Sportsound Watch

On 03/02/2021 at 21:39, sophia said:

Heather Dewar reporting on the 48th minute goal at Arbroath v Inverness Caley Thistle and she speculated that it may have been scored by Alan Doran.

Aaron Doran came on in the 71st minute.

Watch how you word any criticism of Heather. She has her fan's on here.

Couldn't agree with you more.

On 09/02/2021 at 13:14, DiegoDiego said:

Splitting hairs here. I think "no one gives a f**k" may not have been an entirely serious comment. I'd say giving a f**k about the Scotland men's national rugby team and giving a f**k about rugby are quite different things.

Anyway, I can see two deer from my bedroom window. A lovely sight on a snowy day.

For Christmas I bought eight legs of venison for £50..

Do you think that's two deer?................................................................................................sorry...........................

Edited by Hawkeye the Gnu

14 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Thought Ian Mccall came across as an absolute seething mess last night.  

This constant hard done by shite from him and their club is pathetic. 

Didn't listen and absolutely won't through choice listen to him. Why does no one just tell them, that's the rules. Just because you're full time and "ambitious" doesn't mean you get any different treatment from clubs at your level. Stfu Ian 😂

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

Is that "auld dears" you're spying on from your Maryhill bedroom window :whistle?
Not the delights of Maryhill, though I often spotted deer from my old residence in Lambhill. I decided to furlough at my parents' in FK2 to give them a bit of a hand. Both got their vaccines this morning.

Deer are my favourite animals, but I can't look at one without thinking of venison recipes.

Back somewhat on topic, it's hard to tell where Thistle are more of a joke these days: on or off the pitch. With seaside football on hold I'd almost managed to repress memory of the Jags, only for them to pop up and embarrass themselves every few days like a drunk uncle at a wake.

Guest TheJTS98
22 hours ago, ahemps said:

I took a South African friend to a football match and he couldn't contain his laughing at the antics of footballers, he was astounded at how much a 'bunch of p*ssies they were' he genuinely couldn't believe it. It actually made me view the sport in a different light witnessing a person with no experience of football amazed at the way they behaved which I always knew was pathetic but as football fans we just accept it. 

I started watching rugby league when I was about 17 and it has had a similar effect on my view of football players. Boys getting shoulders popped back in on the pitch while the game carries on around them etc.

I often wonder how footballers face their friends and families after games where they've rolled about on the floor (often while actually screaming) pretending to be mortally wounded in front of a live tv audience of millions of people. I'd die of shame.

22 hours ago, ahemps said:

Glasgow warriors have a slightly larger average attendance than Edinburgh so it must be as equally popular there.

Football fans who don't like rugby always seem very bitter about it, why is that? They would show no emotion if asked about Ice Hockey or Basketball but get wound up about rugby, very weird.

It is odd that rugby and football are divided by social class and is probably a hindrance to rugby as how many tough kids from non private schools would actually enjoy the aggression and discipline of the sport? I heard Chris Wood the Burnley striker say that in New Zealand football is what the girls play and the boys play rugby. I took a South African friend to a football match and he couldn't contain his laughing at the antics of footballers, he was astounded at how much a 'bunch of p*ssies they were' he genuinely couldn't believe it. It actually made me view the sport in a different light witnessing a person with no experience of football amazed at the way they behaved which I always knew was pathetic but as football fans we just accept it. 

I love football but i'm also one of those who'll watch pretty much any sport as i'm interested. Happily got up early in the morning to watch the lions tour and i'll watch the 6 nations when they're on but got little or no interest in watching club rugby for whatever reason. Less invested maybe? If people dont like rugby or cricket or whatever sport it is, dont watch it? Simple. 

What gives football an even worse reputation regarding the pathetic rolling about nonsense in my eyes more than football fans just seem to accept it is that the organisations at the top of football enable it. From FIFA, UEFA and even the broadcasters. 

No action taken against the pathetic nonsense rolling about or the diving and cheating. The broadcasters pussy foot around it as well and brush over the fact there was clearly very little or no contact at all despite the player rolling about like they've been punched in the face by Mike Tyson etc. I'm not going to even get started on the "there was the slightest contact so he has a right to go down there" line thats churned out by pundits!

I really am starting to turn into an internet angry Da' 😐 

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

I started watching rugby league when I was about 17 and it has had a similar effect on my view of football players. Boys getting shoulders popped back in on the pitch while the game carries on around them etc.

I don't really think it's anything to do with footballers being "softer", it's all about incentives. If rugby players had chosen to play football they'd act the same, and vice versa. People are people, if it's in their interest to roll around on the ground, they will; if it's in their interest to get up immediately and play on, they will.

And, before this ventures further into the moral highground, let's not pretend bloodgate never happened.

Also, how does someone from a country that has qualified for multiple World Cups and even hosted one, have had no exposure to football?

1 minute ago, DiegoDiego said:

I don't really think it's anything to do with footballers being "softer", it's all about incentives. If rugby players had chosen to play football they'd act the same, and vice versa. People are people, if it's in their interest to roll around on the ground, they will; if it's in their interest to get up immediately and play on, they will.

And, before this ventures further into the moral highground, let's not pretend bloodgate never happened.

Also, how does someone from a country that has qualified for multiple World Cups and even hosted one, have had no exposure to football?

Aye. Footballers can be embarrassing but let’s be honest, if there was any advantage to be gained in rugby from such behaviour then a good percentage would do it. 

Guest TheJTS98
9 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

I don't think the point is really why they do it. Just that they do and it's very silly. Easy to see how someone not acquainted well with football would see it as ridiculous.

Especially as so many of the things footballers do are clearly learned cultural behaviours they've only seen on a football pitch. For example, why do footballers roll around when in 'pain'? In what other situation do we see people do this?

And it would be possible to change football in a way to not reward these behaviours.

The incident in the Leeds game recently where the boy fell on the floor having been sort of touched in the face sums it up. In a competitive sense the boy did the right thing for his team, but a sport that rewards behaviour like that needs to change something. It's patently ridiculous.

Imagine being that boy and facing your parents after the game? Absolute beamer.

Edited by TheJTS98

I don't think the point is really why they do it. Just that they do and it's very silly. Easy to see how someone not acquainted well with football would see it as ridiculous.
Especially as so many of the things footballers do are clearly learned cultural behaviours they've only seen on a football pitch. For example, why do footballers roll around when in 'pain'? In what other situation do we see people do this?
And it would be possible to change football in a way to not reward these behaviours.
The incident in the Leeds game recently where the boy fell on the floor having been sort of touched in the face sums it up. In a competitive sense the boy did the right thing for his team, but a sport that rewards behaviour like that needs to change something. It's patently ridiculous.
Imagine being that boy and facing your parents after the game? Absolute beamer.
Aye, I agree with all that. There's definitely a strong cultural element. I've watched a decent amount of football in countries like Mexico and Italy and there's definitely differences in behaviour. I think it was Craig Levein who said after a game that Juanjo was new to the country and didn't understand that his behaviour wasn't acceptable here.

The same goes for arguing with referees, of course it goes on here but the way the Italians do it just looks pathetic from our point of view. Same with the Spanish, you even see it in their handball team. A sport where you've no time to stop yet some of them are badgering referees while the opposition have got on with it and are about to score.

I think we should count ourselves lucky that the sporting culture here discourages such behaviour, but I think more needs to be done in terms of rule tweaks.

Guest TheJTS98
3 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

Aye, I agree with all that. There's definitely a strong cultural element. I've watched a decent amount of football in countries like Mexico and Italy and there's definitely differences in behaviour. I think it was Craig Levein who said after a game that Juanjo was new to the country and didn't understand that his behaviour wasn't acceptable here.

The same goes for arguing with referees, of course it goes on here but the way the Italians do it just looks pathetic from our point of view. Same with the Spanish, you even see it in their handball team. A sport where you've no time to stop yet some of them are badgering referees while the opposition have got on with it and are about to score.

I think we should count ourselves lucky that the sporting culture here discourages such behaviour, but I think more needs to be done in terms of rule tweaks.

Aye, I think there are some easy fixes.

Only the captain speaks to the ref seems an easy one. Likewise booking a player for simulation even if you've awarded the foul.

And refs could help by enforcing things like dissent. The language footballers use towards the referees is disgraceful and speaks to a complete lack of respect and a cultural acceptance of bell-endish behaviour. That culture could be changed in a month by referees simply using their cards.

Agree with you that it's worse elsewhere. But I don't see why we accept footballers behaving like dicks.

56 minutes ago, TheJTS98 said:

I often wonder how footballers face their friends and families after games where they've rolled about on the floor (often while actually screaming) pretending to be mortally wounded in front of a live tv audience of millions of people. I'd die of shame.

Probably the same way the Rugby boys do after freezing their own spunk and using it as ice cubes.

15 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

Commentators decrying Johnny Foreigner for waving an imaginary card as the England centre half spits all over the refs face in a seething rage.

I genuinely don't get why refs aren't tougher on it.

6 players around me screaming in my face? Book them all. Tough if 3 of them already had yellows. They won't do it next week.

Surely, surely, they must see players are at it, constantly at it when falling over either from the slightest contact, or in anticipation of it? Defenders these days are worse than forwards. I just don't understand why refs award those ludicrous non fouls when their own senses have told them from birth that it requires a certain amount of force to throw a 13 stone be-muscled athlete to the floor.

2 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

6 players around me screaming in my face? Book them all. Tough if 3 of them already had yellows. They won't do it next week.

Surely, surely, they must see players are at it, constantly at it when falling over either from the slightest contact, or in anticipation of it? Defenders these days are worse than forwards. I just don't understand why refs award those ludicrous non fouls when their own senses have told them from birth that it requires a certain amount of force to throw a 13 stone be-muscled athlete to the floor.

After a slew of incidents where almost entire teams surrounded the officials, a couple of years ago hockey introduced guidance to umpires that only one player (usually the captain) should be able to approach them to "discuss" a decision. Anyone else who joins in gets a green card (2 min sin bin) straight away.

Oddly, people stopped surrounding the umpires...

2 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

They tried moving free kicks forward an extra ten yards.

Like most of these initiatives in football they begin well at the start of the season and are then binned by December. See handballs for example.

Shirt pulling at corners was another a few years ago.

44 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

After a slew of incidents where almost entire teams surrounded the officials, a couple of years ago hockey introduced guidance to umpires that only one player (usually the captain) should be able to approach them to "discuss" a decision. Anyone else who joins in gets a green card (2 min sin bin) straight away.

Oddly, people stopped surrounding the umpires...

Aye, stuff like this would be my preference, and the sin bin would be a good way of dealing with it but not removing a player from the entire match.

Lots of football fans hate rugby, but the players in that sport (all cheating b*****ds in their own way) seem to stay out of the refs face - and its not because they are all jolly good lads, its because rugby has devised outcomes that penalise them properly.

Guest TheJTS98
34 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Aye, stuff like this would be my preference, and the sin bin would be a good way of dealing with it but not removing a player from the entire match.

Lots of football fans hate rugby, but the players in that sport (all cheating b*****ds in their own way) seem to stay out of the refs face - and its not because they are all jolly good lads, its because rugby has devised outcomes that penalise them properly.

All sports have cheats, of course. One of the things you see a lot in rugby league is players squirming around on the floor pretending they're being held down too long to stop them releasing the ball in order to get the ref to give them a penalty. Sometimes it works.

But in general rugby has a much better approach to identifying problems and updating the rules. It'll never be perfect, but some of the suggestions we've seen in the last few posts on this thread are really simple ways football could be made better. It's baffling that the authorities never take action.

One thing that's notable in rugby league is that the mic'd-up refs sometimes engage in a bit of chat from players after a decision and give a brief explanation before essentially telling them to shut up and get on with it. And the players generally do. A combination of the presence of the mic and the culture being that you can't badger the ref. These league players are rough boys, it's not that they're naturally more respectful than fitba players. They just operate in an environment where behaving like a p***k isn't rewarded.