten goalscoring record?