Sportsound Watch

8 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Sometimes I think Rangers did the right thing in banning the BBC. The reasons were obviously ludicrous but even then, I don't feel like they've lost out.

I think that a lot of football fans have changed their habits as well - for me (If I wasnt at Easter Road) the radio would be on outside if I was in the garden etc, listen to all their nonsense and the scores etc.

But their stuff with Hearts (I know, I know i am a biased Hibby) in the summer was awful and the number of hot takes on health issues by these thickos is stunning.

I listen to OTB then turn off.

If some decent commercial operator made a play, then they might have a good chance of picking up listeners lost to the BBC.

8 hours ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Going to start a tally to keep track of the amount of times Liam McLeod tells listeners what the score is during his broadcasts.

I'm hearing it was particularly bad on Thursday.

It's Scotland 0-0 Israel
With 15 minutes to go, it's Scotland 0-0 Israel
With 76 minutes on the clock, it's Scotland 0-0 Israel
As we enter the final 10 minutes, it's Scotland 0-0 Israel

I think compiling these statistics will be worth the time and effort.

Another poster made the very same point on another thread recently. And my reply was basically that it’s far better for the commentator to state the scoreline frequently rather than hardly ever.....mainly for the benefit of newly tuned-in listeners.

ETA the previous comment was actually on page 680 of this thread

Edited by A96

17 hours ago, Andy_K_97 said:

A fantastic bit of Accidental Partridge from Chick today who claimed that on the weekend of John Lennon's 80th birthday if fans were allowed they should have been singing "all we are saying is give us a goal" to the tune of Give Peace A Chance. Cringe-inducing patter of the highest level.

I may have misheard but didn’t someone, possibly McCann, attempt to be clever by telling Chick to Let It Be but instead said Let It Go.

12 minutes ago, Oscar P said:

I may have misheard but didn’t someone, possibly McCann, attempt to be clever by telling Chick to Let It Be but instead said Let It Go.

I believe you're right, I immediately tried to switch my mind off to numb it from such tedious patter, but it didn't work. Stupid radio.

40 minutes ago, Oscar P said:

I heard that but couldn’t make sense of it, I never thought of Let it Be.

Actually my pet hate on open all mics is when the halfwitted commentator spraffs about the goals he’s just seen then takes ages to say what teams actually scored.  It’s not like we’ve an encyclopaedic knowledge of ever player in Scotland.

Miller:

“Goal, Goal.  Oh what a magnificent goal that was.  The ball came fizzing into the box.  The young lad Watkins turned his man, smashed it into the corner.  It hits the post and he’s there again for a rebound.  Reminds me of the time I did something similar for Aberdeen back in 1985 when we were playing Hearts.  Terrific work by the young lad.  Dunno who it was with the cross.  Might have been Armstrong.  Is it Armstrong?  The number 8?  Anyway doesn’t matter.  Great ball in.  Watkins left the two defenders marking him for dead.  Will do his confidence the world of good.  Especially with his neat touch at the rebound.”

Gordon:

”I never knew you scored against Hearts in 1985 Willie.  Talk us through that.”

Miller:

Speaks for 5 more mins about some goal with shitey back and forth about some goal he scored 15 years ago before mentioning that Motherwell have just scored against Kilmarnock.

Actually my pet hate on open all mics is when the halfwitted commentator spraffs about the goals he’s just seen then takes ages to say what teams actually scored.  It’s not like we’ve an encyclopaedic knowledge of ever player in Scotland.

Miller:

“Goal, Goal.  Oh what a magnificent goal that was.  The ball came fizzing into the box.  The young lad Watkins turned his man, smashed it into the corner.  It hits the post and he’s there again for a rebound.  Reminds me of the time I did something similar for Aberdeen back in 1985 when we were playing Hearts.  Terrific work by the young lad.  Dunno who it was with the cross.  Might have been Armstrong.  Is it Armstrong?  The number 8?  Anyway doesn’t matter.  Great ball in.  Watkins left the two defenders marking him for dead.  Will do his confidence the world of good.  Especially with his neat touch at the rebound.”

Gordon:

Miller:

Speaks for 5 more mins about some goal with shitey back and forth about some goal he scored 15 years ago before mentioning that Motherwell have just scored against Kilmarnock.

Absolutely this.

It's like they lose all perspective in relation to other people. They presume everyone listening remembers which game they're at.

It should be drilled in to them, to interrupt with the following :

Penalty for motherwell...

Goal for Aberdeen...

Ref card for killie...

- and then give the details. But if they follow that simple rule the whole show would be improved.

4 hours ago, Lofarl said:

Miller:

Gordon:

Miller:

I agree wholeheartedly with the first paragraph of that post.

The rest , however , is absolute shite.  

9 hours ago, Lofarl said:

Miller:

Gordon:

Miller:

Good move from Watkins on his debut, new signing?

On 11/10/2020 at 14:53, Lofarl said:

Miller:

Gordon:

Miller:

This is an excellent post, but I'm enjoying the notion of Willie Miller scoring a goal in 2005.

Liam McLeod stated the scoreline 56 times during the Scotland v Slovakia match. 

The first instance was in the 5th minute when he declared "It's Scotland 0-0 Slovakia". Incredibly there was an even split between scoreline updates with 28 reminders in each half.

At times there was a 5 minute break between updates and at other times he told us the score on 3 separate occasions within a 2 minutes period.

I quite enjoy this aspect of his commentary and it was a fun drinking game to play.

On 11/10/2020 at 14:53, Lofarl said:

Miller:

Gordon:

Miller:

Very odd to pick on Miller for this. 

Preston / Chick Young / Bonner are all much worse for this.

Alan Preston spends 10 minutes on some pointless trivia question before saying anything about the game he is at. Thank f**k Hearts are down as he was insufferable "commentating" on Hearts games.

Chick Young is and always has been a simpleton. Usually he will spend a few minutes saying nothing much at all (whilst making out something amazing has happened) only to say "the shot went about 10 feet wide".

Bonner doesn't know any player names out with Celtic so he truly can't accurately comment on any incident.

I recall when David begg retired he had a piece on about his career saying that someone once told him tuned in during a  game once and that he never mentioned the scoreline. 

He said he listened back and actually he had given the score on numerous occasions, and said it was the one thing he was conscious of doing from then on. 

Probably thats where the current commentators get it from

I'm guessing the majority of (or a good number) people listening on the radio are doing so because they are too busy to sit and watch the game (at work, in the car etc). Therefore a good number of the audience are dipping in and out of the coverage so the commentators regularly give the score for people prone to missing chunks of the game.