Sportsound Watch

29 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

I just end up heading it with my nose or top of head and it ending up going completely the wrong direction. Can probably count from memory in 30 years the times I've connected with it properly as it's such a surprising occasion in my life. 

All done with my eyes closed the majority of the time of course...

When I played amateur football there was a lad who got a game based off the fact he was the managers son. He was over 6ft so thrown in at cb. Will never forget watching this ball come out of the sky with snow on it. He's judging it, sets himself and begins to attack the ball. He mistimed it badly. There was a horrifying thud, followed by a scream as he lay there holding his broken nose.

Funny as f**k.

3 minutes ago, Tannadeechee said:

Hated heading the ball, almost managed.to end up 3 inches shorter when jumping for a header than I was if I just stood still. Scored once with a header, goal line stramash and the ball ended up at head hight, couldn't miss!!

Scored a cracker with header, glancing dive straight into the top left hand corner. Own goal unfortunately. I stopped heading wet muddy balls on the half way line from a goal kick when I didn't feel quite right for a week, way before they even talked about brain damage risks for boxers. Might explain some of my posts here.

1 hour ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

Rangers no7. We all have that mate who comes along to play football down the astro who is scared to head the ball but makes a token gesture jump when the ball comes in. 

He missed it by a mile there. 

Ian Ferguson

2 hours ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Eoin Jess reminiscing today. The goal at Ibrox he talks about was an absolute screamer.

I could watch that goal on repeat for the rest of my life and not tire of it.

And it’s a superb interview with the boot being put into Rangers on a number of occasions. Fantastic stuff.

Edited by kingjoey

1 hour ago, aDONisSheep said:

Hemin, fit ye sayin'?  I used to hate having to try and head goalies kicks.

Corners... fine

Crosses... fine

Blocking shots... fine

But hoooooofs in the wind with some hoor clatterin' into the back of you, were by far the worst balls I had to deal with!

Yours, I coulda' bin professional if not for my lack of fitness, talent and application!

aDONis

Hoofs were the bain of my footballing life.

Don't know what I hated the most. Either constantly being told to "at least challenge for the ball/make it difficult for them" then being moaned at when the guy 5 inches taller than me won the header, or getting all set, doing the wee "yes keeper" shout and jostling about with the opposition only for the keeper/defender to pillow foot it to the edge of the box or slice it out the park.

3 hours ago, JTS98 said:

I find it interesting the way it is a label sarcastically applied to someone who is quite demonstrably a successful businesswoman. But there you go.

If you feel that she is in fact a successful businesswoman, why are you so upset?

3 hours ago, JTS98 said:

I find it interesting the way it is a label sarcastically applied to someone who is quite demonstrably a successful businesswoman. But there you go.

Successful posting person JTS98 complains when people call successful businesswoman Ann Budge "successful businesswoman Ann Budge" at the same time saying successful businesswoman Ann Budge is a successful businesswoman.

Aye, that all makes sense.

Edited by Ric

It reminds me of Mark Antony's "and Brutus is an honourable man" [emoji846]

On 28/07/2020 at 14:03, JamesM82 said:

English whining about Doncaster's statement yesterday, as if he wouldn't have been calling for Doncaster's head on a pike if it had gone the other way.

I thought he did (fairly) suggest that Neil Doncaster was right to think it considering the pressure he must have been under but maybe should have left that thought in his head.  I would agree. 

4 hours ago, JTS98 said:

I see it as being like the death penalty. Lots of Americans point out that you know something is grim when you share it in common with Iran, Saudi Arabia, China, North Korea etc.

You look at who the biggest fans of the 'successful businesswoman' chat are and you shiver.

I agree with the point you make here but I think the people we think of in the second part are different. 

17 hours ago, kingjoey said:

I could watch that goal on repeat for the rest of my life and not tire of it.

And it’s a superb interview with the boot being put into Rangers on a number of occasions. Fantastic stuff.

Just listening now. Chick had actually grown on me in recent weeks, until today when he was getting slagged off for his “exclusive” that Jess had signed for Rangers, when someone let slip that, on the day that story broke, Rangers were actually playing Aberdeen. The oldest trick in the book to unsettle the Old Firm’s opponents if their lickspittles in the media feel there’s any chance of an upset, and he was complicit in that kind of pish down the years. 

Edited by Junior_Arab

Eoin Jess came across really well in that podcast. A principled guy who wasn't afraid to turn Rangers down at the age of 16 given the way they had rejected him, plus the fact he turned down a potentially lucrative move to Italy in the early days of Bosman because he wanted Aberdeen to receive a transfer fee after everything they had done for him.

On the Chick Young exclusive, I think on that occasion Chick was a useful puppet for Rangers, unsettling Jess and the Aberdeen squad in the build up to the game. However, Chick Young probably genuinely believed what the Ibrox management had fed him...otherwise he was risking whatever credibility he had; after all he is still pilloried about it to this day. Undoubtedly, Rangers were using Young to unsettle their opponents.

Finally, once again it was Kenny McIntyre who picked up on the timing of the story and called Chick Young out on it. McIntyre has impressed me more than I expected in recent weeks.

25 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Jess was great. Obviously. Love that man.

Although his story about the 'who do you want to win the league' article was pretty naive. What did he expect when a DR journalist asks him that?

Just say Aberdeen and move on.

It would be a surprise if a paper story affected any player on their performance, anyway he got it right Celtic won the league.
There is no doubt he didn't fulfill his potential another player that made bad moves. 

Just now, Junior Pub League said:

It gets good when shite (former) Tv tit David Tanner joins in and makes a complete James Hunt of himself.

Joins in to correct Evan that it was in fact him that said the cringe line. :lol: