Sportsound Watch

Celticsound again this evening. 25 mins in and we’ve had relentless discussion on Celtic with a forensic analysis on their performance yesterday, their transfer dealings, James McCarthy, Livi’s pitch and even Ryan Christie’s move to Bournemouth. Ricky Foster just described Scott Brown as ‘maybe the most decorated Scottish player, ever’.

Woeful, but at least they’re consistent. 

7 minutes ago, Hammer Jag said:

Celticsound again this evening. 25 mins in and we’ve had relentless discussion on Celtic with a forensic analysis on their performance yesterday, their transfer dealings, James McCarthy, Livi’s pitch and even Ryan Christie’s move to Bournemouth. Ricky Foster just described Scott Brown as ‘maybe the most decorated Scottish player, ever’.

Not a fan of his tattoos, tbh.

I only listen after either half of the ugly sisters lose for the tears and snotters, but this show is absolute garbage.

Listening to guys like Bonner and Foster makes my ears bleed. I burst out laughing when Foster said something along the lines of ‘why would you want to leave Celtic when there are people in Las Vegas wearing Celtic tops’?

It really is piss poor quality.

They were talking guff but on this occasion I don't have a great problem with them prattling on about Celtic. They had already brought live coverage of the Dundee Derby, they only had updates from Ibrox (which is why I was listening) and were covering the Celtic game. They could have talked about Livi a bit more obviously.

1 minute ago, Archie McSquackle said:

They were talking guff but on this occasion I don't have a great problem with them prattling on about Celtic. They had already brought live coverage of the Dundee Derby, they only had updates from Ibrox (which is why I was listening) and were covering the Celtic game. They could have talked about Livi a bit more obviously.

They don't know anything about them to talk about.

Just now, TheScarf said:

They don't know anything about them to talk about.

David Martindale has done a fantastic job there. It's always a tough place to go. The pitch is a real leveller. Had one or two financial problems in the past but punching above their weight now. Jim fecking Leishman.

That about covers it I think.

My favourite last night was Darryl broadfoot saying mark warburton had no issue with not having a plan B, he just didn’t have the players to topple Celtic (he couldn’t topple Aberdeen). 

Then ten minutes later re Stephen glass saying ‘why try something different tactically, just win games’. 

I tuned in for the first time in ages on Saturday. The woman on the panel said something along the lines of the Scottish men's game being miles behind the English women's game because "we still see pies and Bovril up here" and that this was at odds with the game south of the border where they flog pizzas and salads and all sorts to punters.

1 hour ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

I tuned in for the first time in ages on Saturday. The woman on the panel said something along the lines of the Scottish men's game being miles behind the English women's game because "we still see pies and Bovril up here" and that this was at odds with the game south of the border where they flog pizzas and salads and all sorts to punters.

Was there no talk of pakora?

There was a trail for the midweek league cup fixtures today -

Wednesday - live coverage of Rangers v Livi, updates on Dundee v Saintees

Thursday - Live coverage of Celtic v Raith, updates on Arabs v Hibs

See the pattern? 😂

...........and they wonder why a lot of us simply dont tune in any more?

Actually, they probably dont wonder, they undoubtedly dont give a f**k.

On 21/09/2021 at 18:25, Leith Green said:

There was a trail for the midweek league cup fixtures today -

Wednesday - live coverage of Rangers v Livi, updates on Dundee v Saintees

Thursday - Live coverage of Celtic v Raith, updates on Arabs v Hibs

See the pattern? 😂

...........and they wonder why a lot of us simply dont tune in any more?

Actually, they probably dont wonder, they undoubtedly dont give a f**k.

This is such a problem for me. There’s been a lot of talk in here about whether our media should be honest about the quality of our “product” or whether they should be talking it up whenever possible. The fact that they talk it down whilst the English leagues are constantly bamming themselves up is surely a factor in kids following English teams. At first they would say they supported Hearts AND Chelsea, but increasingly it’s becoming a case of exclusively Chelsea, Man City, Liverpool or whoever. A lot of kids even seemed to be cheering on England during the Euros which would have been unthinkable in my day. 

But the same thing exists on another level with the Old Firm in Scotland. The media will tell you they’re merely giving the majority of punters what they want with their heavily OF-centric coverage, but at some point it will / already has become a self fulfilling prophecy.If you constantly and almost explicitly bang out the message that the Old Firm are the only teams that matter in Scottish football it’s little wonder that kids growing up in Dundee, Edinburgh, Perth, Inverness decide to follow one of the cheeks. Particularly when the commentators and especially the “expert” analysts (I’m looking at you here, Packie) can’t even tell you the name of half the opposition players. Could you ever imagine 5Live (which I really don’t rate in terms of quality) repeatedly referring to “the number 7 for Burnley” because they didn’t know his name? 

Edited by Junior_Arab

I reluctantly accept Rangers and Celtic will be covered more.

I object that its so fucking banal because they have to say something.

20 minutes on the concept they have made up themselves that Rangers struggle with crowds and the entirely groundbreaking new point that there's more pressure on the Old Firm. 

Are pundits on sportsound really saying there should be more focus on teams outside of the old firm when they spend most of their time focusing on those two teams and the rest on a very small handful of teams in the top league whilst ignoring everyone else?
Sportsound itself has ignored commentating on bigger better games for Celtic or Rangers.

Willie Miller calling for change is a laugh.

On 22/09/2021 at 19:50, Junior_Arab said:

But the same thing exists on another level with the Old Firm in Scotland. The media will tell you they’re merely giving the majority of punters what they want with their heavily OF-centric coverage, but at some point it will / already has become a self fulfilling prophecy.If you constantly and almost explicitly bang out the message that the Old Firm are the only teams that matter in Scottish football it’s little wonder that kids growing up in Dundee, Edinburgh, Perth, Inverness decide to follow one of the cheeks. Particularly when the commentators and especially the “expert” analysts (I’m looking at you here, Packie) can’t even tell you the name of half the opposition players. Could you ever imagine 5Live (which I really don’t rate in terms of quality) repeatedly referring to “the number 7 for Burnley” because they didn’t know his name? 

Yeah that might wash with other broadcasters but the BBC is meant to be a public service broadcast.

They really should be making an effort to give an equal, balanced coverage to Scottish football as a whole IMO 

Listened to open all mics for the first time in years last week. 'Biscuits' was intolerable. Screaming over everyone to tell us what's happening at Ross County v Hearts whilst someone is describing a goal that's just happened in their game. The coverage wouldn't go back to the other game after either.

Arrogant arsehole.

44 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Listened to open all mics for the first time in years last week. 'Biscuits' was intolerable. Screaming over everyone to tell us what's happening at Ross County v Hearts whilst someone is describing a goal that's just happened in their game. The coverage wouldn't go back to the other game after either.

Arrogant arsehole.

🙃 I think you've got used to the Aberdeen love in that Sportsound has become. An Aberdeen fan complainig about the coverage is quite funny though, keep it up.👍