Sportsound Watch

1 minute ago, Wile E Coyote said:

Cowan was basically neutered when he got his suspension for his article on ladies football

I've seen a couple of people cite that.

I'd kind of stopped listening to OTB religiously by then.  I loved it early on, partly because of its openly anti-OF stance.  Does that article mark a clear turning point then, do you think?

I see his decline as more gradual, but I've probably not been paying close enough attention.

22 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

No doubt Random and Tree House will be delighted to hear from today’s podcast that Neil McCann thinks that Calum Davidson will have done a great job this season if he keeps St Johnstone in the Premiership. McCann obviously doesn’t have a bitter bone in his body.

At least St. Johnstone got a mention, it was touch & go for the other clubs too.

18 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I'd kind of stopped listening to OTB religiously by then.  I loved it early on, partly because of its openly anti-OF stance.  Does that article mark a clear turning point then, do you think?

I see his decline as more gradual, but I've probably not been paying close enough attention.

Yes I think its a turning point. The reaction to the article was so strong there was a real chance he could have got sacked. Cowan realised that and he then followed the BBC line, nothing controversial and talk up the Old Firm at every opportunity

The last straw for me was a good few years back when for some reason Cowan was reading out the day's results on OTB and he didn't know how to pronounce "Rothes". The decent thing to do would be a self-deprecating apology, but he sneered it off with an air of "who cares anyway, fkin teuchters".

p***k.

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

No doubt Random and Tree House will be delighted to hear from today’s podcast that Neil McCann thinks that Calum Davidson will have done a great job this season if he keeps St Johnstone in the Premiership. McCann obviously doesn’t have a bitter bone in his body.

I've posted this before but, for some reason, and against all evidence, the BBC Scotland pundits, and Scottish media in general, seem to think that St Johnstone are continually 'punching above their weight' and that survival is a success season for them.

In reality, Premiership is very much St Johnstone's 'weight', and not making top six is a disappointment for them.

It seems to be that because they get a few less fans than other clubs they are somehow an over achieving minnow. Total nonsense of course.

It's mental how many folk equate average attendance to how 'big' or otherwise a club should be.

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

As Wile E Coyote said, absolutely.

He's massive up their arse now. Almost every single feature has to feature Celtic and Sevco in some way. The team of the week always starts off with former Celtic, Sevco and/or Rangers players.

He takes every opportunity to talk about them and about how he watched their European games and how he wants them to win.

He's fully on message and, whilst at first it seemed a bit forced at times, he's now truly on board and believes the pish.

Edited by DA Baracus

Cowan is one of those that offers nothing original now.  He is well past his sell by date.  On/Off the Ball has also gone off the boil.  Time to replace it, get some of the younger presenters from the football podcasts and let them bring it into the 21st century.

Be careful what you wish for. I personally like Cowan (But am not a regular listener to OtB admittedly) and whilst I can appreciate that objectively, he's utter shite, he's still a hell of a lot better than the vast vast majority of options that stink out the BBC offices.

They have Steven Thompson as a presenter FFS.

24 minutes ago, Hammyton said:

Cowan is one of those that offers nothing original now.  He is well past his sell by date.  On/Off the Ball has also gone off the boil.  Time to replace it, get some of the younger presenters from the football podcasts and let them bring it into the 21st century.

This ,this ,this  ,and this . 

It's just utter dross and needs replaced .

14 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Be careful what you wish for. I personally like Cowan (But am not a regular listener to OtB admittedly) and whilst I can appreciate that objectively, he's utter shite, he's still a hell of a lot better than the vast vast majority of options that stink out the BBC offices.

They have Steven Thompson as a presenter FFS.

That is the problem. I used to catch OTB occasionally due to work commitments, and I quite enjoyed it in those small infrequent doses, but more recently my work has me travelling on a Saturday around the time it is on. When listening week on week it is quite clear that Cowan has no new insights or patter than when he started the show. A particular annoyance of mine is his continuance use of the word 'trope'. He also talks over Cosgrove time after time and his examples of events are always repeated ad nauseaum in preference to whatever tale Cosgrove has come up with. His response to the pitch invasion in 2016 also showed his true blue colours on that particular side of the OF of which he says he has no interest.

That is the problem. I used to catch OTB occasionally due to work commitments, and I quite enjoyed it in those small infrequent doses, but more recently my work has me travelling on a Saturday around the time it is on. When listening week on week it is quite clear that Cowan has no new insights or patter than when he started the show. A particular annoyance of mine is his continuance use of the word 'trope'. He also talks over Cosgrove time after time and his examples of events are always repeated ad nauseaum in preference to whatever tale Cosgrove has come up with. His response to the pitch invasion in 2016 also showed his true blue colours on that particular side of the OF of which he says he has no interest.
I'm sure I've told this story before, but Tam Cowan detests Hibs. A mate of mine used to do a Hibs fanzine and was a semi regular guest on OTB. Hibs were playing at Ibrox and the away end sold out. The guests on the programme were able to watch their teams games on a BBC feed with Tam and Stewart between the two shows. My mate asked Cosgrove if they could get a couple of additional bodies in as they didn't have tickets, and was told no bother. They were having a few beers watching the game, Hibs scored, a beer got knocked over by one of the invited guests, and utterly fucked Tam Cowans jokebook he'd been adding to for years. Complete tantrum to the point that everyone in the room thought he was at it so were laughing like f**k. Cowan stormed out of the room, and has hated Hibs ever since.

And that's the reason why Tam Cowan hates Hibs. His reaction to the 2016 final wasn't pro ***, it was anti Hibs.

On 22/07/2020 at 20:16, Stellaboz said:
On 22/07/2020 at 19:34, craigkillie said:
No, that's Sandra Brown.

Another absolutely fucking idiot not fit for purpose.

Between these two, Budge and Low it really doesn’t look good for woman interested in football.

3 hours ago, Lebowski said:

I'm sure I've told this story before, but Tam Cowan detests Hibs. A mate of mine used to do a Hibs fanzine and was a semi regular guest on OTB. Hibs were playing at Ibrox and the away end sold out. The guests on the programme were able to watch their teams games on a BBC feed with Tam and Stewart between the two shows. My mate asked Cosgrove if they could get a couple of additional bodies in as they didn't have tickets, and was told no bother. They were having a few beers watching the game, Hibs scored, a beer got knocked over by one of the invited guests, and utterly fucked Tam Cowans jokebook he'd been adding to for years. Complete tantrum to the point that everyone in the room thought he was at it so were laughing like f**k. Cowan stormed out of the room, and has hated Hibs ever since.

And that's the reason why Tam Cowan hates Hibs. His reaction to the 2016 final wasn't pro ***, it was anti Hibs.

Lies. 

Complete lies.

As if that odious Weegie ever had a joke book.

Whichever muppet is commentating the St Mirren v Livi game keeps Scott Robertson instead of Scott Robinson, done enough research to know he was the youngest Hearts debutant, so f**k knows how he keeps getting it wrong.

We've also apparently got Dom Thomas refereeing rather than Don Robertson.