Sportsound Watch

5 hours ago, VictorOnopko said:

You literally couldn't be more wrong.

I disagree.

Gordon is one of the biggest problems with the programme and he has been at the helm of - what is now considered - a very poor sports show for too long.

On 13/03/2021 at 16:27, Lurkst said:

Packie reckons Dundee are the 7th team in the big 6.

" ....  Bonner ....  "  forgotten it

" Along came Bonner " " inspired by " Kennie Macevin

Edited by ewan14

On 14/03/2021 at 19:15, A96 said:

His outstanding contribution from what I heard yesterday , was interrupting the tribute to Alastair Alexander to announce (after the usual amount of waffle and failure to get to the fvkkin point) that Walter (“the great man”) isn’t dead.

That was a bit dodgy !

On 13/03/2021 at 17:01, CCB19035 said:

I agree. 

One thing these guys never consider is they are paid to more or less be fans, yet they'll slaughter money paying fans for having tooy high expectations or whatever. 

Canna stand that old pals network on sportsound, some of them as you say, struggle to speak coherently at the best of times. 

They had the articulate ones on this evening  !!! 

I.e.  J.C.  ,  4 - 6 - 0 , et al

Edited by ewan14

On 13/03/2021 at 15:51, kennie makevin said:

Alarmingly Richard Gordon falling over himself to assure 'Doddsie' that his sportsound seat would be left open. Wish BBC  Scotland would use this opportunity to permanently clear out their sad array of semi-literate ex pros and replace them proper coherent sports j journalists.

Doddsie is o.k.

11 hours ago, ewan14 said:

Doddsie is o.k.

I'm sure he is but unfortunately like almost all ex-professional footballers employed by Radio Scotland as 'pundits' , he lacks the qualities of insight, erudition, marshalling of basic facts (and indeed basic grammar) required to perform what is essentially a journalistic role. To paraphrase, just because someone used to drive a Taxi doesn't make them an expert on the workings of the internal combustion engine..(or whatever it is you call it).

19 hours ago, Detournement said:

He's the one that is actually meant to ensure they talk about football.

Compare him to Geoff Stelling who manages to keep his show on track. It all starts with the host/editor. 

Geoff Stelling is working with half-decent pundits who know how to describe a game, rather than raging simpletons like "Biscuits" and Chick who are completely unable (or unwilling) to do basic things on OOM.  I think Richard Gordon does well to try to keep them in line, e.g., asking them for the millionth time to say which team/player has actually scored - and cutting off some of their interruptions and drivel when he knows something more important is happening elsewhere.  RG is also informative and professional throughout, unlike the rabble around him.  It's a tough gig and he only occasionally sounds exasperated.  He also gets bonus points for me for having a thinly-veiled contempt for Chick and being happy to mock him on air.

17 minutes ago, VictorOnopko said:

Geoff Stelling is working with half-decent pundits who know how to describe a game, rather than raging simpletons like "Biscuits" and Chick who are completely unable (or unwilling) to do basic things on OOM.  I think Richard Gordon does well to try to keep them in line, e.g., asking them for the millionth time to say which team/player has actually scored - and cutting off some of their interruptions and drivel when he knows something more important is happening elsewhere.  RG is also informative and professional throughout, unlike the rabble around him.  It's a tough gig and he only occasionally sounds exasperated.  He also gets bonus points for me for having a thinly-veiled contempt for Chick and being happy to mock him on air.

Sometimes.

He has to work with the 'quality' of Merson and Hendrie at the moment, not to mention Thompson and Nicholas in the past. Don't be fooled into thinking they are any better than our mob. It's just Stelling himself is magnificent.

9 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Sometimes.

He has to work with the 'quality' of Merson and Hendrie at the moment, not to mention Thompson and Nicholas in the past. Don't be fooled into thinking they are any better than our mob. It's just Stelling himself is magnificent.

Oh, I agree that Stelling is a smoother pro than our own Richard Gordon (Stelling is probably the best in the business) - but I also totally disagree that Gordon should be sacked, as a couple of folk on here were suggesting.  RG is not the problem on Sportsound - he's perfectly competent, a good broadcaster, and he does his best to carve out a decent programme every week from the shambles most of the pundits and reporters are serving up.

With all due respect to their relative shiteness, with the possible exception of Nicholas (now gone), none of the pundits you mention are anywhere near as biased, ignorant or downright infuriating as Bonner, "Biscuits", or the bold Chick.

26 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Sometimes.

Merson is basically Alf Garnett with hair.