Sportsound Watch

48 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

It involves counting to five, and counting to three at the same time.  It’s no wonder Biscuits “Allan” Preston struggled.  

Divide five by three and carry the half time break

2 hours ago, Rodhull said:

My favourite bit was when the commentator tried to remember the third change Motherwell had made to their starting lineup and Preston cheerfully suggested a Dundee Utd player was the said name.

These radio guys talking about the number of changes a team have made really annoys me - if we're playing Motherwell at Rugby Park and I'm trying to find out their team, I want to find out what their team is, not some cryptic puzzle based on me requiring knowledge of who they had last week.

"Kilmarnock name an unchanged line-up from their 3-0 victory over St Mirren while Motherwell make two changes from the side which drew 1-1 with Hamilton, with Long and Hylton in for Watt and Seedorf" followed by 2 minutes of waffle before they sometimes (but not always) actually list the team. Less important now with the days of social media, but it used to infuriate me back in the day when you had to rely on the radio for the team.

16 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

These radio guys talking about the number of changes a team have made really annoys me - if we're playing Motherwell at Rugby Park and I'm trying to find out their team, I want to find out what their team is, not some cryptic puzzle based on me requiring knowledge of who they had last week.

"Kilmarnock name an unchanged line-up from their 3-0 victory over St Mirren while Motherwell make two changes from the side which drew 1-1 with Hamilton, with Long and Hylton in for Watt and Seedorf" followed by 2 minutes of waffle before they sometimes (but not always) actually list the team. Less important now with the days of social media, but it used to infuriate me back in the day when you had to rely on the radio for the team.

That's always got on my tits as well. Surely the sensible thing to do is give the teams and THEN comment on the changes as a jump off for some comments or predictions about the logic behind changes etc. A much more engaging way of doing things as I'm sure I'm not the only one who zones out with the way they're doing things just now until they get to the team

The Associated Press recorded the wrong name against Steven McGarry’s number, so although he played every week the same reporters would report that there was a change and he was coming into the team.  Every week.  No-one ever said, but he played last week.

This is beyond the power of Sportsound, but it really annoys me that you can't listen to Sportsound (except maybe on Saturdays) through the BBC Sounds app, especially considering the BBC Sport app doesn't let you listen to anything in the background.

Just means I'll be watching the CL and occasionally checking the scores.

11 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

This is beyond the power of Sportsound, but it really annoys me that you can't listen to Sportsound (except maybe on Saturdays) through the BBC Sounds app, especially considering the BBC Sport app doesn't let you listen to anything in the background.

If it isn’t on sounds you can usually get it via the Scottish Sport page on the BBCwebsite. 

15 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

I was tearing my hair out with this on Sunday. The worst bit was that it had the heading on the Rangers vs St Mirren live text page as “Listen Live: Rangers vs St Mirren” then had the “Loudspeaker” icon button. When you clicked on that you got that Jane woman and Tom bloody English talking to some egg chaser. Once every 15 minutes or so they’d ask Billy Dodds for a 2 minute update from Ibrox. I understand it’s “Sportsound” so they’re quite entitled to cover other sports, but to advertise the programme as live coverage of Rangers vs St Mirren with links from the live feed page was downright misleading. 

Edited by Junior_Arab

Pat bonnar tried to make a funny about motherwell and their cardboard cut outs at fir park, and how there were more away fans than home ones.

The actual funny part was when Richard Gordon pointed out that it's a serious initiative relating to 'missing people' - and not away fans.

I laughed a lot.

On 09/08/2020 at 15:59, craigkillie said:

Gerry Davis was the king of this, (80s bloke on Sportsound who did Aberdeen games), Aberdeen havent played for 3 weeks or somesuch and all he'd say would be Aberdeen make 1 change, Hewitt comes in for McGhee and then never ever mention what the actual team was.

Bugged the tits out of me as  a youngster.

8 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Who was the footballer on tonight defending the Aberdeen players?

I only heard 10 mins but the guy was definitely going too far. Tom English issued him a bit of a telt in the bit i heard.

Think his name was first name was Richard.

Foster

On 12/08/2020 at 21:07, Junior Pub League said:

Gerry Davis was the king of this, (80s bloke on Sportsound who did Aberdeen games), Aberdeen havent played for 3 weeks or somesuch and all he'd say would be Aberdeen make 1 change, Hewitt comes in for McGhee and then never ever mention what the actual team was.

Bugged the tits out of me as  a youngster.

The Dandies had a pretty predictable team

5 hours ago, pandarilla said:

Who was the footballer on tonight defending the Aberdeen players?

I only heard 10 mins but the guy was definitely going too far. Tom English issued him a bit of a telt in the bit i heard.

Think his name was first name was Richard.

Richard Foster showed tonight that any manager signing him should get a pay rise, because of the grief that Foster is going to give him. Prof Jason Leitch was on, and Foster wouldn’t accept anything he said without it being explained to him as if he were two years old. His view on the Aberdeen players was incredible. Basically, because he knows some of them, they only went out on that Saturday night because the club hadn’t explained to them properly what rules they were living under. In Foster’s mind all footballers are intelligent and couldn’t misunderstand , or just ignore instructions given to them, the instructions must be wrong. He came across as if you told him that black isn’t white he wouldn’t accept it unless you sat him down and went over why that was the case in great detail, and showed him lots of examples.

And Tom English went off on one again about Hearts having to stop training for 10 days, and tried to get Jason Leitch to back him up, which he obviously didn’t do.

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

Ricky Foster taking on Jason Leitch about the virus was a highlight of the last few months tbh :lol:

It was when he tried to teach Jason Leitch what the quarantine period should be, that was my highlight. Also Foster totally unwilling to blame the Aberdeen players, it’s the clubs fault for not explaining the rules properly. Totally arrogant.

3 hours ago, kingjoey said:

Richard Foster showed tonight that any manager signing him should get a pay rise, because of the grief that Foster is going to give him.

He signed for Partick.