Sportsound Watch

Hearts fan just owned John Collins.

Collins trying to end the conversation about Hearts saying, 'But Neilson got you to a cup final...' Guy jumps in and says, 'That was Daniel Stendel.'

Collins becomes a stuttering mess and says, 'Yeah, but 90 minutes against Celtic. So close.' :lol:

And that segment is wrapped up there before the Hearts guy can go in for the kill.

4 hours ago, kennie makevin said:

So the verdict is in......By a comfortable majority we demand the end of the atrocity that is Scottish ex-professional footballers as pundits.  "Roughie, Big DJ, Davie Provan, Biscuits, Pat Bonner(dishonorary Scot), Willie Miller, James McFadden, Stephen Pressley, Doddsie, Neil McCann et al, there is the dustbin of history....go jump in it !"

Haud oan a tick here, Willie Miller? Everyone you mention, bar One Willie Miller.

5 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Collins trying to end the conversation about Hearts saying, 'But Neilson got you to a cup final...' Guy jumps in and says, 'That was Daniel Stendel.'

Collins becomes a stuttering mess and says, 'Yeah, but 90 minutes against Celtic. So close.' :lol:

And that segment is wrapped up there before the Hearts guy can go in for the kill.

Collins then pointed out that the new Celtic chief executive was free to leave the SRI due to the conclusion of 'the 7  Nations' .

The rant from Ian McCall last night was interesting. He pretty much slaughtered Steven McLean for his performance on Saturday and the three “awful decisions” he made. This isn’t really part of my point, but of the three “awful decisions”, McCall didn’t, and hasn’t, seen one of them, the second he described as a “90%” penalty, so not 100% then. Anyway, we’ve had this argument about referees countless times, almost, if not always, from managers or ex-managers. One thing that is never discussed, is the role of the modern day player in all of this. Players make the job of the referee these days so difficult, because they go out to cheat and cheat and cheat again as often as possible to gain an unfair advantage for their team. If managers had a go at their players for cheating, and everyone called it out as cheating, then it follows that referees would be more likely to make correct decisions more often. But managers will not call out their players, and so the circle is complete. Instead of blaming referees for these awful decisions, the managers should be blaming themselves for putting referees in the position where they have to continually decide whether players are trying to con them or not.

In principle I would like to bin ex pros and bring in skilled trained sports journalists.

Then I remember that in Scotland that probably means Chick, the rugby man and Graham Spiers and Jim Spence doing a double act of talking about the old firm and talking about how they cant understand transgenderism.

On 06/04/2021 at 09:15, frankthetank22 said:

I thought the same and in a way it was funny but it was also very tragic and seemed awkward for the other presenters. Presley is a lunatic, who thankfully is not fucking up someone's football club at the moment, long may that continue.

Yes, I listened to it just there.

It's a pretty bizarre performance.  Highlights include Pressley's description of something as "neon impossible".

He also got in knots saying the FoH money had to be unconditional, entitling no say whatever in anything.  This was shortly before he accepted they had a say, while bemoaning the way they said it.

He strikes me as an odd bloke with a perception of his intelligence levels, that nobody else in the world shares.

2 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, I listened to it just there.

It's a pretty bizarre performance.  Highlights include Pressley's description of something as "neon impossible".

He also got in knots saying the FoH money had to be unconditional, entitling no say whatever in anything.  This was shortly before he accepted they had a say, while bemoaning the way they said it.

He strikes me as an odd bloke with a perception of his intelligence levels, that nobody else in the world shares.

I'm not sure as to what point he was even trying to make or what he felt needed to change. He could have just shouted 'I AM ANGRY!!!' and we could have just left it there, possibly allowing him a token bang on the desk for effect.

15 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Collins was right - it was Neilson who got them to the cup final, he was in charge when they beat Hibs in the semi.

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

I'm not sure as to what point he was even trying to make or what he felt needed to change. He could have just shouted 'I AM ANGRY!!!' and we could have just left it there, possibly allowing him a token bang on the desk for effect.

Yes, I'm guessing it was meant to be a display of 'passion'.  He should probably have told us what he was so passionate about though.

5 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, I'm guessing it was meant to be a display of 'passion'.  He should probably have told us what he was so passionate about though.

More leadership, but hand over your money without questioning the leadership.

20 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

In principle I would like to bin ex pros and bring in skilled trained sports journalists.

Then I remember that in Scotland that probably means Chick, the rugby man and Graham Spiers and Jim Spence doing a double act of talking about the old firm and talking about how they cant understand transgenderism.

I would say Chick is the personification of unskilled, and I doubt he has training or actual qualifications in journalism - just a very long and surprising career of failing upwards.

Pretty sure the BBC could find some talented journalists under the age of 50 (perhaps even under 40!?) to replace the grumpy auld yins you mention.  Eilidh Barbour was excellent on OAM at the weekend, as several people said.  There must be some other younger, intelligent, well-informed, trained reporters/journalists out there who could freshen things up.

Some ex-pros are fine (Derek Ferguson is knowledgable and sounds like he cares) and the better ones do add something, but there seems to be no quality control at all at the matches or in studio discussions.  Does anyone really think Steven Pressley should be on again?

On 06/04/2021 at 18:26, VictorOnopko said:

Being repeated tonight.  The bit where he bangs the desk while sounding especially thick is lovely stuff. 

Khruschev.jpg

Is banging his fist off the desk his “thing”? I seem to recall him doing that in an interview shortly after he got the Falkirk job whilst repeating “I GUARANTEE you we will not be relegated!” 

Spoiler

Falkirk got relegated

On 07/04/2021 at 23:03, Junior_Arab said:

Is banging his fist off the desk his “thing”? I seem to recall him doing that in an interview shortly after he got the Falkirk job whilst repeating “I GUARANTEE you we will not be relegated!” 

Reveal hidden contents

Falkirk got relegated

Really ?

On 08/04/2021 at 19:12, Lurkst said:

David Currie informing Mark Hateley tonight that his old Coventry team mate Ian Wallace had "passed away years ago".

😯

I did not listen !

The rest of you , those that did , survived ?

17 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

"Let's go first to Celtic vs Livingston." Why?

I very rarely listen pre-match, is it like this every week?

Open the show with a brief couple of sentences on the situation on each division, mentioning that Kilmarnock v Ross County is the biggest game of the day. Then, as you say, start with "let's go to Celtic Park" where the very first thing they say is that this is a dead rubber for Celtic.

25 minutes later and they're still talking about Celtic, with the only mentions of Livingston in that time being Pat Bonner saying a token couple of cliché ridden sentences about their record since Martindale took over and quickly reading out their team.

What the f**k is this?