Sportsound Watch

14 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Gordon Strachan really needs to just chill out.

He was on some odd rant about how Serbia were 'arrogant' last night. He also had a silly go at the 'propaganda' of playing out from the back. He capped off this strange performance by trying to sing the praises of his boy Chris Martin.

He just needs to calm down.

I’ve just listened to the podcast this morning and I felt that Gordon Strachan summed up what happened on Thursday night perfectly. No idea where you get the idea that it was an “odd rant”. What comes out of your post is your utter hatred for Gordon Strachan no matter what he does or says.

Just now, kingjoey said:

I’ve just listened to the podcast this morning and I felt that Gordon Strachan summed up what happened on Thursday night perfectly. No idea where you get the idea that it was an “odd rant”. What comes out of your post is your utter hatred for Gordon Strachan no matter what he does or says.

No one else agreed with him about Serbia being arrogant. Indeed it's not something I've seen mentioned anywhere else, including in analysis from multiple sources. It was definitely an odd rant.

His line about the 'propaganda' of playing it out from the back was just daft.

I don't hate Strachan. I just think he's a bit of a tit and needs to calm down.

6 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

No one else agreed with him about Serbia being arrogant. Indeed it's not something I've seen mentioned anywhere else, including in analysis from multiple sources. It was definitely an odd rant.

I have criticised him lots of times when he has actually gone off on a rant or made ridiculous statements like the height of Scottish people holding us back. However I just think that everything he said last night was more than reasonable. I definitely agree on his statement about the propaganda of playing it out from the back. It seems to me that you can only be considered a “big team” if you continually put yourselves under unnecessary pressure by playing a three yard pass to a defender in your box when he is going to be immediately pressed, come hell or high water. Anyway, I’ll agree to disagree.

Edited by kingjoey

I thought the panel misread what he meant by arrogant. I took Strachan to mean that the Serbians thought before hand that the game would be a scoosh so did not take Scotland seriously. Not that the Serbian team played with arrogance. That's what I took from it anyway and was puzzled at those decrying him.

18 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

Sportsound don't seem to have realised that we don't need a win to top the Nations League group, just two points will do as we have the head to head against the Czechs.

I caught the end of that conversation. 

Did they not say it was only the best 2 nations league winners that get into the play offs for the world cup? 

Admittedly don't understand as much of the nation's league - world cup qualification setup but know it's not a direct qualification like Euros.

50 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

Sportsound don't seem to have realised that we don't need a win to top the Nations League group, just two points will do as we have the head to head against the Czechs.

They're still acting like it's massively confusing and that it's somehow funny or endearing to pretend to not get it.

43 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

Did they not say it was only the best 2 nations league winners that get into the play offs for the world cup? 

Admittedly don't understand as much of the nation's league - world cup qualification setup but know it's not a direct qualification like Euros.

Think that's correct, top two NL winners who don't finish 1st or 2nd in the group. At the moment the group A winners are going to be Portugal, Belgium, Spain, Poland - so if they finish top 2 then we'll be in the WC play-offs if we finish 3rd. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020–21_UEFA_Nations_League#Overall_ranking

12 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

They're still acting like it's massively confusing and that it's somehow funny or endearing to pretend to not get it.

It's not even anything to do with the NL format though, it's just basic group stage maths and UEFA tiebreakers.

Edited by Ginaro

2 hours ago, Ginaro said:

I thought the whole NL format was confusing about a year ago.................until I did something radical and read about it - took about 5 minutes to work it out.

Now I am just a fan, you would think that guys who are paid to fucking well know these things would be able to do the same thing?

I have stopped listening to Sportsound, I feel I get my vicarious "they are shite" fix by watching this thread and my life is enhanced..................

There were several Serbian players mouthing off about how they were going to beat us easily and so on.

I'd say comments like this from the Serbia camp were pretty arrogant tbh:

'Scotland will be no problem. We are going through. I know this for sure. I've watched Scotland play and I am really not worried about them at all. I know we have better players than them.'

'But I really believe we will beat Scotland. We have a better team, we are more experienced than them.'

'Even if we were playing the game in Glasgow, instead of Belgrade, I would be equally optimistic.'

'They are ready for the effort needed in a match like this. But I also believe we are better and we will qualify for the European Championship'

The Serbian media are slaughtering the likes of Tadic and their manager for Tadic 'acting like he was still at Ajax' with the way he tried to play as well.

Just a bizarre rant on Strachan, not by Strachan, for once.

Serbia have literally one good player.  That Milinkovic-Savic.  If Tadic was any good, he wouldn't be playing in the Dutch league.  The boy at Real doesn't get a sniff.

Very cocky from them considering the above.  Half of their team couldn't pass the ball the other night.  They're a fucking gang.