Sportsound Watch

On 24/10/2021 at 12:50, The Master said:

A nice balanced line-up for today’s commentary I see. 

Cringed a bit listening to it. Sounded like a level below rangers TV commentary. Nothing outwardly offensive but it's easy to read between the lines.

Neil McCann at one point described himself as being happy with one of the goals "but not because I'm an ex Rangers player". Tying himself in knots when he just doesn't have to describe himself as happy that Rangers scored in the first place.

On 23/10/2021 at 17:06, Mark Connolly said:

He screamed that it was over, then said there was a red card, then had to get Michael Stewart, who I presume was watching on the telly, to actually explain what was happening.

I was at the match and was following the ball. When the game stopped, I had no idea what had happened either and thought initially that the game had finished as well.

On 24/10/2021 at 12:45, resk said:

There was a classic a couple of weeks ago.  United scored their first goal at Easter Road and I had tuned in ten minutes before so I hadn't figured out who was reporting from which match.  Paraphrasing a bit but it was approximately:

Guy at the ground - "Goal!  And it's the away side who open the scoring here.  Really nice play and they cut the defence apart.  It was a really easy finish for .... oh, I'm not sure actually who scored the goal..."

Presenter - "Okay, we'll have a look here in the studio so we can find out who scored"

Guy at the ground - "Thanks Kenny.  Yes it was a really good goal and they've deserved it because they have dominated this game.  There's a really good away support here today and they are delighted.  And you can sense the frustration from the home fans now."

Approximately two minutes after the goal being announced, I still had no idea which game it was in, which team had scored, and which player.  It's like they expect everyone listening to 1) listen for the entirety of the broadcast, 2) recognise all voices of all their reporters, 3) know who "Fergie" or "Biscuits" is and who is likely to be at a game in Lanarkshire / Edinburgh or wherever and 4) in some cases figure out from the background noise which ground the person is at.  

They should announce which team scored, against which team and what the scoreline is.  Then expand on it with details of the play and who scored and how the half time pie was or whatever.  

I actually really like listening to OAM and the format is a solid idea, but stuff like this really annoys sometimes.  

I remember this as well, and posted about it on here at the time.

On 24/10/2021 at 11:03, Gianfranco said:

Eilidh Davies doesn’t tell you any details about goals and some of the others only tell you about goals.

Is she the one that usually does the Ross County games? Her passion for the game is commendable. 

Not long after I tuned in, Alan Preston says there's been a goal at Livingston - mentions a name but I don't know who they play for, then runs out of time before someone else comes in and does it properly by saying "goal for Ross County". Eventually realised it was a Livi goal when they went back to him for the United equaliser.

Richard Gordon called out “idiots in the Aberdeen support” following the minute’s silence at Ibrox last night.

It has since been confirmed by supporters of both clubs that the silence was well observed all over the ground and the only audible noise was a few Dons fans just arriving into the ground - and shutting up as soon as they realised the silence was underway.

Richard Gordon is clearly a good dandy, who needs to remain professional in calling out poor behaviour regardless of who it is. However, by all accounts he got it wrong here and hopefully he can acknowledge that.