Sportsound Watch

1 minute ago, paranoid android said:

Yep - doesn't sound good at all - hope he's ok. :(

just had a look at wikipedia,,,,

"In October 2011, McQueen was diagnosed with cancer of the larynx and started treatment at the James Cook University Hospital in Middlesbrough, near his home in North Yorkshire.[13]

sorry learn about this........always liked Gordon

1 minute ago, Caledonian1 said:

just had a look at wikipedia,,,,

"In October 2011, McQueen was diagnosed with cancer of the larynx and started treatment at the James Cook University Hospital in Middlesbrough, near his home in North Yorkshire.[13]

sorry learn about this........always liked Gordon

Jesus - brutal. :(

3 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

Aye Gordon's voice has been affected ever since. Put paid to his Sky career unfortunately :(

Cracker of an F-bomb from Mo Malpas in the Jim McLean tribute :D

Think it was pretty poor of Currie and Young not even asking how his health was or making any reference to it (even afterwards so that the listender not completely in the dark as to why McQueen was almost unintelligible.  It was an uncomfortable listen.

Missed the Malpas F bomb........was listening too

I only caught the tail end of the interview and expected them to say best wishes with the recovery and assumed there had been a brief discussion about it before the interview proper.

I suppose if he was treated years ago and that's just the way his voice is but he's otherwise fine then he maybe doesn't like it being brought up or they didn't think it relevant.

8 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

I only caught the tail end of the interview and expected them to say best wishes with the recovery and assumed there had been a brief discussion about it before the interview proper.

I suppose if he was treated years ago and that's just the way his voice is but he's otherwise fine then he maybe doesn't like it being brought up or they didn't think it relevant.

I got the impression Young and Currie were taken aback by how big Gordon sounded - I could be wrong. 

I got the impression Young and Currie were taken aback by how big Gordon sounded - I could be wrong. 
That was my impression too. It wasn't just how unintelligible Gordon McQueen was verbally, it was his cognitive ability which was really troubling. He couldn't seem to understand, despite repeated reminders, that he was supposed to give Chick Young a chance to guess each player/position; instead big Gordon kept jumping in and rattling off his team.

It was an uncomfortable listen so I switched off part way through. [emoji26]

1 minute ago, Archie McSquackle said:

We all know the pundits have favoured teams but the coverage should be presented in a neutral fashion. Miller (and Brian McLaughlin at Hearts) were beyond a joke yesterday.

They always are.

Its the same with that wee fanny Alan Preston, always banging on about Hearts and always seems to be on their matches (when they are in the Premiership, anyway) and spunking on the keyboard when they score.

Fat wee ex Rangers supporting p***k that he is.

5 minutes ago, mike rankine said:

That was my impression too. It wasn't just how unintelligible Gordon McQueen was verbally, it was his cognitive ability which was really troubling. He couldn't seem to understand, despite repeated reminders, that he was supposed to give Chick Young a chance to guess each player/position; instead big Gordon kept jumping in and rattling off his team.

It was an uncomfortable listen so I switched off part way through. emoji26.png

I think Young and Currie maybe should have realised, and just let Gordon list his team as he wanted, and take the discussion from there - it couldn't have been easy, though, and it was just quite sad to hear. 

6 hours ago, Green Day said:

They always are.

Its the same with that wee fanny Alan Preston, always banging on about Hearts and always seems to be on their matches (when they are in the Premiership, anyway) and spunking on the keyboard when they score.

Fat wee ex Rangers supporting p***k that he is.

TBF to Preston, he only does that when he's not touting the shite players/managers he represents for big moves.

'Rangers don't give away many penalties because teams don't spend much time in their box, the teams who have the best defending and spend most of the time on the attack will concede the least penalties' says a near breathless Steven Thompson. 

Richard Gordon points out that Dundee United and St Mirren have had very few penalties given against them this season in the league, which should in all good sense obliterate the lazy argument put forward by his pundit, but they somehow decide this actually confirms it. 

Hm. 

Other highlights include Richard Gordon googling if lightning can strike in the same place twice or not. Engrossing radio. 

4 hours ago, AndyDD said:

'Rangers don't give away many penalties because teams don't spend much time in their box, the teams who have the best defending and spend most of the time on the attack will concede the least penalties' says a near breathless Steven Thompson. 

Richard Gordon points out that Dundee United and St Mirren have had very few penalties given against them this season in the league, which should in all good sense obliterate the lazy argument put forward by his pundit, but they somehow decide this actually confirms it. 

Hm. 

Other highlights include Richard Gordon googling if lightning can strike in the same place twice or not. Engrossing radio. 

I think there's something really interesting in this. Gordon's response doesn't actually contradict what Thompson is saying.

Penalties are considered by most stat collectors to be random events in football. There are very few variables that effect what number of penalties any team will concede or receive in a given season, but clearly the most obvious one is the touches taken in the box / the number of touches your opponent takes in the box.

From last years Premier League season, an article showing a strong correlation between the two: https://www.footballcritic.com/features/is-manchester-uniteds-luck-with-penalties-masking-attacking-issuesc/1102

From this, we can confirm that the number of penalties a team concedes will be proportional to the number of touches they allow an opponent within their box. Given that Rangers are on course to absolutely shatter the existing record for goals conceded in a 38 game Premiership season, it's pretty obvious that they're limiting the touches an opponent gets in their box to historically low levels. That's probably why Rangers aren't conceding penalties.

So why are St Mirren and Dundee Utd so low?

Well, there is still room for variance here. As we said earlier, penalties are random events, so it's not impossible that some teams are just luckier than others.

I think an interesting question might be - is there a correlation between each teams style of play and the likelihood that they are awarded/concede penalties? To me, St Mirren and Dundee United are teams (along with Rangers) that have a good defensive shape. Whereas the teams at the top end of the penalties conceded table (Ross County, Celtic/Aberdeen/Hibs/Motherwell) maybe don't have that (with the exception of Hibs, who are defensively quite sound). Perhaps you're more likely to concede penalties when defending a transition than you are if you're defending in your shape?

20 minutes ago, G51 said:

I think there's something really interesting in this. Gordon's response doesn't actually contradict what Thompson is saying.

Penalties are considered by most stat collectors to be random events in football. There are very few variables that effect what number of penalties any team will concede or receive in a given season, but clearly the most obvious one is the touches taken in the box / the number of touches your opponent takes in the box.

From last years Premier League season, an article showing a strong correlation between the two: https://www.footballcritic.com/features/is-manchester-uniteds-luck-with-penalties-masking-attacking-issuesc/1102

From this, we can confirm that the number of penalties a team concedes will be proportional to the number of touches they allow an opponent within their box. Given that Rangers are on course to absolutely shatter the existing record for goals conceded in a 38 game Premiership season, it's pretty obvious that they're limiting the touches an opponent gets in their box to historically low levels. That's probably why Rangers aren't conceding penalties.

So why are St Mirren and Dundee Utd so low?

Well, there is still room for variance here. As we said earlier, penalties are random events, so it's not impossible that some teams are just luckier than others.

I think an interesting question might be - is there a correlation between each teams style of play and the likelihood that they are awarded/concede penalties? To me, St Mirren and Dundee United are teams (along with Rangers) that have a good defensive shape. Whereas the teams at the top end of the penalties conceded table (Ross County, Celtic/Aberdeen/Hibs/Motherwell) maybe don't have that (with the exception of Hibs, who are defensively quite sound). Perhaps you're more likely to concede penalties when defending a transition than you are if you're defending in your shape?

Transition? Transition? F*ck*ng transition? It’s a f*ck*ng counter attack!