Sportsound Watch

Derek Ferguson was a really good player for Hearts. Mind boggling that anyone would find him easy listening on the radio however. Seems a nice guy too, just totally unsuited to talking for a living. Takes all sorts, I suppose.

3 hours ago, Leith Green said:

I almost feel dirty sending you that greenie, but I cant argue with any of that.

Preston, as it happens, grew up in Leith as a Rangers fan - part of me, perhaps cynically, suspects that it helps his business to be "a hearts fan" (although I dont know how many hearts players are on his books).

Didnt know that about Preston. Interesting.

Can I just shock you? I don't actually mind Derek Ferguson. Yes he comes across a bit dim, but at least he actually has a fairly decent idea what he's talking about and has a decent knowledge of the teams and the players he's paid to talk about, especially in the Championship.

I concur with previous posts. Alan Preston is an absolute p***k and I really don't know what he brings to the show.

Also, I enjoy Michael Stewart. I don't always agree with him, but he's a good listen.

I find Ferguson ok too. He's very enthusiastic. Give me that with his stumbling over words and "layman" speak any day over the likes of Willie Miller who sounds like he's being forced to watch games at gunpoint and would rather be sticking pins in his eyes.

This comes up fairly regularly on here and I'm also in the pro-Derek Ferguson camp just down to his enthusiasm. His coverage of the Motherwell v Hibs 6-6 game a while ago was tremendous and brightened up my dad's stay in hospital at the time. He's also acknowledged he didn't stick in at school and isn't the most eloquent but he's still very good at describing the action.

On 15/11/2021 at 19:11, Frank Grimes said:

Am I alone in thinking Leanne Crichton is the best pundit on Sportsound?

I think she’s quality 

Another vote for Leanne as top pundit here, with an honourable mention for Richard Gordon's hosting.

To be honest I don't mind most of them apart from Bonner, he's genuinely terrible but the rest all bring something. 

I've a real problem with people just shouting 'GOAL'. I don't usually tune in from 2pm and it feels like if you don't do that, then you've not got a chance to get an idea of who is covering what game. I'd much prefer if they could include the team name instead of waiting ages. Sometimes they don't even name the team and just name the player which is extra frustrating if the name is something like 'Smith' and could be a player from about 12 teams.

5 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

I've a real problem with people just shouting 'GOAL'. I don't usually tune in from 2pm and it feels like if you don't do that, then you've not got a chance to get an idea of who is covering what game. I'd much prefer if they could include the team name instead of waiting ages. Sometimes they don't even name the team and just name the player which is extra frustrating if the name is something like 'Smith' and could be a player from about 12 teams.

‘Goal for the visitors’. Always a good shout, reduces the the guesswork by 50%.

6 hours ago, Chuck Blazer said:

Another vote for Leanne as top pundit here, with an honourable mention for Richard Gordon's hosting.

To be honest I don't mind most of them apart from Bonner, he's genuinely terrible but the rest all bring something. 

I'm surprised we've never had any stories about someone's mate pumping her,  i seem to recall reading about that one from sportsound called Jane, and being compared to a sack of potatoes.

I'm surprised we've never had any stories about someone's mate pumping her,  i seem to recall reading about that one from sportsound called Jane, and being compared to a sack of potatoes.
34e899a4614276fd944570e8113d1eca.jpg

On 17/11/2021 at 10:15, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

On Open all mics, Miller has a habit of screaming "Goooooooal". Then  talking for 2 full minutes without offering any detail as to who has actually scored.

When that happens it's fairly safe to assume it's Aberdeen.