Sportsound Watch

2 minutes ago, accies1874 said:
14 hours ago, DA Baracus said:
Darryl Broadfoot really is a slimy wee apologist rat. 

What did he say?

Was just totally deflecting blame from the SFA and saying the trip was within the rules, then pretended not to get the point about how bad the optics were.

An odious performance from him.

3 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Malpas never won the league cup mate. You are spot on, just a bit too early for him.

Yes, I wondered.

Having now cheated and had a look, I see that Hearts won the Scottish Cup in 1956, as well as the League Cup in 1955, 1959,1960 and 1963.    Again, you'd have to assume that some players would have collected both medals.

Broadfoot is good on some occasions. He cuts through the bluster of folk like Macintyre, Stewart or English when it comes to refereeing decisions etc and just quotes the rules which is usually pretty effective.

Other times he's just a snivelling apologist who you want to punch through the radio.

Despite performing well on the programme generally, Michael Stewart piped up at the end to say Lewis Stevenson is the only non-OF player to have won both main Cups with the same club.  Of course, this 'fact' went unchallenged.
It must be wrong though as the Aberdeen side that won several Scottish Cups in the 80s, also won the League Cup in 1985.  I'd imagine a good few players were around for both.  I also wondered about Maurice Malpas, but I think the League Cups came too early.
There will definitely be 1980s Aberdeen players though and it wouldn't surprise me if there are others from earlier.
Aberdeen won a cup double in 1989/90. Here's the teams, you can see a good number played in both.

Screenshot_20210112_092717_com.android.chrome.jpegScreenshot_20210112_092744_com.android.chrome.jpeg

2 hours ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Malpas never won the league cup mate. You are spot on, just a bit too early for him.

Dave Narey however was still at the club when we won the cup in 94. Didn’t play in the final, not sure he was even stripped, but presume he got a medal. 

2 hours ago, Junior_Arab said:

Dave Narey however was still at the club when we won the cup in 94. Didn’t play in the final, not sure he was even stripped, but presume he got a medal. 

Was he?  Another good shout.

I'd assumed he was gone by then because he of course won another Cup medal elsewhere a few months later.

With plenty Aberdeen players managing it, as well as the earlier Hearts example, it's fair to say that Stewart was havering.

I'm not particularly having a go at him.  He'd just heard it from someone else and it sounded like a good fact in tribute to Stevenson.  It just bugs me when all those In the studio, including those surely old enough to remember the Aberdeen examples, let it go.

It's probably what I need to do too, but pedantry is such fun.

3 hours ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

I'd forgotten earlier that Aberdeen also won a cup double in 1985/86. A nice fact being that this was an Edinburgh double, and the 1989/90 version was a Glasgow double.

Screenshot_20210112_160442_com.android.chrome.jpegScreenshot_20210112_160520_com.android.chrome.jpeg

Stewart Mckimmie and Alex Mcleish in all 4. 

Edited by johnnydun

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

So there are non OF players who have two winners medals for each of the Cups with the same club.

Poor old Lewis Stevenson.

Yep, and I'll raise.  McLeish won the Scottish Cup five times and the League Cup twice with us.  McKimmie - three and three.  Miller - four and three.  

Michael Stewart, LOL.  

45 minutes ago, resk said:

Yep, and I'll raise.  McLeish won the Scottish Cup five times and the League Cup twice with us.  McKimmie - three and three.  Miller - four and three.  

Michael Stewart, LOL.  

:lol: It's on a colossal scale.

I was only thinking of the early to mid-80s sides, but it stretches back well into the 70s and forward to the mid-90s.  I was present at the last of them too, the one where Stephen Glass won a bicycle.

4 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

I'm sure the first non Celtic/Rangers players to do the Scottish and League Cup double with the same club must have been East Fife duo Willie Laird and Tommy Adams in 1938 and 1947 (47-48 season) respectively. All the more commendable as they were Division Two players on both occasions.

Christ, it gets better.

That is impressive given that a minor skirmish intervened between the wins.

12 minutes ago, afca32 said:

I know this thread isn't normally used to praise anything regarding Sportsound and I realise positivity towards Craig Levein is even rarer, but I actually quite enjoy listening to him.

One thing less acceptable than praising Sportsound is praising Craig Levein.

I agree though.  He's quite entertaining.

14 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Despite performing well on the programme generally, Michael Stewart piped up at the end to say Lewis Stevenson is the only non-OF player to have won both main Cups with the same club.  Of course, this 'fact' went unchallenged.

It must be wrong though as the Aberdeen side that won several Scottish Cups in the 80s, also won the League Cup in 1985.  I'd imagine a good few players were around for both.  I also wondered about Maurice Malpas, but I think the League Cups came too early.

There will definitely be 1980s Aberdeen players though and it wouldn't surprise me if there are others from earlier.

Given that Michael Stewart was 9 years old last time Aberdeen won the cup it's a forgivable mistake

The fact that it's not happened for a generation and the hearts players who did it were a generation before that shows that it would be remarkable even if not actually unique