Sportsound Watch

8 minutes ago, Austin McCann said:

🙃 I think you've got used to the Aberdeen love in that Sportsound has become. An Aberdeen fan complainig about the coverage is quite funny though, keep it up.👍

No idea what you're on about? I'm complaining about them going from talking about a goal to listening to Preston talk about a half chance because he screams really loud.

13 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

Listened to open all mics for the first time in years last week. 'Biscuits' was intolerable. Screaming over everyone to tell us what's happening at Ross County v Hearts whilst someone is describing a goal that's just happened in their game. The coverage wouldn't go back to the other game after either.

Arrogant arsehole.

I try not to listen, but on the odd occasion I have no choice its still the same shite.

If they are not spending entire shows dissecting what Rangers / Celtic are doing and ignoring the rest, we have buffoons like Pat Bonner pre match and the horror of people like Preston on OAM screaming like a wee lassie.

I appreciate we dont have the money of the English broadcasters, but we should be able to do better.

Needs a refresh from the top down, a complete change of editorial policy and personnel imo

25 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

I try not to listen, but on the odd occasion I have no choice its still the same shite.

If they are not spending entire shows dissecting what Rangers / Celtic are doing and ignoring the rest, we have buffoons like Pat Bonner pre match and the horror of people like Preston on OAM screaming like a wee lassie.

I appreciate we dont have the money of the English broadcasters, but we should be able to do better.

Needs a refresh from the top down, a complete change of editorial policy and personnel imo

Yeah agreed.

Unfortunately Richard Gordon has been dragged down to their level too. I used to think he was a brilliant presenter but he's part of the boys club as well.

13 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

Listened to open all mics for the first time in years last week. 'Biscuits' was intolerable. Screaming over everyone to tell us what's happening at Ross County v Hearts whilst someone is describing a goal that's just happened in their game. The coverage wouldn't go back to the other game after either.

Arrogant arsehole.

CHANCE!!!

BRULLYINT!!!

PRICK!!!

On 16/09/2021 at 21:20, Boghead ranter said:

Mark Hately just said "if you can batter the opposition goalie in the first minute, you've a very good chance of winning the title deciding match" keep a clean sheet, you've got a very good chance of not losing the game".

He's got a point

12 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Yeah agreed.

Unfortunately Richard Gordon has been dragged down to their level too. I used to think he was a brilliant presenter but he's part of the boys club as well.

Sadly, yes - when he first arrived it was good, a new lead who was a fan of a non-of club.

Unfortunately, he has no competition and has settled into that middle aged middle management malaise where fresh ideas go to die.

Perhaps not his fault, but whoever commissions and editorialises these programmes needs emptied.

Haven't watched Soccer Saturday in a long time but saw BT Score yesterday for first time in ages and it's the exact same. Think all these goals show have the excitable bellend pundit who wants their voice to be heard no matter what. Robbie Savage was constantly screaming over the quieter pundits like Alan Hutton and Anton Ferdinand. Sutton was a bit like that too but a little less ignorant about the way he did it.

Edited by Rodhull

On 22/09/2021 at 19:50, Junior_Arab said:

This is such a problem for me. There’s been a lot of talk in here about whether our media should be honest about the quality of our “product” or whether they should be talking it up whenever possible. The fact that they talk it down whilst the English leagues are constantly bamming themselves up is surely a factor in kids following English teams. At first they would say they supported Hearts AND Chelsea, but increasingly it’s becoming a case of exclusively Chelsea, Man City, Liverpool or whoever. A lot of kids even seemed to be cheering on England during the Euros which would have been unthinkable in my day. 

But the same thing exists on another level with the Old Firm in Scotland. The media will tell you they’re merely giving the majority of punters what they want with their heavily OF-centric coverage, but at some point it will / already has become a self fulfilling prophecy.If you constantly and almost explicitly bang out the message that the Old Firm are the only teams that matter in Scottish football it’s little wonder that kids growing up in Dundee, Edinburgh, Perth, Inverness decide to follow one of the cheeks. Particularly when the commentators and especially the “expert” analysts (I’m looking at you here, Packie) can’t even tell you the name of half the opposition players. Could you ever imagine 5Live (which I really don’t rate in terms of quality) repeatedly referring to “the number 7 for Burnley” because they didn’t know his name? 

"unthinkable"? It would have been a hanging offence in my day.

Edited by Jacksgranda
Sleppnig

4 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

Haven't watched Soccer Saturday in a long time but saw BT Score yesterday for first time in ages and it's the exact same. Think all these goals show have the excitable bellend pundit who wants their voice to be heard no matter what. Robbie Savage was constantly screaming over the quieter pundits like Alan Hutton and Anton Ferdinand. Sutton was a bit like that too but a little less ignorant about the way he did it.

I dont disagree, both of those programmes are pish and clearly cater for the "afternoon in the pub" football fan.

However in England they have a far superior BBC local radio coverage imo

Not that I am a fan of Off the Ball, but BBC Scotland ending their football coverage at 6 now is a bit of a pain. Too many drives home haven't ended by that time.

I also don't get why they have episodes of Off the Ball on at the same time as live games.

47 minutes ago, David W said:

Not that I am a fan of Off the Ball, but BBC Scotland ending their football coverage at 6 now is a bit of a pain. Too many drives home haven't ended by that time.

I also don't get why they have episodes of Off the Ball on at the same time as live games.

Tam has to be finished by early evening so he can do an after dinner gig at an orange/masonic lodge somewhere.

Because ex-players, or more specifically, those that have gone on to become coaches or managers, should have more tactical insight than journalists. However, they need to be able string a sentence together and be aware what is required of them reporting on a game. An interest in more than one team would also be good.

6 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Pity the host was the biggest dick in football but they should bring back something like 'Your Call'.

The highlight of that programme for me was the staunch Airdrie supporting host (aka the biggest dick in football © @Ludo*1declaring on air that after his beloved club went down the tubes and the licence was transferred to another company that he couldn't/wouldn't support the newbies as "his club was dead". He then left the BBC to explain to all and sundry that his "big club" - in remarkably similar circumstances - was not dead at all. Yer dead right, Ludo, despite the competition for that title.