Sportsound Watch

On 03/01/2021 at 15:46, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

Being offended is more prevalent than a certain illness currently. I cannot for the life of me work out why people want to waste their life looking for something to get uppity about. It is a  growing and tedious trend. Not sure how we move away from it as any criticism leaves you open to being labelled a  .......ist (fill in relevant letters).

You're literally the only one offended about anything here mate. Criticism leaves you open to disagreement about your criticism. If that upsets you don't post opinions. Take your snowflake bullshit elsewhere

55 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

You're literally the only one offended about anything here mate. Criticism leaves you open to disagreement about your criticism. If that upsets you don't post opinions. Take your snowflake bullshit elsewhere

You can't even get the snowflake bit right! Fake outrage indeed!

25 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

You're also the only one who seems offended by anything. Why are you being so defensive about someone saying maybe people criticise someone more because she's a woman in football?

I think they probably do. But you have missed my point which was wider than that. People go out their way to be offended now, they actively look for something in what is said/written to take offence. It is a feature of modern life and it is pathetic.

19 minutes ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

I think they probably do. But you have missed my point which was wider than that. People go out their way to be offended now, they actively look for something in what is said/written to take offence. It is a feature of modern life and it is pathetic.

But that's very rarely what happens, as shown in this case, is it?

Person A says something, person B asks if maybe this isn't really accurate/fair criticism and might be due to underlying biases of the observer.

Person A then says some combination of "people can't say anything anymore", "people go out their way (out their way now apparently including commenting on a recent post in a pretty widely used thread) to be offended now", "it's woke/PC brigade gone mad" and never really provide any evidence for that. They also seem to place a lot of emotional feelings on person B which far better describe their own reaction to being gently challenged.

The much larger issue seems to be people just really don't want to have to think about what they're saying or have their opinions criticised

Edited by Genuine Hibs Fan

8 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

But that's very rarely what happens, as shown in this case, is it?

Person A says something, person B asks if maybe this isn't really accurate and might be due to underlying biases of the observer.

Person A then says some combination of "people can't say anything anymore", "people go out their way (out their way now apparently including commenting on a recent post in a pretty widely used thread) to be offended now", "it's woke/PC brigade gone mad" and never really provide any evidence for that. The much larger issue seems to be people just really don't want to have to think about what they're saying or have their opinions criticised

However, if you just ignored the apparent bias, and got on with the really important issues in life like Covid, Child abuse, Syria, Uighurs and drug abuse, then you could actually make a positive worthwhile change, rather than spending time jumping on opinions about relatively marginal subjects. Only my opinion you understand.

5 minutes ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

However, if you just ignored the apparent bias (1), and got on with the really important issues in life like Covid, Child abuse, Syria, Uighurs and drug abuse, then you could actually make a positive worthwhile change(2.), rather than spending time jumping on opinions about relatively marginal subjects. Only my opinion you understand (3).

1. Why would we ignore apparent bias when it takes two minutes to respond to it?

2. How would we "get on with" challenging covid et al in a thread on a football website about bbc sportsound?

Why does one preclude the other? People are capable of doing more than one thing in a day so don't really take your point. This looks a lot like an excuse you could use for pretty much anything - why do x when you should really be concentrating on y. You're also much more likely to gain by changing someone's attitudes in a discussion around more say to day issues than by, for instance, emailing the CCP with a very angry letter about Uighers. Not that these issues shouldn't also be a part of public discourse.

You could argue that someone wanting to tackle child abuse might want to examine attitudes towards women but that's for another day. 

3. It is a terrible opinion I'm afraid 

3 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

1. Why would we ignore apparent bias when it takes two minutes to respond to it?

2. How would we "get on with" challenging covid et al in a thread on a football website about bbc sportsound?

Why does one preclude the other? People are capable of doing more than one thing in a day so don't really take your point. This looks a lot like an excuse you could use for pretty much anything - why do x when you should really be concentrating on y. You're also much more likely to gain by changing someone's attitudes in a discussion around more say to day issues than by, for instance, emailing the CCP with a very angry letter about Uighers. Not that these issues shouldn't also be a part of public discourse.

You could argue that someone wanting to tackle child abuse might want to examine attitudes towards women but that's for another day. 

3. It is a terrible opinion I'm afraid 

It's not a terrible opinion, it is just a different one to yours. I would argue you no one has enough time in their day to deal with all the important matters in our society. Your dismissal of my opinion as terrible actually supports my view that with people like yourself, if it doesn't sit well with your narrative then it has no value.  

If my opinion has no value then this 'debate' is a waste of my time and yours.

16 minutes ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

It's not a terrible opinion, it is just a different one to yours. I would argue you no one has enough time in their day to deal with all the important matters in our society. Your dismissal of my opinion as terrible actually supports my view that with people like yourself, if it doesn't sit well with your narrative then it has no value.  

If my opinion has no value then this 'debate' is a waste of my time and yours.

Interestingly we've now reached a genuine problem with the #discourse, that when someone's opinion is challenged or questioned they just get grumpy and say "well that's my opinion" as if that means anything at all.

I didn't present you a narrative, I asked you questions and pointed out the flaws in your mental analysis that people should only concentrate on "really important issues". You've refused to answer them and again are applying an emotional, illogical response which you are displaying, to someone else. But you're right, best to leave it there. I've just about finished some Anti-Covid pasta art which I hope meets your approval 

Edited by Genuine Hibs Fan

Truly to finish off. I did answer, I said there isn't enough time to deal with all the important matters and that means therefore individuals have to prioritise. It is only illogical and emotional because you have already written it off as terrible without taking the time to think whether it has any merit.

Enjoy your hobby!