Sportsound Watch

1 hour ago, Merkland Red said:

They tried moving free kicks forward an extra ten yards.

Like most of these initiatives in football they begin well at the start of the season and are then binned by December. See handballs for example.

Shirt pulling at corners was another a few years ago.

Well we keep trying until we find something that works then, because seriously, it's becoming unwatchable for me.

I don't think the point is really why they do it. Just that they do and it's very silly. Easy to see how someone not acquainted well with football would see it as ridiculous.
Especially as so many of the things footballers do are clearly learned cultural behaviours they've only seen on a football pitch. For example, why do footballers roll around when in 'pain'? In what other situation do we see people do this?
And it would be possible to change football in a way to not reward these behaviours.
The incident in the Leeds game recently where the boy fell on the floor having been sort of touched in the face sums it up. In a competitive sense the boy did the right thing for his team, but a sport that rewards behaviour like that needs to change something. It's patently ridiculous.
Imagine being that boy and facing your parents after the game? Absolute beamer.

Talking about footballers learned behaviour - why do footballers spit so much? You don’t see any other sportsmen doing it

5 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

After a slew of incidents where almost entire teams surrounded the officials, a couple of years ago hockey introduced guidance to umpires that only one player (usually the captain) should be able to approach them to "discuss" a decision. Anyone else who joins in gets a green card (2 min sin bin) straight away.

Oddly, people stopped surrounding the umpires...

Basketball too - only the team captain can, politely, ask a referee about a decision, and only when play is stopped. Coaches aren't even allowed to ask.

On 09/02/2021 at 13:16, ahemps said:

Glasgow warriors have a slightly larger average attendance than Edinburgh so it must be as equally popular there.

Football fans who don't like rugby always seem very bitter about it, why is that? They would show no emotion if asked about Ice Hockey or Basketball but get wound up about rugby, very weird.

If people aren't following rugby all that much they've maybe missed Warriors growing into Glasgow's 3rd most followed sports team. They sell out Scotstoun ~7,500 (pre-COVID) and are working with the council to plan an extension to ~11,000. Just based on the Glasgow East Stand crowd I don't think it was stereotypical 'posh folk' that were the main drivers of growing the support.

There's a definite reputation from other fans in the Pro League, they notice Glasgow's support is a bit different. You'll often read it's more football like with the noise and more booing of opponents antics than most others! 

Wouldn't expect score updates or reports for Glasgow on Sportsound, but the National Team in the 6nations is totally different.

On 09/02/2021 at 09:08, AndyDD said:

Football fans would rather lose or draw playing stylish football than ground out narrow wins playing rather conservatively, says John Collins. 

Would they, aye? Speak for yersel, John.  

On 09/02/2021 at 09:29, TheScarf said:

Yeah, let's get relegated playing football 'the right way'.

Personally, yeh I'd far rather my team played exciting attacking football than grind out a result.  It's fucking horrific to watch week after week of absolute defensive negative shite.

It's such a bizarre argument though, that if you play football "the right way" it will inevitably end out in relegation, it generally doesn't from my years of watching football. 

7 hours ago, Loonytoons said:

Personally, yeh I'd far rather my team played exciting attacking football than grind out a result.  It's fucking horrific to watch week after week of absolute defensive negative shite.

It's such a bizarre argument though, that if you play football "the right way" it will inevitably end out in relegation, it generally doesn't from my years of watching football. 

I couldn't give a fuck how The Caley play, as long as they win.  If its 2010 Barcelona or 1988 Wimbledon, so be it.

19 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

Probably the same way the Rugby boys do after freezing their own spunk and using it as ice cubes.

I've a tray in our freezer just like this for when I eventually die, then the missus can still get impregnated or have my jizz in her mouth whenever she feels like it.

Half after eating pineapple, half not obviously.  Canny wait till she fucks up when her pals are around for drinks :lol:

On 12/01/2021 at 08:36, Monkey Tennis said:

Despite performing well on the programme generally, Michael Stewart piped up at the end to say Lewis Stevenson is the only non-OF player to have won both main Cups with the same club.  Of course, this 'fact' went unchallenged.

It must be wrong though as the Aberdeen side that won several Scottish Cups in the 80s, also won the League Cup in 1985.  I'd imagine a good few players were around for both.  I also wondered about Maurice Malpas, but I think the League Cups came too early.

There will definitely be 1980s Aberdeen players though and it wouldn't surprise me if there are others from earlier.

Hearts' from the 50s maybe. East Fife, late 30s late 40s? Motherwell early 50s?

ETA: As has been pointed out by quite a lot of other posters - hardly surprising as the post I quoted was a month old!

Edited by Jacksgranda

On 26/01/2021 at 12:16, starryfish said:

I still don’t understand why the likes of Tom English isn’t broadcasting from home just now as he did during the first lockdown last spring.

His wife wants him out of the house...

19 hours ago, Nowhereman said:

Talking about footballers learned behaviour - why do footballers spit so much? You don’t see any other sportsmen doing it

They don't go around gobbing at 5 a sides indoor either, was thinking it must be something about running about outside, but don't think Marathon runners are gobbing every 2 mins as they run along.

I remember John Hartson was really bad for it, every close up shot of him he had a spittle rolled on his tongue ready to spit.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

7 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Hearts' from the 50s maybe. East Fife, late 30s late 40s? Motherwell early 50s?

ETA: As has been pointed out by quite a lot of other posters - hardly surprising as the post I quoted was a month old!

I think he was talking about current players, rather than historical ones (christ, cannae believe I just called the 80s historical 😭)

6 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

I think he was talking about current players, rather than historical ones (christ, cannae believe I just called the 80s historical 😭)

Aye, hadn't thought of that. Even so, there can't be that many non Celgers who have won both cups with the same team.