Sportsound Watch

8 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

I'm guessing the majority of (or a good number) people listening on the radio are doing so because they are too busy to sit and watch the game (at work, in the car etc). Therefore a good number of the audience are dipping in and out of the coverage so the commentators regularly give the score for people prone to missing chunks of the game.

It’s way more than regular though, it’s ridiculous and once you notice that the score is mentioned every 45 seconds or so, you can barely listen any more. 

Who hasn’t got a smart phone with an app where you can check the score these days? Nobody is listening for the score any more. 

Sorry, I am and I'm sure many others are too. I'm normally pottering about the house or garden when listening and will sometimes move away from the radio to get something so like regular updates but I agree some of the presenters go the other way and say it almost constantly.
Yes, I could get my phone out but I'd prefer if the radio got the balance right and I didn't have to (which I think Open All Mics does pretty well).

I'm not going to defend OAM and the absurdities of excited pundits popping up to tell you something has happened, while somehow failing to impart the essential bits of information about it, because it drives me mad.

Very frequent scoreline updates during commentary are entirely appropriate though.  Nobody should object to that.  

17 hours ago, Swami said:

It’s way more than regular though, it’s ridiculous and once you notice that the score is mentioned every 45 seconds or so, you can barely listen any more. 

Who hasn’t got a smart phone with an app where you can check the score these days? Nobody is listening for the score any more. 

That's a daft post.

People catch it in snippets while doing such other things such as driving.  Looking it up on a phone defeats the purpose of listening at all.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

Not sure it belongs here but it was absolutely tragic that they sent along one of the BBC Scotland football reporters to almost beg for fans to be allowed in for the bigot fest at the weekend, with the dick crying that "Surely it's safer for fans in a 60k stadium than going to pubs or others folk's houses to watch it!".

I’m not sure if people on here are saying that they like lots of score updates during a commentary or if they find them a distraction. Personally I can’t get enough score updates, because you’re always liable to go away from the commentary from time to time and you need to know the score when you get back to it.

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

I’m not sure if people on here are saying that they like lots of score updates during a commentary or if they find them a distraction. Personally I can’t get enough score updates, because you’re always liable to go away from the commentary from time to time and you need to know the score when you get back to it.

That would be my take on it too.

You've got up be the only one who wants fewer updates, surely?

4 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Not sure it belongs here but it was absolutely tragic that they sent along one of the BBC Scotland football reporters to almost beg for fans to be allowed in for the bigot fest at the weekend, with the dick crying that "Surely it's safer for fans in a 60k stadium than going to pubs or others folk's houses to watch it!".

He was stirring it.

The media don’t trust the fans of the twisted sisters.

Last nights classic was Richard Gordon telling everyone the Scotland under 21s would be unlikely to be the best runner up if they did not win their last 2 games in the qualifiers so would join the 8 other runners up in the play offs. He then correctly pointed out that the tournament is split in two with the group stages in the spring international break before the knock out stage is in late May and early June

Tom English corrected him but he was having none of it , when these play off games would have been played is a mystery . The games next month are the matches that were postponed in the spring and they take up the play off dates. 

As per the UEFA announcement in the summer its the 9 group winners and best 5 runners up that qualify.  We are currently 8th of the 9 teams currently in second place but that position will only really be clear with 1 game to go as some teams have 3 matches remaining just now and others only 1 or 2. 

https://www.uefa.com/under21/news/025e-0facadc7c0b3-fd20d45f3e7c-1000--new-format-and-schedule/?iv=true

It was Chris McLaughlin. To compound his stupidity, he followed up with a demand that schools should be closed, but Celtic vs Rangers should have a crowd. Lazy and idiotic

15 hours ago, kingjoey said:

I've always felt that constant repetition of score and minutes played during commentary was indicative of a boring game with little to describe.

30 minutes ago, Raidernation said:

I have no idea what my comment was referring to, and I’m not about to trawl back many pages to find out.

Feel free to enlighten me if it’s important

You were absolutely certain the Old Firm would withdraw their players from the squad. Number of players "withdrawn" - zero.

"The Old Firm* game more than any other will miss crowds"

f**k

Right

Off

McIntyre ya *** loving b*****d

eta think it was Charlie Adam, but Mcintyre is still a *** c**t

Edited by Green Day