Sportsound Watch

2 hours ago, BukyOHare said:

Just heard Billy Dodds and Neil McCann praising the team for winning the second half 1 nil. 

Barely a mention of that dreadful first half performance. 

Was he talking about Scotland or The Caley?

3 hours ago, meanmistermustard said:

The post match comments from Dodds and McCann were a joke last night, even Richard Gordon was annoyed at Dodds claiming the second half was excellent when we failed to trouble Israel for the last 30 minutes.

I just listened to it there.

It really is laughable.  Richard Gordon managed to smother any indignation in mockery, but Dodds just sounded like a moron.  He accused Gordon of getting hung up on the word 'excellent' but still defended his absurd use of it.  

I thought Miller was right when he suggested near the end that it can only really be against us, that Israel keep looking like a good side.

A few days ago, Richard Foster was bemoaning the fact that Scott Brown had apparently been given the role of player/assistant manager at Aberdeen.

He felt that a player/coach role would be more appropriate, a view that is clearly shared by AFC, given that that is actually the role he will have at the club.

9 hours ago, BukyOHare said:

Just heard Billy Dodds and Neil McCann praising the team for winning the second half 1 nil. 

Barely a mention of that dreadful first half performance. 

New levels of buffoonery reached by Dodds last night. 

When we are missing out on the World Cup in Qatar next year il be sure to remember fondly the time we won the 2nd half against Israel 👍

3 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I just listened to it there.

It really is laughable.  Richard Gordon managed to smother any indignation in mockery, but Dodds just sounded like a moron.  He accused Gordon of getting hung up on the word 'excellent' but still defended his absurd use of it.  

I thought Miller was right when he suggested near the end that it can only really be against us, that Israel keep looking like a good side.

Oor  'Doddsie ' just sounded like a moron.  How dare you sir !!!!

2 hours ago, sam2304 said:

New levels of buffoonery reached by Dodds last night. 

When we are missing out on the World Cup in Qatar next year il be sure to remember fondly the time we won the 2nd half against Israel 👍

I couldn't quite believe what I was hearing, I don't think Richard Gordon could either. At one point the word excellent was used to describe certain parts of last night's performance. That was rightly queried by RG and Dodds decided to say that if we had gone onto get a winner people would have called last night's performance / result, "excellent". I honestly don't think that's the case. 

The pundits staggeringly missing the point when you think about that 1st half performance and tactics and someone who clearly underestimates the underlying feeling of an ever growing majority. 

Didn't he imply Gordon was getting confused because he would have agreed with his opinion if various other things that didn't happen had actually happened.

Really bizarre and you could tell Gordon just gave up trying to argue with him and moved on only for later on Dodds bringing it up again and making himself sound just as stupid at the second time of asking.

Sounded to me that by the end Gordon was taking the piss out of Dodds and that got Dodds annoyed hence him accusing Richard Gordon of being a deluded fan.

Was utterly bizarre hearing McCann go on about how it was great because if other things had happened we would have called it great.

Edited by meanmistermustard

On 28/03/2021 at 14:41, Monkey Tennis said:

Alex McLeish right now - fucking hell.

He referred to a last minute win in Israel in his playing days, that was clearly the Cyprus game.

He also thinks we've been drawn alongside Israel in this World Cup group because we're at their level.  They'd honestly be better interviewing my cat.  At least she wouldn't pretend to have a clue.

He did participate in a World Cup victory in Tel-Aviv in 1980 or 1981, he set up the winner with a header for Dalglish to volley home. 

That ability in the air during his playing days will likely be the cause of the fog that's mixing up a win in Israel with a last minute winner in Cyprus nine years later.

The amount of players from the 1960s through to the1980s suffering seems higher than anyone could've imagined. I assume the previous generations faced similar issues or did the aerial assault begin in earnest during this period? 

Will players from the 1990s to now suffer similar brain deteriorations as the get older? 

Who knows but the evidence is now in plain view that there's a connection. 

Edited by Bogbrush1903

I think the Sportsound team have got to start being honest with themselves. 

Only Willie Miller could see that the Austrian game was two points dropped and not a "good point". 

Then Dodds and McCann tell us that the 1-0 second half win in Israel was excellent but fail to analyse how Clarke could get his tactics so wrong in the first half when he's played the same team twice before in the last few months. 

Then tonight they were "talking positives" again although Willie Miller identified that the Faroese should've had the ball in the net twice. 

We won't qualify for this World Cup and Richard Gordon has already given top spot to Denmark. So expect fawning praise for the opposition in Copenhagen and the positives extracted from a 2 or 3 nil defeat. 

This is all leading to either a defeat or draw in Chisinau and Israel taking second spot. 

The moment we're honest and realise we're shite and always have been will be the time we can cleanse ourselves as a 'nation' by retiring Billy Dodds from coaching and punditry. He's a product of the problem like greenhouse gas emissions. 

Edited by Bogbrush1903

7 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

He did participate in a World Cup victory in Tel-Aviv in 1980 or 1981, he set up the winner with a header for Dalglish to volley home. 

That ability in the air during his playing days will likely be the cause of the fog that's mixing up a win in Israel with a last minute winner in Cyprus nine years later.

The amount of players from the 1960s through to the1980s suffering seems higher than anyone could've imagined. I assume the previous generations faced similar issues or did the aerial assault begin in earnest during this period? 

Will players from the 1990s to now suffer similar brain deteriorations as the get older? 

Who knows but the evidence is now in plain view that there's a connection. 

Yes, I remember the 1981 game well - it's often referred  to on here.

I wasn't meaning to sound unduly callous about his Radio performance, although I probably did.  I'd imagine that you're right in your identification of the issue.  It makes it all the more ridiculous that he was invited on though.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

16 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Leeanne Crighton is absolute brain damage.  She makes Pat Bonner sound insightful. 

Pre-match yesterday "I'd have liked to have seen John Fleck get some minutes." Why?...

She also made comment about her being happy to have anyone in the team for the Faroes games including Andy Considine because he's shown what he can do. I don't have a problem with Considine but it was just a bizarre comment for a must-win game. 

Seperately, did anyone catch Neil McCann's weird monologue before the Israel game? Going on a long-winded speech about Pep Guardiola and our negative set-up. Then asking Willie Miller and the panel whether they thought they personally could set the team up more positively and what effect that would have on our results. 

On 01/04/2021 at 06:28, Bogbrush1903 said:

I think the Sportsound team have got to start being honest with themselves. 

Only Willie Miller could see that the Austrian game was two points dropped and not a "good point". 

Then Dodds and McCann tell us that the 1-0 second half win in Israel was excellent but fail to analyse how Clarke could get his tactics so wrong in the first half when he's played the same team twice before in the last few months. 

Then tonight they were "talking positives" again although Willie Miller identified that the Faroese should've had the ball in the net twice. 

We won't qualify for this World Cup and Richard Gordon has already given top spot to Denmark. So expect fawning praise for the opposition in Copenhagen and the positives extracted from a 2 or 3 nil defeat. 

This is all leading to either a defeat or draw in Chisinau and Israel taking second spot. 

The moment we're honest and realise we're shite and always have been will be the time we can cleanse ourselves as a 'nation' by retiring Billy Dodds from coaching and punditry. He's a product of the problem like greenhouse gas emissions. 

Dodds and McCann have been failures at international level.  It shows when they think drawing with a 4th seeded team is a positive.

Willie Miller on the other hand is a winner, say what you want about him, however you can tell he has that Alex Ferguson thought, he was bang on on both the games.

Anyway, I came on to post about Chick Young.  Can we get a campaign to get him off the radio for good, He speaks and speaks, but says f**k all. Him and Charlie Adams was a tough listen. 

A nice packed day of Scottish Cup games. Obviously we get commentary from Dumbarton v Aberdeen and Celtic v Falkirk as TV games in their own slots (although where was Ross County v Inverness last night?).

So what of the 3pm games? Open All Mics on 92-95FM as usual, and there is indeed live commentary on 810MW. I guess it must be Dundee v St Johnstone, or perhaps Stenhousemuir v Kilmarnock, which looks perfect for a shock. 

Spoiler

Live football commentary as Dunfermline face Hearts. Follow @bbcsportsound