Sportsound Watch

Listened to the podcast that had Jonathan Obika and James McFadden as guests, as I was quite interested to hear from Obika about his time in Scottish Football. He might as well not have bothered travelling up to Pacific Quay at all, he got about 7 minutes of airtime, mainly talking about his time at Spurs. I don’t listen regularly but is that the normal structure of the show? I fast forwarded a bit to see if he came back on but all I heard was Levein and English. 

21 hours ago, kingjoey said:

And English came back by saying it wasn't him that was making it all about Hearts, but Broadfoot.

English used the same line a week or two ago as well, after spending  the previous minutes of the show going on about Hearts. He really doesn't do irony does he?

Edited by Tannadeechee

2 hours ago, Tannadeechee said:

English used the same line a week or two ago as well, after spending  the previous minutes of the show going on about Hearts. He really doesn't do irony does he?

The JRG statement only mentioned one male club by name. A little bit rich of Broadfoot to go down the all about Hearts route to denigrate the argument when a statement, I assume he helped craft, specifically singled out Hearts.

Personally, I'm not foaming at the mouth on the decision, just don't understand why they couldn't have let Hearts carry on training and avoid more tedious arguments.

10 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Listened to the podcast that had Jonathan Obika and James McFadden as guests, as I was quite interested to hear from Obika about his time in Scottish Football. He might as well not have bothered travelling up to Pacific Quay at all, he got about 7 minutes of airtime, mainly talking about his time at Spurs.

We got the standard 'What did you know about Scottish football when you heard [insert diddy club] were interested in you?' from McIntyre.

.....and the standard reply, "well obviously I knew about rangers and celtic, but I didn't know anything about the other teams."

I am still waiting for the first one of these guys to say anything different...........e.g. "I always put on BBC Alba on a Friday night if they're showing Alloa'

Edited by tarapoa

30 minutes ago, Jackie Chiles said:

The JRG statement only mentioned one male club by name. A little bit rich of Broadfoot to go down the all about Hearts route to denigrate the argument when a statement, I assume he helped craft, specifically singled out Hearts.

Personally, I'm not foaming at the mouth on the decision, just don't understand why they couldn't have let Hearts carry on training and avoid more tedious arguments.

The actual statement didn't mention Hearts at all. The guidance notes provided to give additional information to journalists noted that Hearts had been asked to pause their training - this was because they were the only lower league side that had already started training, compared to several others who were planning to start training this week but hadn't done so yet. If, say, Dundee had also been training then the guidance notes would also have mentioned them.

Edited by craigkillie

I'm now convinced English is just arguing in bad faith on these issues. He can't seriously believe everything he's saying is valid.

The harping on about Ian Maxwell saying all of football was paused, pretty obvious what he meant Tom. The petulance of 'it's YOU that's fixated with Hearts, Darryl!', the continual framing of the argument as this being a direct action against Hearts, and not a whole host of clubs and the refusal to acknowledge that there is clear reasons why the Premiership is being treated differently to all other football (not just Hearts).

I genuinely don't believe he's as stupid as he's coming across just now. I just don't really understand what his game is.

The decision to tell clubs not to train came about after the government told the SPFL to get its house in order - that's a ridder for the SPFL, surely.

The SPFL were told to get their house in order after breaches by Aberdeen and Celtic players.

Aberdeen and Celtic are still allowed to train despite the breaches - that's fucked up. 

Hull City and Millwall training at the Oriam is also fucked up. 

44 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

The petulance of 'it's YOU that's fixated with Hearts, Darryl!',

That bit honestly sounded like something from a primary school playground.

“Why do you always bring it back to Hearts Tom?”

”I don’t bring it back to Hearts. Are you saying I fancy Anne Budge? I don’t fancy Anne Budge, YOU do! YOU fancy Anne Budge! Darryl fancies Anne Budge! Everybody! Did you hear that, everybody? Darryl fancies Anne! Darryl & successful businesswoman Anne Budge up a tree...!” 

41 minutes ago, paranoid android said:

The decision to tell clubs not to train came about after the government told the SPFL to get its house in order - that's a ridder for the SPFL, surely.

The SPFL were told to get their house in order after breaches by Aberdeen and Celtic players.

Aberdeen and Celtic are still allowed to train despite the breaches - that's fucked up. 

It is but Hull and Millwall are not the SPFLs concern. 

If they had a breach then the SPFL wouldn't be stopped. 

Could also be considered that Hull and Millwall have proven to be able to follow the rules, Scottish clubs haven't. 

43 minutes ago, paranoid android said:

Its surely good news for Oriam, at least they are going to make a few quid out of the situation?

As to the Aberdeen and Celtic breaches, the specific players involved have been treated differently by these clubs, I dont think you can just use the broad brush of !Aberdeen and Celtic are still allowed to train"........

Listened for a laugh to Loser Levein and third rate shock jock English .

To cite their much beloved leader / “ special friend” , it beggars belief or I am incredulous that they can present such a flimsy case in Hearts’ defence .  English’s feeble lines are tedious and without substance. Levein is just a laughing stock but his lack of contrition tells you what any reasonable person can see, thereby ruling out all Hearts fans.

Tragic Twosome.

21 minutes ago, Green Day said:

Its surely good news for Oriam, at least they are going to make a few quid out of the situation?

As to the Aberdeen and Celtic breaches, the specific players involved have been treated differently by these clubs, I dont think you can just use the broad brush of !Aberdeen and Celtic are still allowed to train"........

I think you can.

Essentially, if the Aberdeen and Celtic players hadn't breached. we'd all be allowed to train.

Embarrassing for the SPFL that Leitch had to tell them to get their house in order - I think that's been missed. 

Edited by paranoid android

3 minutes ago, paranoid android said:

I think you can.

Essentially, if the Aberdeen and Celtic players hadn't breached. we'd all be allowed to train.

Embarrassing for the SPFL that Leitch had to tell them to get their house in order - I think that's been missed. 

It's been missed that this is a hugely embarrassing episode for Scottish football? You sure?

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

The actual statement didn't mention Hearts at all. The guidance notes provided to give additional information to journalists noted that Hearts had been asked to pause their training - this was because they were the only lower league side that had already started training, compared to several others who were planning to start training this week but hadn't done so yet. If, say, Dundee had also been training then the guidance notes would also have mentioned them.

True that this was in the guidance notes but I didn't see it mentioned that it was purely just for journalists.

Point is ,hearts were specifically impacted,  so bit bizarre the all about Hearts angle.

I still don't see the risk of letting Hearts carry on training and avoiding this farce. If there is a good argument for it then all I'm all ears.

20 hours ago, Dandiest Don said:

I'm sure he was asked about it on his first appearance on sportsound a few weeks ago and pretty much absolved himself of all blame. He said injuries were the main factor and he was sure he would of got them up the table if he wasn't sacked

This. He's been asked at least once before . Injuries allied to a "young, naive" squad were the excuses given. Nothing to do with tactics and or shambolic recruitment.

1 minute ago, mozam76 said:

This. He's been asked at least once before . Injuries allied to a "young, naive" squad were the excuses given. Nothing to do with tactics and or shambolic recruitment.

Injuries were a factor in the dip of form, that is undeniable (losing both your centre halves, best midfielder and best attacker) but not to the extent of how bad it got. Ultimately his recruitment, tactics and coaching were sh1te and he was right to be punted. Albeit, should have been after the cup final.

4 minutes ago, Jackie Chiles said:

True that this was in the guidance notes but I didn't see it mentioned that it was purely just for journalists.

Point is ,hearts were specifically impacted,  so bit bizarre the all about Hearts angle.

I still don't see the risk of letting Hearts carry on training and avoiding this farce. If there is a good argument for it then all I'm all ears.

The questions were repeatedly 'why did you do this to Hearts?', when they are clearly not the only ones impacted.

Any club wanting to start training this past week was impacted.