Sportsound Watch

I'm a regular listener to BBC Scotland, especially travelling to and from a game. I'm normally an easy going bloke but last Saturday's post match listening was really hard to bare.

My mate and I are East coast based Motherwell season holders. We were both naturally in the feel good zone after beating Aberdeen. Like most fans travelling home from watching a game, we were keen to hear our manager's comments on the game, and also how other teams fared. This is what we assume Sportsound Saturday evening to be about.

To our frustration, all Sportsound participants decided to devote the entire discussion between 5 and 5:30 to the management structure at Celtic. All we heard for 30 minutes was various views on the role of Chief Executive and Director of Football at Parkhead.
To add to our boredom, when Richard Gordon finally moved the discussion away to another game, it was to interview Leigh Griffiths, because it was assumed we all needed to know how his loan away from Celtic was going at Dundee.

I had actually dropped my pal off at Livingston, and was on the outskirts of Edinburgh, before I finally heard a 2 minute interview with Graeme Alexander. I heard nothing from the Aberdeen perspective.

As a lifelong supporter of a small, provisional club, I fully acknowledge Rangers and Celtic are by far the biggest clubs with the largest support following. I occasionally listen to midweek Sportsound and believe this to be an appropriate time to host lengthy discussions about the trials of supporting one of the Old Firm. However, on behalf of every Scottish football fan, travelling home last Saturday - I dare say including some Celtic fans - can the Sportsound production team remind themselves what the late Saturday programme is all about?

That's off my chest now.

1 minute ago, gullane said:
I'm a regular listener to BBC Scotland, especially travelling to and from a game. I'm normally an easy going bloke but last Saturday's post match listening was really hard to bare.

My mate and I are East coast based Motherwell season holders. We were both naturally in the feel good zone after beating Aberdeen. Like most fans travelling home from watching a game, we were keen to hear our manager's comments on the game, and also how other teams fared. This is what we assume Sportsound Saturday evening to be about.

To our frustration, all Sportsound participants decided to devote the entire discussion between 5 and 5:30 to the management structure at Celtic. All we heard for 30 minutes was various views on the role of Chief Executive and Director of Football at Parkhead.
To add to our boredom, when Richard Gordon finally moved the discussion away to another game, it was to interview Leigh Griffiths, because it was assumed we all needed to know how his loan away from Celtic was going at Dundee.

I had actually dropped my pal off at Livingston, and was on the outskirts of Edinburgh, before I finally heard a 2 minute interview with Graeme Alexander. I heard nothing from the Aberdeen perspective.

As a lifelong supporter of a small, provisional club, 

Big team found

35 minutes ago, gullane said:

As a lifelong supporter of a small, provisional club, I fully acknowledge Rangers and Celtic are by far the biggest clubs with the largest support following. I occasionally listen to midweek Sportsound and believe this to be an appropriate time to host lengthy discussions about the trials of supporting one of the Old Firm. However, on behalf of every Scottish football fan, travelling home last Saturday - I dare say including some Celtic fans - can the Sportsound production team remind themselves what the late Saturday programme is all about?

That's off my chest now.

Totally agreed. I was driving home from Kilmarnock and was frustrated that I couldn’t hear interviews and reaction from around the grounds until after the Celtic chat.

The Celtic discussion would have been best kept for a midweek Sportsound 

6 minutes ago, standman said:

Totally agreed. I was driving home from Kilmarnock and was frustrated that I couldn’t hear interviews and reaction from around the grounds until after the Celtic chat.

The Celtic discussion would have been best kept for a midweek Sportsound 

It had no place anywhere, Celtic have no CEO or DoF, fair enough they should fill those posts, now what happened at Fir Park today?

Kenny MacIntyre attempting to trot out the line about its impossible to police the sectarian singing in scottish football due to the volume of numbers.

It's that mentality that allows the problem to fester. If it means individual arrests or sections being closed to sort the problem, then so be it. As soon as normal fans are impacted by the knuckle daggers, they will self police.

When media folk shy away from the argument, minimise it or find excuses, this just gives credence to those taking part. 

Edited by Theyellowbox

25 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

Kenny MacIntyre attempting o trot out the line about its impossible to police the sectarian singing in scottish football due to the volume of numbers.

It's that mentality that allows the problem to fester. If it means individual arrests or sections being closed to sort the problem, then so be it. As soon as normal fans are impacted by the knuckle daggers, they will self police.

When media folk shy away from the argument, minimise it or find excuses, this just gives credence to those taking part. 

100% this.

The reality is that too few of those in the game or the media are suitably outraged.  There's a tolerance for sectarianism that is pretty intolerable.

36 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

Kenny MacIntyre attempting o trot out the line about its impossible to police the sectarian singing in scottish football due to the volume of numbers.

They'll just keep trotting out the it's a small minority line, and nothing will change.

50 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

You hear the same excuses when it comes to Orange Walks 

Although last time it was brought up on Sportsound Chick Young tried to blame catholic schools for it 

13 hours ago, Theyellowbox said:

I assume he screamed this point down the microphone, as he does with every subject he puts forward for discussion. An awful broadcaster.

4 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

He actually talked over Tom English to make the point. 

Some clever person should play back some of the discussion made about sectarianism in Scotland and replace the word sectarianism with racism and they will realise how awful it sounds.

One guy shouted at McGinn at Chelsea and they are going mental about it. That is every game up here involving some clubs. 

2 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

Some clever person should play back some of the discussion made about sectarianism in Scotland and replace the word sectarianism with racism and they will realise how awful it sounds.

One guy shouted at McGinn at Chelsea and they are going mental about it. That is every game up here involving some clubs. 

Yes agreed. ‘It’s hard to stop a crowd of people’ would not be tolerated if we were talking about abuse towards a black player. 

On a tangent, Darryl broadfoot amused me with ‘it’s depressing we’re talking about this after the weekend of football we’ve had’ then proceeding to not talk about the weekend football other than a few fleeting references for the rest of the show to fit in more chat about Celtics boardroom structure and the OF in the europa league. 

47 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

every game up here involving some clubs. 

You made some excellent points earlier - but what needs to happen is a concerted media move away from "some fans" or "some clubs" to actually name those fans and clubs.

Decent supporters of Rangers and Celtic dont like to hear that the problem is theirs, but it is.

Officials of those clubs, when asked deflect on to some "societal issue" bullshit - racism is a societal issue and wouldnt be tolerated in grounds.

We heard it in full voice at St Johnstone last week, it isnt a minority.

The clubs and fans have been asked and asked and asked to act - its time to take the option to self police away from them and start to remove points or remove them from cup competitions.

Maybe I am over simplifying, and even this action wouldnt stop the knuckledraggers thinking their vile thoughts - but at least we would stop hearing it every week.

58 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

You made some excellent points earlier - but what needs to happen is a concerted media move away from "some fans" or "some clubs" to actually name those fans and clubs.

Decent supporters of Rangers and Celtic dont like to hear that the problem is theirs, but it is.

Officials of those clubs, when asked deflect on to some "societal issue" bullshit - racism is a societal issue and wouldnt be tolerated in grounds.

The clubs and fans have been asked and asked and asked to act - its time to take the option to self police away from them and start to remove points or remove them from cup competitions.

Maybe I am over simplifying, and even this action wouldnt stop the knuckledraggers thinking their vile thoughts - but at least we would stop hearing it every week.

Won't happen though. The media have an odd reaction to sectarianism and to unruliness in general: ignoring it when thousands are involved, but the behaviour of an individual is big news. Two small examples: as you say, nothing was said in the commentary at the Saints v Rangers game about the sectarian chants, yet the commentator at the Hearts Hibs game apologised for 'bad language' when one fan could be heard swearing during that game. And now one supporter says something sectarian in London and the BBC is all over it in Scotland: 

Screenshot 2021-09-14 at 10.49.08.png

Edited by Mr Heliums

1 hour ago, Leith Green said:

100% agree. The argument (playing devil's advocate) they would use is that it would be a complete whataboutary. How would you decide what songs mean what points deductions and how do you stop a Rangers fan or group of fans signing songs in a celtic end to get them points deducted or vice versa. 

Obviously that is all nonsense and easily sorted. Sit down with the clubs involved. Determine what songs are unacceptable. Agree what responses each should take if heard and agree that if it happens again, the punishment will be x. 2nd offence gets y and so on. When it gets to the stage of points deductions, then the fans will self police. A proper fan would not allow idiots to cause deductions. 

Will never wash as Rangers and Celtic know they cannot control elements of their own support.

Its embarrassing when UEFA fine these clubs, but domestically they get nothing.

Media have a part to play too. Call it out in air. Cut the TV feed. Do whatever to sort it out. From Rangers and Celtics perspective. It will eventually start impacting their sponsorships, maybe not domestically, but globally and then they will have to act.

This isn't just a Celtic and Rangers issue though. It's ingrained in culture (hence why it is tolerated by some). But these 2 clubs in particular are the outlet for some and the catalyst for others to spout the hate.

Proper Rangers and Celtic fans must cringe at a lot of the stuff.

Edited by Theyellowbox