Sportsound Watch

5 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Pretty sure he was also player manager at Blackpool too.

He was for 3/4 of a season when Blackpool were a basket case off the pitch.

I love Derek Ferguson’s enthusiasm in commentary but don’t bother with his wider opinions. I’m just relying on Brechin’s stream for the game. 

Sportsound’s attempts at informed commentary on this have been like listening to a flock of geese discuss astrophysics.

17 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

They barely give a shit about the Premiership. They only care about it in the context of two clubs.

Sorry , you forgot about english and a certain Embra ( copyright ? ) team

2 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

"Barry Ferguson could have gone anywhere for his first managerial job but he chose Kelty."

As much as we all wish Clyde FC didn't exist...

Shocking Sportsound ( lack of ) knowledge

2 hours ago, House Bartender said:

..which has a big impact on Wick Academy's travels. Hope that got a mention.

It doesn't really though does it? Once a season they will have to travel half an hour further than they did when Cove were in the league.

6 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

It doesn't really though does it? Once a season they will have to travel half an hour further than they did when Cove were in the league.

Yeah. I know. That was intended as a simple flippant throwaway intended in the spirit of Sportsound's utter disinterest in lower league football. It's been a long tedious season (St J excepted) - guess it's getting to me.

Guest TheJTS98
On 25/05/2021 at 01:44, TommyDickFingers said:

Almost as bad as Broadfoot.

his wiki😄

1139803435_2021-05-2418_38_52-DarrylBroadfoot-Wikipediaand6morepages-Personal-MicrosoftEdge.thumb.jpg.6fb951eff4b025ad729c7f4cfff426a0.jpg

I listen to Sportsound less and less these days, but when Broadfoot is on now I just need to avoid it. Sadly this seems to be very often.

The obvious problem with Broadfoot is that he's a PR man. For all that that seems to be considered a socially acceptable profession, he's someone whose job is to present the best face of whatever his client tells him to. For that reason, you can't take anything he says at face value whatsoever. If a client tells him to put a smiley face on a system of relegating the 5th placed team in every league and closing down clubs that lose cup semi-finals, that's what he'll do.

I've got a background in linguistics, like many people who work in PR and 'communications'. This means I can't help but notice the linguistic tricks these folk use (and are supposed to use, it's what makes them good at their job), like deliberately vague language or subtly answering a question different to the one that was asked. Or using a slightly higher tone than is normal to give the impression -the impression - of sincerity. He also tends to list his argument points very slowly and use long pauses and check with the listener after every point. This comes across as a desire to be clear, but is also a useful tool for slowing things down and drawing attention to your point while others forget about the thing they mentioned that you don't want to mention, and giving the impression they have agreed with you so you must be  right. He does it all the time and it is absolutely maddening.

It's nothing personal, he's possibly a very nice man. I don't know. But PR people just shouldn't be listened to beyond the least controversial information possible. Get him off my radio. Or if he has to be there, have him questioned by some half-decent journalists instead of the Sportsound crew.

Edited by TheJTS98

3 hours ago, TheJTS98 said:

If a client tells him to put a smiley face on a system of relegating the 5th placed team in every league and closing down clubs that lose cup semi-finals, that's what he'll do

1215780922_Screenshot2021-05-26at10_53_32.thumb.png.f6685205bd00642ab454c41b6c0055ad.png527996417_Screenshot2021-05-26at10_53_49.thumb.png.4732a88bedf403bcb943c41be5d77b6e.png

187002.jpg?b64lines=IEhNTS4gWU9VUiBJREVB

I expect Richard and the boys will delighted to see good fitba man Malky Mackay back in the game when they next get the opportunity to spout their nonsense. 

Also probably seal clapping at the prospect of plastic pitches being removed from are game. Richard was almost giddy with excitement on Monday night when they mentioned it.

6 hours ago, EdinburghLivi said:

I expect Richard and the boys will delighted to see good fitba man Malky Mackay back in the game when they next get the opportunity to spout their nonsense. 

Also probably seal clapping at the prospect of plastic pitches being removed from are game. Richard was almost giddy with excitement on Monday night when they mentioned it.

They will most certainly not get rid of plastic pitches from the game, just the top division. No idea what you have against Richard Gordon who is the one that always holds things together. He says things that not everyone agrees  with all the time, but who does, and who would want someone like that on the show.

10 hours ago, EdinburghLivi said:

Come back Yogi , nothing is forgiven !

Tom English is still seething about Dundee's vote from last season.

I think even Hearts and Partick have moved (mostly) moved on now, but he's still making a complete tit of himself about it all. He stopped short of calling Nelms a liar, but only just.