Sportsound Watch

There was a bizarre 5-10 minute conversation before the games last night where they were on about the Rijeka stadium, Craig Levein said something about maybe having went whilst he was on holiday, and the ground maybe having a cliff near it like Braga, but that it maybe didn't and maybe he was getting mixed up with somewhere else and that maybe he hadn't actually been. The presenter and Willie Miller were chipping in with nonsense attempts at banter and kept cutting each other off mid sentence, to the point where there were constant 5 second spells of dead air - at one point Miller actually admitted he was just saying things to fill the space. It was genuinely like they hadn't realised they were on air yet.  

There was a bizarre 5-10 minute conversation before the games last night where they were on about the Rijeka stadium, Craig Levein said something about maybe having went whilst he was on holiday, and the ground maybe having a cliff near it like Braga, but that it maybe didn't and maybe he was getting mixed up with somewhere else and that maybe he hadn't actually been.

The Kantrida stadium the Dons played Rijeka at in 2015 was wedged between a cliff and the Adriatic - great setting.

In 2019 we played them in the same place as Hibs played. Think they intend to move to a new place and this place is a temporary setting.

21 hours ago, Fratelli said:

There was a bizarre 5-10 minute conversation before the games last night where they were on about the Rijeka stadium, Craig Levein said something about maybe having went whilst he was on holiday, and the ground maybe having a cliff near it like Braga, but that it maybe didn't and maybe he was getting mixed up with somewhere else and that maybe he hadn't actually been. The presenter and Willie Miller were chipping in with nonsense attempts at banter and kept cutting each other off mid sentence, to the point where there were constant 5 second spells of dead air - at one point Miller actually admitted he was just saying things to fill the space. It was genuinely like they hadn't realised they were on air yet.  

When you have David Currie as the presenter you are on a loser before the programme starts. After the Aberdeen match on Thursday I got back to my car at about 9.50 and listened until the programme finished at 10.30. Not once did Currie run through the four scores of the Scottish teams that night. I picked up the Celtic and Hibs scores from the interviews of the two managers, but had no idea what the final score at Perth was until I got home. Richard Gordon will read out all of the scores a few times after all the matches are finished and certainly just before the show ends. How does David Currie continue to be used as a sports presenter?

2 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

"It's a free kick to United" — Ayr United vs Dundee United.

By christ that was annoying.  As was Rob McLean's inability to quickly communicate whether a penalty had been scored or not.  I reckon all radio commentators should sign some kind of charter that commits them, in a penalty shootout situation, to just say "goal" or "no goal" straight away for each penalty, before explaining the direction/power of the shot, the keeper's reaction, and all the rest of the added on pish.  

5 hours ago, tarapoa said:

The Kantrida stadium the Dons played Rijeka at in 2015 was wedged between a cliff and the Adriatic - great setting.

In 2019 we played them in the same place as Hibs played. Think they intend to move to a new place and this place is a temporary setting.

The Croatian national team was playing at the Kantrida Stadium last stadium but probably only because no spectators were allowed, it probably isn't finished.

I was there in 2015 and it was the most beautiful setting for a football match that I've visited (and I fancy myself as a bit of a groundhopper). From what I could see from watching the Croatia v Cyprus game last year, I thought that they had ruined it but I can't remember why now.

The Aberdeen fans were packed onto a bus and shuttled straight into the ground before the match but four of us refused the bus and we took a taxi instead. It was worth it because we stood at the top of the cliff looking down at the magnificent stadium.

And below is what I saw...the Aberdeen fans are in the little pen to the left of the floodlight...

3_Rijeka_2015_(4).thumb.jpg.1c537c89aaa0b71bb82b249ee7bdbf82.jpg

1 hour ago, resk said:

By christ that was annoying.  As was Rob McLean's inability to quickly communicate whether a penalty had been scored or not.  I reckon all radio commentators should sign some kind of charter that commits them, in a penalty shootout situation, to just say "goal" or "no goal" straight away for each penalty, before explaining the direction/power of the shot, the keeper's reaction, and all the rest of the added on pish.  

Agreed 100%.  I’ve said for ages that McLean is not only useless as a radio commentator , but actually extremely annoying.  With that penalty shoot out today , I had to try to work out whether each pen had been scored from the crowd noise rather than waiting for McLean to tell us. 

11 hours ago, A96 said:

Agreed 100%.  I’ve said for ages that McLean is not only useless as a radio commentator , but actually extremely annoying.  With that penalty shoot out today , I had to try to work out whether each pen had been scored from the crowd noise rather than waiting for McLean to tell us. 

It was the same with the other shootout, although Chick Young's reaction also gave an indication, before he actually got the words out

2 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

It was the same with the other shootout, although Chick Young's reaction also gave an indication, before he actually got the words out

Listening to "Chick" and "Biscuits" "commentate" on that shootout was brutal.  All they needed to do iwas say 'Scored!' or 'Missed!' right away, then fill in the details.  This didn't happen with any of the pelanties.  Those two are absolute murder every week so when they teamed up, the resulting axis of incompetence was no surprise.

I often also wonder when "Biscuits" is commentating on any given game, which players he's the agent of, and whether that influences what he says.  I would guess it does, given his record of using Sportsound to not-so-subtly push for his pals to get managerial jobs. 

4 hours ago, VictorOnopko said:

Listening to "Chick" and "Biscuits" "commentate" on that shootout was brutal.  All they needed to do iwas say 'Scored!' or 'Missed!' right away, then fill in the details.  This didn't happen with any of the pelanties.  Those two are absolute murder every week so when they teamed up, the resulting axis of incompetence was no surprise.

I often also wonder when "Biscuits" is commentating on any given game, which players he's the agent of, and whether that influences what he says.  I would guess it does, given his record of using Sportsound to not-so-subtly push for his pals to get managerial jobs. 

Dodds and McLean actually spent part of the United game discussing the fact that Dodds was essentially being paid by the BBC to scout ICT's next opponents

4 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Dodds and McLean actually spent part of the United game discussing the fact that Dodds was essentially being paid by the BBC to scout ICT's next opponents

I did think it was a bit odd him being there but he's from that way so was probably down for a few days anyways.

I just hope we played a bounce game yesterday what with having a week off.  Can't be having 14 days between games so early in the season.

Rory Loy is a breath of fresh air. Speaks well and makes good points. 

Unfortunately you still have McFadden getting air time. Asking what kind of advantage seeded teams have when they get drawn in tough away games against Arbroath. A lot of dead air after that comment. 

His analysis is almost always beige and boring as well. It seems like he's trying really hard to not disagree with anyone, which just makes him sound simple.

Friday night 1 league cup game (involving Rangers) to cover = 40 minute podcast.

Saturday night 12 games to cover, including 3 league cup games = 0 podcast. 

Sunday night 4 league cup ties + the draw for the next round to cover = 40 minute podcast. And I’m 30 mins in and all they’ve spoken about so far is Celtic, despite Aberdeen losing to a lower league side and the holders scraping through against a lower league side on penalties. 

f**k. Off. 

8 hours ago, EdinburghLivi said:

Rory Loy is a breath of fresh air. Speaks well and makes good points. 

Unfortunately you still have McFadden getting air time. Asking what kind of advantage seeded teams have when they get drawn in tough away games against Arbroath. A lot of dead air after that comment. 

His analysis is almost always beige and boring as well. It seems like he's trying really hard to not disagree with anyone, which just makes him sound simple.

McFadden is horrendous. 

On 15/08/2021 at 17:06, Mark Connolly said:

A few years ago when he was Jim McIntyre assistant on the radio discussing certain Celtic players should be looking for a move down south 

I remember thinking that fine as an opinion as a pundit. But surely as a paid employee of a rival club you shouldn’t be talking about other players like that when on a national platform