Sportsound Watch

2 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

She has been fronting digital content for about a year for BBC Scotland  sport doing the hockey.

They are a tiny team so she probably just got asked to front it out of necessity.

From there it's hardly a huge leap to being asked to go and cover a game. I highly doubt there is any interview process or a contract. She will be freelance and getting about 100 quid for it. She might even be doing it on a trial basis 

This. 

25 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

The likes of Billy Dodds, James McFadden and the like will have been interviewed by folk from the BBC probably at least every other week for much of their career so they'd undoubtedly build a rapport with some these journalists who'll give them a foot in the door when their football careers come to an end.  Not that I agree with that of course - Pat Bonnar's knowledge of everything outwith Celtic is pretty hopeless whenever I've listened to him but you can understand how it happens.

There will be a "knowledge of the industry' area in the job spec that gives them a solid route in as well. I don't particularly agree that being an ex-player is sufficient grounds to be a credible pundit either but those treating it as a like for like situation with a lay person walking in off the street and getting a journalism/broadcast role are just wrong. 

1 minute ago, Stan Hope said:

exactly, she got that post because she has nice tits, some higher up need to see them before she can make the step up and interview business woman Ann Budge.

Fucks sake, another Pet Jeden sock.................

32 minutes ago, ArabAuslander said:

That's quite normal tbh. On Sportsound their uite stretched on OAM, so to give her a game is more than normal. If she'd been working for STV for that amount of time she'd be on TV at least 3 times a week. 

She's also a pretty good journalist and does a lot of the online stuff. Give it a break.

I’m sure there are loads of pretty good journalists out there. It just surprises me that someone went straight from school to Production Assistant and then onto getting a job on OAM in a very short time. I would have thought these jobs would be like hens teeth and their would be a line of suitable graduates desperate for them. 

Give it a break? It’s just a discussion. Good luck to her.

46 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

just as a show of hands. What were other people working as within two years of leaving school?

One of my mates was down in London at Vue's Head Office, attending movie premieres and sorting out promos and all that shite, within a few years of leaving school.

Weirdly enough I don't think he had a bunch of weirdos on a forum posting screenshots of his LinkedIn profile and talking about his education/qualifications.

9 hours ago, LiviLion said:

One of my mates was down in London at Vue's Head Office, attending movie premieres and sorting out promos and all that shite, within a few years of leaving school.

Weirdly enough I don't think he had a bunch of weirdos on a forum posting screenshots of his LinkedIn profile and talking about his education/qualifications.

For me, it’s remarkable as a ‘BBC Scotland (sport) recruitment and selection’ thing; a ‘fairness’ thing. If your pal was just out of school and was now broadcasting, this would also be remarkable. It’s great that women have managed to get into male-dominated roles in BBC Sport in recent years. The more women’s prospects improve in the workplace the better it’ll be. However, given the number of people (both men and women) going to uni to do digital media degrees, it makes me wonder how a person pretty much straight out of school got the job ahead other people with better qualifications and experience. As she got the job I can either take it as read that she is exceptional or I can doubt the BBC. Due to my dislike of BBC Scotland especially its sports team, I chose to doubt it. Apologies for that. Maybe I should be less cynical.

9 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Have put in a FOISA for her BBC personnel file. Will report back when soon.

If it’s anything like their Complaints procedure then you’ll be disappointed.

Edited by Scary Bear

Honestly, reading threads like this, it really does hit home why a lot of Women are afraid to go into jobs in Media and Sports Journalism.

Can 100% guarantee that if a 20 year old guy was reporting on the game it wouldn't even be up for discussion on here.

A lot of yous have to get in the fucking sea.

5 hours ago, ArabAuslander said:

Honestly, reading threads like this, it really does hit home why a lot of Women are afraid to go into jobs in Media and Sports Journalism.

Can 100% guarantee that if a 20 year old guy was reporting on the game it wouldn't even be up for discussion on here.

A lot of yous have to get in the fucking sea.

I will be reading some of their future posts in a new light.