Sportsound Watch

4 minutes ago, kennie makevin said:

Considering he played for neither of the Old Bigots what chance of a decent appreciation of Ian St John on Sportsound this evening ?

They’ll bring on McFadden as their Motherwell representative to talk about him for 2 minutes then he’ll just talk about who’ll get the Celtic job for the rest of it.

2 hours ago, kingjoey said:

Absolutely, and the thing is that Ajax produce youngsters, sell them on, and then produce more. Celtic don’t produce anyone that has any market value, apart from Keiran Tierney.

.............although (and I hate to do this) playing devils advocate here - Celtic have been spectacularly successful in spotting and buying overseas talent then flogging them for an absolute fortune.

£11m (maybe) for Frimpong is a rather good example, plus whatever they sold Van Dijk for.

I would say that is their "conveyor belt of cash" as opposed to the laddies they hoover up at a young age then spit out to every other Scottish team.

1 hour ago, kennie makevin said:

Considering he played for neither of the Old Bigots what chance of a decent appreciation of Ian St John on Sportsound this evening ?

They'll probably concede that he's now out of the running for the Celtic job.

Edited by Mr Heliums

4 hours ago, kingjoey said:

John Collins on last night’s show talking about football academies. “Celtic are the Scottish equivalent of Ajax.” Ajax fill their team with their football academy players year after year and sell them on for millions of Euros. Celtic have Kieran Tierney.

Ironic that the entire discussion was at the expense of St Johnstone – whose  team on Sunday was made up mostly of either local boys or products of their youth system.

But, yeah, Celtic are Ajax apparently.

John Collins on last night’s show talking about football academies. “Celtic are the Scottish equivalent of Ajax.” Ajax fill their team with their football academy players year after year and sell them on for millions of Euros. Celtic have Kieran Tierney.
St Johnstone had 7 academy graduates in the squad for the final but no mention of this.

5 minutes ago, perthsaint1977 said:
5 hours ago, kingjoey said:

St Johnstone had 7 academy graduates in the squad for the final but no mention of this.

That's a fantastic achievement and far more should have been said about this.  Well done on winning the cup on Sunday. 

I listened to Collins last night and what  a bore he is.  He's dreadful to listen too 

1 hour ago, Leith Green said:

.............although (and I hate to do this) playing devils advocate here - Celtic have been spectacularly successful in spotting and buying overseas talent then flogging them for an absolute fortune.

£11m (maybe) for Frimpong is a rather good example, plus whatever they sold Van Dijk for.

I would say that is their "conveyor belt of cash" as opposed to the laddies they hoover up at a young age then spit out to every other Scottish team.

They’ve had a few big hits, but for every Van Dijk & Wanyama there have been 2 or 3 Marvin Comppers, Vakoun Bayos, Vasillas Barkas and Maryan Shveds. 

They’ve had a few big hits, but for every Van Dijk & Wanyama there have been 2 or 3 Marvin Comppers, Vakoun Bayos, Vasillas Barkas and Maryan Shveds. 
That's how venture capitalism works. It doesn't matter if ninety-nine of the start ups fail as long as number one hundred is AirBnB. That philosophy made its way into football a few years back. Atalanta being a prime example.

4 hours ago, Leith Green said:

That wasn’t what Collins was saying though.

4 hours ago, perthsaint1977 said:
9 hours ago, kingjoey said:

The entire (10 minutes or so) time spent discussing St Johnstone’s cup win was utter patronising pish.

14 hours ago, Rodhull said:

They’ll bring on McFadden as their Motherwell representative to talk about him for 2 minutes then he’ll just talk about who’ll get the Celtic job for the rest of it.

Yup, that's exactly what happened. That and McFadden touting himself for the Ayr United managers job, or any managers job.

Then straight back onto discussing celtic.

My team Ross County only ever get a fleeting mention due to John "Yogi" Hughes being one of their pals. God help the club once he eventually gets punted for getting us relegated.

5 hours ago, frankthetank22 said:

Yup, that's exactly what happened. That and McFadden touting himself for the Ayr United managers job, or any managers job.

Then straight back onto discussing celtic.

I have just listened to the podcast and it sounds like a completely different programme to the one you listened to. For a start there was no mention of Celtic whatsoever. And the thing that I loved about the show yesterday was the clip that they played of an interview that Kenny McIntyre did with Ian St John 10 years ago. It was a great few minutes and makes me want to hear the full interview. Also a nice wee call with Willie Henderson about his time with Ian St John in the Scotland team. It was a very varied show last night and much better than usual.

Edited by kingjoey

25 minutes since the final whistles went in Livi vs Rangers and Hamilton vs St Johnstone and so far they’ve discussed Rangers (10 minutes), Steve Clarke taking the Celtic job (5 minutes), Livi (2 minutes) then back to Rangers. I don’t think they’ve mentioned the Hamilton game once, which was just as dramatic as the Livi one and probably far more significant in implications for the league table and relegation. 

That's twice in as many weeks that they've acknowledged there's been a goal at another match and not gone to the commentators at that game.    Last night when the Sainties scored 'Theres been a goal in the Hamilton game' but they didn't go to it or say what team had scored because fucking TCFKAR had a corner.  In a game they were winning.  The last time was on 'Open some mikes' programme when they stayed with the Celtic game when there was a goal in the St Miren game.    

I'm fairly mellow and level headed, but f**k sake...!  The BBC haven't even been allowed inside Ibrox for years, why do they continually pander to these people?  

It's taken until just now but finally there had been acknowledgement that Hearts are a bit pish. Allan Preston even said that Hearts would be bottom 6 in the Premiership with their current squad.

Michael Stewart couldn't help himself though by saying that they would comfortably be a mid table team.

13 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

It's taken until just now but finally there had been acknowledgement that Hearts are a bit pish. Allan Preston even said that Hearts would be bottom 6 in the Premiership with their current squad.

Michael Stewart couldn't help himself though by saying that they would comfortably be a mid table team.

I remember at the start of the season after they skelped Dundee in the first game all the chat on Sportsound  was “They could well go the entire season undefeated” and “This squad would be qualifying for Europe in the SPL”. Until you actually look at the players at their disposal and realise that most of them are bang average SPL players, and any that have been better than that (Gordon, Berra, Naismith, GMS) are well and truly past it. 

3 minutes ago, Junior_Arab said:

I remember at the start of the season after they skelped Dundee in the first game all the chat on Sportsound  was “They could well go the entire season undefeated” and “This squad would be qualifying for Europe in the SPL”. Until you actually look at the players at their disposal and realise that most of them are bang average SPL players, and any that have been better than that (Gordon, Berra, Naismith, GMS) are well and truly past it. 

SPL doesn't exist and hasn't for years

Pedantry aside, aye, they were saying how Hearts would definitely have won the 8 games that weren't played and would have easily stayed up. As you note they were wanking about Hearts going unbeaten and were saying how they had a top 6 squad. The other notable bit of nonsense was how Boyce was going to score 30 goals.

I get that it probably is a shite game, but the Morton vs Ayr game deserves more of a half time report than "Nil nil".

Unfunny and just shows their contempt for anything outside of the Premiership.

Even just a couple of lines about why the game is so poor would be better. Are both teams nullifying each other? Are both teams just sitting back and asking the other to attack? Are they both playing ineffective long ball so the midfield aren't getting a chance to do anything?

10 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

I get that it probably is a shite game, but the Morton vs Ayr game deserves more of a half time report than "Nil nil".

Unfunny and just shows their contempt for anything outside of the Premiership.

Even just a couple of lines about why the game is so poor would be better. Are both teams nullifying each other? Are both teams just sitting back and asking the other to attack? Are they both playing ineffective long ball so the midfield aren't getting a chance to do anything?

Chick was trying to be funny.  He's a more genuine wage thief than any player who has ever set foot in the Scottish game.

Meanwhile, it was easy to work out who the penalty at Tynecastle was for - "Biscuits" sounded like someone had just died.