Sportsound Watch

38 minutes ago, sophia said:

Nothing.

He's putting on a show to sell himself.

That is how I saw it too....it was embarassing.  At one point he said he was so angry that he was thumping the desk....and then promptly banged on the desk to prove how angry and passionate he was.  Later he made a point that fans should not be involved in running the club as they would be too emotionally involved...without any sense of irony.

I can't believe that he was once in the Scotland set up and now understand why several players had absolutely no respect for him.

Edited by Caledonian1

Yes, I say this all the time, but the failure of the pundit to convey the most basic bits of information on OAM is infuriating.   
Even when I've been listening all afternoon, I often forget who exactly is at each ground.  Obviously, when I just catch ten minutes in the car or whatever - an experience hardly unique to me - I haven't a clue.  Similarly, although I kind of know who plenty named players play for, my knowledge is far from encyclopaedic.  Again, I doubt if this makes me special.
It means that when I get told breathlessly about a goal or penalty miss or something, unless I'm specifically told which teams are involved and what the development now makes the score, I'm often in the dark.  
I find it incredible that they're not explicitly instructed simply to start each contribution with a recap of the score in the match they're watching.  No such instruction is clearly given though, and the pundit is rarely smart or insightful enough to recognise what's necessary.  They often need to realise that it's not just Richard Gordon they're telling about events.
They clearly don't cater for occasional listeners or fans who drive to/from games.

In the past, the hour before kick off would include team news, maybe an interview or two and then they'd go round the grounds for a preview. You'd listen in the car on the way to the game, find out your starting XI and maybe hear from your manager. Now? They talk endlessly about the Old Firm*, talk about the early kick off even if it was live on the other frequency and have an interview with one manager (usually Celtic, since the "ongoing situation") and you don't get to hear the teams at all or just before/after 3pm.

After the game, folk walk back to their cars. For some, this is a car park at the ground but for most this will be on-street parking. Years back, you'd get to the car at maybe 5pm and have the classifieds then each game would have a round up then you'd maybe get an interview or two before the old "Your call" or Off the Ball. Now if you get to the car at 5pm you've missed the scores and any round ups, but you'll have about 20 minutes about the Celtic or Rangers game, even if it was the early kick off. No chance in hell of getting any content on the lower leagues until Richard reads the scores later. There is no point listening to it on the way to or from a game.

And if you aren't on your way to a game and listen during the afternoon, you better hope you don't go to the loo or make a cuppa because they will often go for ages during the commentary game without mentioning the score. These are not difficult things to fix and is clearly an editorial decision. I'd say it's amateur but even hospital radio isn't this poor.

I'm on the "Derek Ferguson is decent" train as well. He struggles a bit from time to time, but he generally gets his point, and more importantly the actual facts of the game, across relatively coherently, and definitely has the "I'm getting paid to watch football, fucking brilliant" enthusiasm of a proper fan. I've mentioned before, and I may be well off, but he always struggles with his HT and FT reports,  I always wondered if he was dyslexic and struggled to read back what he has prepared (or had prepared for him).
You can book me on that train as well, I really enjoy Ferguson's enthusiasm. My dad was in hospital for an overnight stay and really appreciated Ferguson's delighted coverage of Motherwell's 6-6 draw with Hibs. Said his excitement really came over.

Yes, his reports at half and full time can come across a wee bit stilted but I don't think he's comfortable reading out a written report. He was at the same school as me (a few years ahead of me) and I've heard him say he in interviews that he really didn't try a leg and he was probably playing at a time before players were getting media training. His enthusiasm still makes him by far the best of the bunch though.

12 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Sounds like a good laugh. Will give it a listen. 

I thought the same and in a way it was funny but it was also very tragic and seemed awkward for the other presenters. Presley is a lunatic, who thankfully is not fucking up someone's football club at the moment, long may that continue.

15 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

They clearly don't cater for occasional listeners or fans who drive to/from games.

In the past, the hour before kick off would include team news, maybe an interview or two and then they'd go round the grounds for a preview. You'd listen in the car on the way to the game, find out your starting XI and maybe hear from your manager. Now? They talk endlessly about the Old Firm*, talk about the early kick off even if it was live on the other frequency and have an interview with one manager (usually Celtic, since the "ongoing situation") and you don't get to hear the teams at all or just before/after 3pm.

After the game, folk walk back to their cars. For some, this is a car park at the ground but for most this will be on-street parking. Years back, you'd get to the car at maybe 5pm and have the classifieds then each game would have a round up then you'd maybe get an interview or two before the old "Your call" or Off the Ball. Now if you get to the car at 5pm you've missed the scores and any round ups, but you'll have about 20 minutes about the Celtic or Rangers game, even if it was the early kick off. No chance in hell of getting any content on the lower leagues until Richard reads the scores later. There is no point listening to it on the way to or from a game.

And if you aren't on your way to a game and listen during the afternoon, you better hope you don't go to the loo or make a cuppa because they will often go for ages during the commentary game without mentioning the score. These are not difficult things to fix and is clearly an editorial decision. I'd say it's amateur but even hospital radio isn't this poor.

This has really become more prominent over the last few years. It's a clear editorial decision.

I only ever tune in at 14.00 if I know they'll be discussing Scotland or some big issue like the Hearts circus last year. Even then they squeeze in Celtic and Sevco chat. I also don't bother listening after 17.00 at all anymore.

They genuinely should have two shows: one actually for Scottish football that discusses it and the teams involved, and their current show, which is for Sevco and Celtic. Do it on split frequencies.

15 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

This for me is a big, big gripe. They simply do not care one iota about broadcasting a decent balanced informative sports program. I always put it on at 2 to listen to the build up on the way to the game. There is no point now. As you say its irrelevant Old Firm* chat, even if the same subject has been done to death during the week. The chat is mostly inane, full of irrelevance and views from folk who obviously haven't seen, or know anything of the issues or form of players. Its poor, and as you say even after an afternoon full of football its ignored. Any details of the matches and discussions is an after thought. 

The commentary during games is certainly no where near the level of commentary of years gone by. It has been getting progressively worse over time, but to be fair on that point so has the tv commentary too.

Derek Ferguson actually seems to care about and enjoy Scottish football.

You can also tell that he prepares for games and makes notes to refer to etc.

So he's alright by me and welcome to marry my sister any day. 

So the verdict is in......By a comfortable majority we demand the end of the atrocity that is Scottish ex-professional footballers as pundits.  "Roughie, Big DJ, Davie Provan, Biscuits, Pat Bonner(dishonorary Scot), Willie Miller, James McFadden, Stephen Pressley, Doddsie, Neil McCann et al, there is the dustbin of history....go jump in it !"

13 minutes ago, kennie makevin said:

So the verdict is in......By a comfortable majority we demand the end of the atrocity that is Scottish ex-professional footballers as pundits.  "Roughie, Big DJ, Davie Provan, Biscuits, Pat Bonner(dishonorary Scot), Willie Miller, James McFadden, Stephen Pressley, Doddsie, Neil McCann et al, there is the dustbin of history....go jump in it !"

Except Derek Ferguson.

22 hours ago, Caledonian1 said:

That is how I saw it too....it was embarassing.  At one point he said he was so angry that he was thumping the desk....and then promptly banged on the desk to prove how angry and passionate he was.  Later he made a point that fans should not be involved in running the club as they would be too emotionally involved...without any sense of irony.

I can't believe that he was once in the Scotland set up and now understand why several players had absolutely no respect for him.

Being repeated tonight.  The bit where he bangs the desk while sounding especially thick is lovely stuff. 

Khruschev.jpg

9 hours ago, frankthetank22 said:

I thought the same and in a way it was funny but it was also very tragic and seemed awkward for the other presenters. Presley is a lunatic, who thankfully is not fucking up someone's football club at the moment, long may that continue.

You are right. It was quite weird and not that funny. 

The only thing that was funny was that a few weeks ago he was an Aberdeen fan when the job was available.